Suggested headphones for children?
Jul 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jj69

500+ Head-Fier
My nephew is turning 8 in a couple of weeks and I'm getting him a Clip+ with Rockbox for his birthday. 

Just wondering what would be an appropriate and comfortable pair of headphones for a young child. 

IEMs are definitely out of the question.  I would like to get him something full size, yet still portable and manageable enough for him to take on long car trips and even on an airplane. 

Any suggestions? 

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 14
Dang - those $5 Klipsch at Office Depot would have been good - KSC75? Clip on style - good sound and on the ear.

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 14
Well, This could upset some of the more sensitive HF'ers here. If so, look away now :D

My 5 yr old deserves decent music as much as i do tbh, so when she asked for a pair of earphones for her (My old Simless phone) Music player, i had a look around.

I quickly discarded the "Built for children" stuff like Crayola etc. Utter marketing  nonsense imho. My kids use my earphones and always go for the better sounding ones.

Anyway, after a little looking, my local store were selling off Fannywang 1001's because "Nobody wants them, they want the beats stuff regardless" according to the rep.

Down from €150 to €45

That drop really caught my eye.

Anyway, She was bought them on a whim as much as anything.

1stly, she was thrilled with them. They look the dogs tbh (like beats) and are Pink. Whats not to like.

Secondly, ( and in direct contrast to guff posted elswhere) i (currently) think these are really well  made. The cable is really robust and has an splitter in it which is a cool idea for the kids. The hinge headband looks bombproof. The build of the pads etc is also strong and the finish is quality.

Finally, you know they don't sound too bad. Better than my PX100's and better than all of the the other std in-box gear i have. Not up to the stuff i use daily, but not so far away i wouldn't be to irked if i (style ignoring) i were to wear them for a day. The bass is the best, but the highs and mids are not awful by anymeans. 

They are leaps and bouds above anything my other kids have and they are well Jelly. Teh missus loves them :)

They are on-ear. A good thing for kids.

Finally, the name. Fanny-wang :lol: 

Worth €150?  To me, no, i don't value form over substance, but to my other females in my house i think they would say yes (Girls never really do worry about the price ticket, do they)

A steal at €45.

Minds me to say that i think giving a reasonable pair like this is far better than some poxy guff from the market etc. They will appreciate them so much more

:thumbup:

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 14
PS, Head-Fiers should be all over this post. Often it strikes me as bizzarre that we as adults seem to think children don't have a right to nice things :?

Its a nice gift to show and enable children to have good stuff as well 

Jul 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 14
Surprised at the lack of interest in this topic?  Hasn't anyone here bought headphones for the kids?  What are you using? 

I should have mentioned that the most important thing to me is probably fit/comfort.  Obviously, 8 year olds are small. I'm not sure what models would fit them comfortably.

For price, I'd like to stay under $25.  I have AT M10's and JVC S400's in my collection, so maybe I'll let him try on both and see if one of those is comfortable.  I was hoping not to give away the suprirse, but that may be the the smartest way to go about this. 

Jul 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #7 of 14
Well in that case if volume is an issue just leave it on the eu setting in the firmware of the clip plus sorted.

Jul 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 14
Volume is not an issue with this particular child.  He has a natural aversion to loud noises.  He's always the first one in the room to turn the television volume down. 

Jul 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 14
An ad for these popped up on a Youtube video I was watching just after I took a look in this thread. Never heard these headphones before, but I figured I'd chime in anyway as it's a sign from the music gods 
tongue.gif

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/247975/Sony-MDR-ZX-Studio-Style-Headphones/?cm_mmc=SundaySky-_-CategoryOn-Ear%20%26%20Over-The-Ear%20Headphones-_-15-_-247975

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 14
My first post here...been lurking for a while. My daughter turns 8 this month and loves my KEF M500's, although the fit is pretty sloppy for her little head.

I'm liking the Fanny-Wang's in pink. A bit pricy on Amazon. Going to take some convincing for my wife to spend over $25 on a set for her.

One selling point is the over ear being good for computer based learning with her 3 younger siblings running around!

Great post! Thanks! Looking forward to more suggestions/feedback!

Sep 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 14
null_zpscd1eb804.jpg

She loves them! Pretty impressive sound quality for less than $100!

These are the 3000 series Fanny Wangs. They show to be well made and she loves the color and style. The tight clamp suites her little head well.

Her sister turns 6 in November. Looks like another purchase may be in the near future! They shared via the in line splitter yesterday and had lots of fun. My younger daughter using my KEF M500's. she became frustrated though with the loose fit allowing them to slip off frequently. She's asking for a pair in orange like her sister's but looks like the 1000 series is the only orange offering.

Thanks to the previous poster for suggesting the Fanny's! They're a hit!

null_zps14b89491.jpg

Sep 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #12 of 14
heres a $25 carbon nanotube driver headphone that can punch above $100 class in sound quality

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jvc+ha+s400&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ajvc+ha+s400

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 14
heres a $25 carbon nanotube driver headphone that can punch above $100 class in sound quality

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jvc+ha+s400&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ajvc+ha+s400

I bought both S400's and S500's based on the praise for them here on Head-Fi. Both sound horrendous to me. Supposedly they need a lot of burn-in, so I've got well over 100 hours on each of them. Not much improvement at all. I just don't get it.

I did find some nicely built children's headphones at Radio Shack. They are from Radio Shack's in-house brand Auvio.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 14
I bought both S400's and S500's based on the praise for them here on Head-Fi. Both sound horrendous to me. Supposedly they need a lot of burn-in, so I've got well over 100 hours on each of them. Not much improvement at all. I just don't get it.

I did find some nicely built children's headphones at Radio Shack. They are from Radio Shack's in-house brand Auvio.

s400 sound like they can punch above $100 class to me.
1). Bass is controlled... Tight, fast, no sloppiness, not thick though definitely not lacking.
2). Mids is this headphone's forte. Clear and upfront, non fatiguing
3). Highs to me is smooth, but maybe blunted for those who come from or used to sound of sony mdr 7506.
4). Soundstage is ok for its class (closed, on-ear)

again, this balanced sounding $25 portable headphone can output sound that can punch above a class or two... or even three (in price).
s400 is more on the balance/neutral side and s500 is slightly hyped in bass and treble

also, reread the s400 and 500 threads
real improvements come from swapping stock earpads to a similar sized akg and audio technica earpads, not burning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back