Suggestions for first IEMs?
Apr 19, 2013 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Exiled

New Head-Fier
Hello I've looked at a few IEM threads on here and still can't decide on a suitable pair of IEMs.  I would like to go with a high end/top tier IEM from the start.

Price: ~$300 ( Possibly +$50-$100)

Music:  Mostly female vocals ( Techno, Trance, and Pop).  Occasionally some light Dubstep and Rap.

Preferences:
  1. Detachable Cable.
  2. Straight down wear ( Will still consider over the ear).
  3. Would like to feel like I'm at the concert with instrument separation and vocals.

Preferred Seller: Amazon

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 16
Thank you for the response, the sm2 doesn't appear to have the best review, is there a reason for that?

Also, what do you think of some of the more expensive headphones such as Westone (W4, W3 and UM3x). Or other brands such as Etymotic, Sennheiser and Ultimate Ears? Are these options simply too overpriced?

Thank you

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 16
When the Sm1 appeared, the asking price was 200euros (260$) which was insanely expensive, the Sm2 V2 probably was the same. Nowadays, a balance armature with high quality detachable cable for 100$ is a good deal. 

I have an important question: Which headphones, IEMs you previously owned? Intended use?  

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 16
you probably want something more bass heavy so dynamic driver iems would be better for the music you listen to

is there a reason for the detachable cable? since if theres no need, there are a lot more options out there that can match what you want

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 16
I would personally look at something like a T-Peos IEM or even the Atomic Floyd SuperDarts (I haven't heard the T-Peos).  The T-Peos is said to have quite a large soundstage (despite being artificial) with the signature you are looking for.  Female vocals may be a little sharp for you, as may the treble.  The Atomic Floyd have a similar sound signature as well, but most likely to a lesser extent.

EDIT: I would also add the Monster Turbine Pro series and Gratitude to the list of things to look at :wink:  As well as the TF10 (if you can find a way to wear it down).

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
Hello I've looked at a few IEM threads on here and still can't decide on a suitable pair of IEMs.  I would like to go with a high end/top tier IEM from the start.

Price: ~$300 ( Possibly +$50-$100)

Music:  Mostly female vocals ( Techno, Trance, and Pop).  Occasionally some light Dubstep and Rap.

Preferences:
  1. Detachable Cable.
  2. Straight down wear ( Will still consider over the ear).
  3. Would like to feel like I'm at the concert with instrument separation and vocals.

Preferred Seller: Amazon

Thank you in advance for any responses.

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-278-iems-compared-astrotec-am-800-dx-60-added-03-31-13-p-659

$300, detachable cable, female vocals, separation, straight down - but if you do consider over-the-ear wear, it really sounds like the UM3X you're describing here. Not so much the UM2 or the SM2 as they're less diffuse and more about presenting as a whole, although vocals are still quite nice. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #9 of 16
Thank you for all the responses, I thought maybe I posted in the wrong section.

I wanted a detachable cable, because that is usually the first thing to go on cheaper headphones I have bought in the past.

I ordered the etymotic er4-pt (before I saw these posts) and they are on their way. Did I make the wrong choice, should I return them when I receive them?

Thanks again

Edit: I didn't realize there was a thread for asking these questions, I apologize.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #10 of 16
I don't think ER4PT will make you happy since you listen to genres that require a lot of bass. I'm not a basshead so I'm totally fine with my ER4PT, I think when I listen to it critically, I get enough bass. For you, I think you'd be better with TDK BA200. It was my primary IEM before I got the ER4PT and it gave me some eargasm when I focused on the vocals. And it has pretty good bass too.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #11 of 16
How would you describe the ER4PT IEMs? I got them mostly because of some of the glowing reviews. Also what made you switch to them?

Don't get me wrong I do like bass, but I dont want it to be too dominant. I'd actually prefer the vocals to be more pronounced if anything.

Also, are the cables detachable, I can't really tell and are the etymotic foam tips any good?

Sorry for going on and on, thank you.

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
When the Sm1 appeared, the asking price was 200euros (260$) which was insanely expensive, the Sm2 V2 probably was the same. Nowadays, a balance armature with high quality detachable cable for 100$ is a good deal. 

I have an important question: Which headphones, IEMs you previously owned? Intended use?  

On Earsonics website, the SM1 is still going for 200euros - I pulled the trigger on the ones at Amazon for $99 - it is enough of a low price so if I don't appreciate the signature, I won't consider slitting my wrists.

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 16
I would have suggested Shure SE425, brilliant build, comfort and a great all rounder

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
On Earsonics website, the SM1 is still going for 200euros - I pulled the trigger on the ones at Amazon for $99 - it is enough of a low price so if I don't appreciate the signature, I won't consider slitting my wrists.

Once you get them, post your impressions. I wanted them for myself but I have other monetary priorities...

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Once you get them, post your impressions. I wanted them for myself but I have other monetary priorities...

Definitely - I am interested in how they compare to my other BA phones. There are things I like about both dynamic and BA - the only BA I was not too impressed with were my Sony XBA1IP - they are competent, but they seem to have both the highs and lows rolled off more than I like - their emphasis is on mids - but there doesn't seem to be much life in them. I am listening to some Zappa on my VC02's now. These have some great midrange emphasis, but are much more lively. Microdrivers I guess. Oh, and they don't roll off the highs and lows - the lows are solid.... Here we go.... The guitar solo on "Carolina Hard Core Ecstasy" is brilliant... 

musicaccoustics is still selling the SM1 V2 for $228 + shipping and the SM2 V2 for $328 + shipping...

$99 is worth a try from a good company

Users who are viewing this thread

Back