Suggest Me A Soundcard?
Jul 19, 2010 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

UrkelzPro

New Head-Fier
I am currently looking to upgrade my soundcard from an XtremeGamer to something else. I would like to get something that doesn't just focus on gaming, but focuses on music and media also. My budget is going to be around $150, and that is either $150 new or $150 for something used.

EDIT: I will probably be running the A700's with this card.

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 23
Auzen X-FI Forte, or Prelude.

Essence ST/STX specs/measurements are amazing but the drivers come from cmedia and suck. If you don't mind gimp drivers for another year or two, and waiting forever on drivers whenever a new OS comes out then buy ASUS...

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 23
I'd also take a look at some more pro-oriented offerings, if you're not going to use a 5.1 setup for gaming, anything stereo that sounds good will be ok for any use, within your price range you should find the ESI  Juli@ and the E-MU 1212M...however if you intend to drive your cans directly, the ASUS card might be better as it has a dedicated headphone output section.

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
I have heard a lot of good things about the Forte, but haven't heard that many good things about the STX. Anymore suggestions?

I've been using and following the Xonar threads for long here, and Xonar is so far all very stable to me.
Do you mind make a comparison list between the 2? What is the good thing and what is the bad thing?

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 23
The only problem with ASUS cards is the drivers, and the fact ASUS releases drivers 6 to 12 months after they're needed (and still don't fix the problems). The hardware itself is better than Auzentech's.

In Windows 7, WASAPI/ASIO have never worked properly on ASUS cards. Older drivers: asio/wasapi crackle when another sound is attempting to play, like the dings in mirc or the clicks from Explorer. On the beta driver, wasapi/asio are prone to freezing foobar. Everything else has been fine for me,  I play a lot of games.

Eventually, ASUS will probably fix the W7 drivers - but when Windows 8 comes, you'll probably wish you had an Auzentech.

X-FI chipset is "better" for gamers still using inferior, obsolete OSes like XP, but in Vista/7 it won't make a difference.

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 23
Well in that case I think I am going to rule Asus out of the picture, and add Creative in its place. As for Auzentech, I am going with the Forte as my choice. Does anyone know any good sounding Creative cards for around $150 new/used?

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
doesn't just focus on gaming, but focuses on music and media also

There is another option you might like to consider. Audio Interfaces like the ESI U24 XL  E-MU 0202, M-Audio Fast Track are well within your budget and do everything you require.

For just a liitle more you could get a lovely Focusrite Saffire 6, E-MU 0404 or M-Audio fast Track Pro. I was surprised to find how useful it to have access to multiple simultaneous channels in and out. Now I wouldn't be without it. 

Will not suit everyone but check some of those devices out with the magic google machine.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 23
I had a similar issue. I have PCI E-MU 04004 and just built a Win7 32Bit machine for my office and was going to use S/PDIF Optical Out to new DAC I am testing (DAC Wow with 24/96 S/PDIF and USB 16/48 inputs) and was bummed to see the drivers are not supported anymore (Only WDM drivers out there without patchmix).

So I spent some time looking for a $100 solution to the problem and ended up with an HT Omega Claro PCI card ($159, a bit over budget). It has TOSLINK Optical S/PDIF with a C-Media CMI8788 chip and Wolfson WM8785G for up to 24/192 ADC resolution which was important as I want to digitize my vinyl now that I have my TT at work. So this unit would take care of my need for high qulaity S/PDIF Optical Out (supports Coax too) and High Res Analog in.

I also sprang for an Amphenol Ultra Premium TOSLink Metal Shield Glass Fiber Cable for $40.
So for $200 I have upgraded from the versatle and loved 0404 and gotten a bit newer technology in the process. I would reccomend checking out the HT Omega as it is sold on NewEgg.
You mave have specific needs that are more important to you and less to me. Asus makes some nice cards and until 7/31 they are throwing in a Blu-Ray Player to boot. Also HT Omega had some better cards, but I only needed a good S/PDIF and A/D area with Win7 support.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271002

http://www.htomega.com/claro.html

http://www.cablesondemand.com/Library/InfoManage/Items.asp?product=AV%2DTOSLQGMSMM
Enter HDMISALE for additional 20% off if you are interested in this cable.

Hope this helps you!

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #14 of 23
I'm not sure if the "hogwash" was aimed at me. I was not trying to get anyone to "fall for" anything.
I believe $28 (on sale) is an excellent price for a glass fiber cable, that's all.
In my circle of friends it is not uncommon to spend 20 or 30 on a cable, and even 100 if we are buy low level signal cables like a phono cable.
I am not sure why you would post something about falling for hogwash when I am sharing info on a sale price for a well constructed cable by an industry recognized name in electrical supplies (Amphenol).

Anyway, have a good weekend!

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
Well in that case I think I am going to rule Asus out of the picture, and add Creative in its place. As for Auzentech, I am going with the Forte as my choice. Does anyone know any good sounding Creative cards for around $150 new/used?

Hehe, I'm selling my modified Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty. Wouldn't be a huge step but it's still a step :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back