Suggestions for a good tube headphone amp kit or plans
Apr 21, 2005 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Lee Harvey

Head-Fier
I love tube amps and I have done alot of work rebuilding the six that I have. Each one is different but the are like children. They are yours but each one is different but you love them just the same. Dose anyone know of any good kits for headphone amps or plans for a good headphone amp. Like Tangent, I love the smell of solder in the morning, it smells like Victory!

Apr 21, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 9
Those look great. Thanks for the link!

Apr 21, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 9
Lee,

You might also check out a couple others:

1. The Bottlehead S.E.X. amp.

2. The Sijosae Hybrid Amp - search the forum for info.

3. The Peter Millett Hybrid Amp

The last two are low-power (24Vish) much less expensive (under a hundred bucks) but require more thought and work as they are true DIY in the fact that you have to source all the parts and build your own case.

I've built a Millett hybrid and am currently co-leading a group that is modifying the original design. Look for a group buy for the PCB's to start sometime in early May, if you're interested.

HTH,

Nate

Apr 22, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 9
Since you seem used to work on amps with serious voltage, there's a whole collection of amps at headwize, with or without output transformers : http://headwize.com/projects/index.htm

If you're crazy, search for the thread here called "March Madness" by Kevin Gilmore.

For something in the spirit of the Pete Millet but slightly more sophisticated, look for "A very different kind of hybrid", still by Kevin Gilmore.

Apr 22, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 9
The Peter Millet amp is kind of the community vogue right now (because of the new PCB design by drewd etc. which looks excellent) but there are lots of other options out there.

About the only one that I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet is the K-12M tube amp kit (available from several sources). It is meant for speakers but I know people use it for K1000s or (through an adapter) for headphones.

Apr 22, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for all of the links and ideas guys! I really liked the link to the Bottlehead site.
icon10.gif
Actually I am really interested in the amp kits that they offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back