Suggestions for Closed Headphones for Rock/Metal
Dec 25, 2012 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Hydrohs

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to get myself a good set of closed headphones for music, mostly for listening to rock and metal but I also listen to some hip-hop and electronic stuff. I'm looking at spending at most $400, with some flexibility if necessary. Comfort is a big factor as well, as I'll be wearing them for long periods of time. They'll be driven by a Xonar Essence STX, they're not going to be moved or travelling so size is no issue.

I should also mention that they need to be able to be shipped to Canada, so many things on Amazon.com wont ship here. If it's on Amazon.ca that's fantastic, but as long as they ship to Canada it's fine.

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 12
Hydrohs,

Surprisingly enough, one does not need to spend as much as $400 on a set of closed headphones. Of course, I would prefer a nicer headphone...
smily_headphones1.gif
 I recently received an excellent pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohms).   They are closed and provide a very flat level which is perfect for almost every genre.  These cans are like heaven to wear, sometimes I don't even know they are on!  The cups are velvet lined and the padding on the top is extra comfortable.  Comfort won't be an issue.  These headphones are made in Germany (which makes them very durable)  Everything is solid and well put together.  

The 250 ohm version is on Amazon.ca website here.  They are not the same as mine, but are built the same.  
Ebay also has some good ones on from time to time.  

Good luck! 

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #3 of 12
I had been looking at those. They look comfortable and I liked the styling of them as well. Is the Essence STX enough to drive the 250 ohm version or would I better off getting the 80 ohm, or an amp? I know the STX has one built in but not sure how good it is.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 12
Okay, I have been looking up your Sound Card and ASUS says it "drives every available headphone".  I guess that is possible, but I have a similar sound card and I think the BeyerDynamic DT 770 pro (80 ohm) headphones sound better with an headphone amp.  You could spend your extra money on a nice headphone amp.  It doesn't hurt! Plus, sound cards won't last as long as amps.  Just a suggestion.  

That said:  I would buy the 250 ohm version only if you were planning on getting an amp.  Otherwise, your sound card should be enough to power the 80 ohm version.  Although I would buy an amp and test it out.  You can always return things.  

Good luck shopping, MCL 

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Is the Essence STX enough to drive the 250 ohm version or would I better off getting the 80 ohm, or an amp?

It would work fine with the 250 Ω version (I have it and the STX as well). If anything, the amplifier on the card would be slightly worse with the 80 Ω headphones.
Note however that the higher impedance version has a coiled cord.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

It would work fine with the 250 Ω version (I have it and the STX as well). If anything, the amplifier on the card would be slightly worse with the 80 Ω headphones.

Usually the more resistance (ohms) an headphone has, the more power it needs to be driven correctly by the source... that is basically the opposite of what you said...

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 12
denons!!

if you can still find a pair of d2000 somewhere, they're awesome!

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Usually the more resistance (ohms) an headphone has, the more power it needs to be driven correctly by the source... that is basically the opposite of what you said...

I did not say anywhere that power is an issue for the DT770-80. Power is not the only factor determining how good a headphone amplifier is. There is in fact less (but still enough) power driving the 250 Ω version, but better sound quality.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

I did not say anywhere that power is an issue for the DT770-80. Power is not the only factor determining how good a headphone amplifier is. There is in fact less (but still enough) power driving the 250 Ω version, but better sound quality.

True, there is also the sensitivity (in sound pressure per power) of two headphones that can be the same even if the resistance is different.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 12
The 80 ohm headphones sound a lot worse without some sort of amplification.  Trust me.  When I first got them I just plugged them in to my computer and I wanted my money back.  But, after I plugged them into an amp...OH MY!  so, much better. Very good headphones.   I have heard sometimes an amp will "overplay" the drivers on the headphones.  I could see why stv014  is saying that.    

MCL 

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

I'd actually prefer that I think. I sit only about three-four feet away from my computer, so having the coiled cable would help reduce clutter when it's not on my head.
Quote:
denons!!

if you can still find a pair of d2000 somewhere, they're awesome!

None available on Amazon and the only pair on eBay is going for 600 dollars, little over my budget there.

Sounds like the DT770 Pro 250 ohm is what I'll go for. Thanks a lot for your help folks.

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
I'm looking to get myself a good set of closed headphones for music, mostly for listening to rock and metal but I also listen to some hip-hop and electronic stuff. I'm looking at spending at most $400, with some flexibility if necessary. Comfort is a big factor as well, as I'll be wearing them for long periods of time. They'll be driven by a Xonar Essence STX, they're not going to be moved or travelling so size is no issue.

I should also mention that they need to be able to be shipped to Canada, so many things on Amazon.com wont ship here. If it's on Amazon.ca that's fantastic, but as long as they ship to Canada it's fine.

Heya,

The Beyer DT770 PRO 250ohm, Custom One Pro, AudioTechnica A900X, Mr Speakers Mad Dogs, AKG K167's, and Ultrasone PRO 750's would all be great choices for your needs.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back