Suggesting headphones to an important friend, $ no option
Mar 5, 2011 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SumthingWicked

New Head-Fier
I've got a relatively important friend who's asking me for help picking out some mobile headphones. He's got plenty of money, so cost isn't really an issue. He's 15, and his friends are getting Studio Beats, and he knows he doesn't want them, but his have to compete with them in the bass department. Sound quality is most important, then comfort, then looks. I've been suggesting the AT M50, because there is so much support for them around here. But he's only going to be using them off of his iPhone4. He doesn't want an amp. I want something that will make his friends realize that they made stupid mistakes spending $300 on Beats.

So, if you had anywhere up to $500 to spend on a mobile set of HPs, what would you suggest? Something better than the M50s? I suggested some high end IEMs too, and he's open to the idea, but I haven't heard enough of them to know if they have the sound signature he's looking for. 

Like I said, he's 15, so I'm not looking for the sorts of cans that have the argument where people go back and forth with "They're not low on bass, they're NEUTRAL" because for a 15 year old, that's not enough bass. 

So, closed back (or IEM), great bass (punchy), portable (iPhone, no amp), for pretty much any money. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 10
haha not the mob. He's an "up and coming musician" and so I didn't want him to end up getting something crappy. Too late though. At least his fans will think he looks cool.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 10
I'm really not sure that the guitar center is all that great around here. I'm planning to go up there today actually, but when I go to the site, most of the headphones say that they have a "ship to store" option, which to me implies that they aren't just there. And I've seen a few comments from people saying that they've gone to guitar centers and that they don't let you test the headphones out. We'll see I guess.

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 10
I feel like trying IEMs might be a little bit different than trying full sized cans... Heck, I won't let people use my IEMs. And I wouldn't buy a pair that I knew had been in someone else's ears... I feel like buying something that's been IN someone's body is pretty gross.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back