Suggest New headphones to replace my broken Aviators
Jan 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

AdamDrive

New Head-Fier
Ok, So I'm new to this forum, but have been a fan of all the advice and suggestions here. Now I have an Issue, I need to get new headphones since the cable on my Skullcandy's gave out. I'm looking for some good headphones that Will play great jazz/classical/acoustic styles of music. I was looking into Hd 558, A few from Vmoda, and Audio technica m50. I mainly want a replaceable cord, i'm tired of going thru good headphones because of that. my price range is like 150ish i guess. Can anyone help???

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 27
SRH 840 ? The aviators have quite a bit more bass responce(i think from what i'm seeing on graphs)than the 840 but from ur genre'/s the SRH840's should do wonders

The SRH840's have memory foam pads and have a detachable cord. Just saying...but most audiophile headphones usually have NO PROBELM whatsoever with something wrong with cords

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 27
AKG K240 Studio or AKG K240 Mk II would do well with the music styles you've mentioned, and have removable cables.  They are basically the same, but the Mk II's have extra pads and an extra cable included.

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 27

Quote:
AKG K240 Studio or AKG K240 Mk II would do well with the music styles you've mentioned, and have removable cables.  They are basically the same, but the Mk II's have extra pads and an extra cable included.

that's also a good suggestion but it feels like he needs fully closed can's and doesn't want an amp.

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 27
The K240's are semi-open, but leak very little sound.  And they'll run without an amp ok; they are 55 ohm.  An amp will improve their sound, but that is true of many headphones.

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 27

Quote:
Will an amp make a significant difference? If so, I'll make the investment.

any headphone that is an audiophile headphone.....yes. once you hear your headphones with an amp and LOD and with CD ripped files. you will never be able to go back again.
Do you have an iPod? Yes? Get an FiiO L9 LOD then with an FiiO E6 or E11. 
but yeah the AKG 240 and SRH 840 are both good choices. they are pretty different, but from what i  hear does those genre's well :) i have the SRH 440's which has been reviewed to be more neutral and less bass..and it does those genre's like a boss.

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 27

Quote:
I'm looking for some good headphones that Will play great jazz/classical/acoustic styles of music. I was looking into Hd 558, A few from Vmoda, and Audio technica m50.

For your genre of music, HD558 is effectively a very good choice, more mid bass than HD598 and especially a much bigger soundstage than SRH840, very important for acoustic/classical/jazz.

Quote:
but from what i  hear does those genre's well :)

Classical/jazz/acoustic? not the best genre for srh840 and k240 imo.

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #9 of 27

Quote:

For your genre of music, HD558 is effectively a very good choice, more mid bass than HD598 and especially a much bigger soundstage than SRH840, very important for acoustic/classical/jazz.

Classical/jazz/acoustic? not the best genre for srh840 and k240 imo.

DVDRey to the RESCUE! Hahah. I don't know much about Sennheiser's or Beyer's just some little facts here and there >_<

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 27

Quote:
DVDRey to the RESCUE! Hahah.

Well, I speak only about headphones that I have or I had, its easier to help people choices,lol, but my opinion is subjective, we all have different perceptions.

Quote:
Seeing the price the headphones are, is there a similar set of headphones for like 150? I want to get the best for myself and preferably have them last me a few years

SRH840 is probably more robust than HD558, but for your genre of music, the HD558 is better imo. HD558 is also more comfortable. Both are very good headphone with a similar price, all depends of your genre.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 27
If you like a lot of bass I would get the Ultrasone HFI-580, if not then the SRH840. The Ultrasone isn't so great for classical, but I love mine for acoustic and jazz. Don't worry about replaceable cables here. If you get a good quality headphone, the cable won't be a problem. Skullcandy cables are no competition to the headphones recommended on Head-Fi.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
If you like a lot of bass I would get the Ultrasone HFI-580, if not then the SRH840. The Ultrasone isn't so great for classical, but I love mine for acoustic and jazz. Don't worry about replaceable cables here. If you get a good quality headphone, the cable won't be a problem. Skullcandy cables are no competition to the headphones recommended on Head-Fi.

Exactly what I said. We got another one here. but then again. We don't have the SRH 840 and the HD558, DVDRey does and can make a more fair and beter A/B comparisson.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
Don't worry about replaceable cables here. If you get a good quality headphone, the cable won't be a problem.

Its true, but a removable cable is always a plus imo, for reliability and storage,lol.

You know, you can unintentionally rippe a cable from an expensive headphone, i have already done with a 300$ headphones,lol, and its still not very expensive, imagine with ED10 or PS1000
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back