Suggest me a good headphone
Jan 18, 2013 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Birdman74

Head-Fier
hey guys and gals, I need suggestions on a new set of headphones,  I will use them for everyday stuff mostly music and movies. I don't listen to rap or hip hop. I'm not thinking about a budget right now, but wouldn't want to spend a thousand bucks either. I want something good, that will last. I don't have an amp or dac, and I am not looking to get one soon, I am not an audiophile but appreciate good sound quality, lets say Beyers DT800 seems to be a good benchmark that people around here like to use.

my criterias and things I want

- no sound leaking, non open headphones that I can listen to my privacy
- must have good audio reproduction, minimum DT880 or close,
- no spiral cabling, very long cable around 4m / 15 foot, I can ease on this if recabling on cheap is an option
- possibly a volume control pod, really need this feature as I want to change volume on the fly

my first choice was to get either the takstar hi 2050 or Pro80 but the hi 2050 is open headphones so there will be a lot of sound leaking, and it also has an extension cable. The Pro80's however I like but the have this monstrously horrible spiral telephone cord like cable that will pull strain, neither one have a volume controller and to recable them will cost me a fortune since I got no help sourcing anybody who sells proper microphone stereo cable and willing to ship internationally. Would consider ebay but the mogami cables I found were too expensive or already pre wired and had connectors or they were being sold for hundreds of feet when I only need maybe 15 feet.

anyway, thanks for your time and input towards helping me source my perfect headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 17
FYI, DT880 are semi-open. If size does not matter & mic & remote isn't a deal breaker, K550 sounds good :)

Edit: MDR-1R are good too. You can always get a extension cable :)

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 17
If you spend a fair bit of money on a set of headphones I would think you would want an amp to make them sound their best. I know you said you weren't interested in one and I'm sure there are headphones in the price range your looking at that don't require one, but I'm betting it would make any of them sound better. I'm going off the DT880 benchmark here too BTW, about a 300ish dollar headphone. 

And another thing, I'm no expert so take that for what its worth, but I don't know of any high end headphones with a volume control. If you get an amp that will solve that as well. I woudlnt even think you would need a really expensive one in that price range. You could hit the FS section here and get a CMOY or something like that for around 50 or so. 

Take this from a guy that listed to a pair of DT770s for years without an amp and totally loved them. Then got an amp and therye like totally different headphones now...it made that much of a difference and its by far no high dollar amp. Just a fiio E10  

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 17
hey bud, an amp is all good and nice until you realize its also going to be sitting with your equipment so if you are sitting at a distance watching movies, listening to music or playing games you will have to come back to the computer screen or table or whatever to lower the volume. I play games too so you know a little volume controller can do wonders for changing the volume instantly.

I started a topic at OCN aswell, didn't get much help, isn't there any great headphones that have volume control? I really wanted to get a set of D880 or maybe a Takstar Pro80 or something in that level but realized they don't have one, which is a big turn off for me.

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 17
hey bud, an amp is all good and nice until you realize its also going to be sitting with your equipment so if you are sitting at a distance watching movies, listening to music or playing games you will have to come back to the computer screen or table or whatever to lower the volume. I play games too so you know a little volume controller can do wonders for changing the volume instantly.

I started a topic at OCN aswell, didn't get much help, isn't there any great headphones that have volume control? I really wanted to get a set of D880 or maybe a Takstar Pro80 or something in that level but realized they don't have one, which is a big turn off for me.
There's nothing with a remote and a very long cable.

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 17
Jan 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #9 of 17
That sounds close to as good as a DT880? Nope.

Then whats the best I can get that has one? or any way to get around this?

side question. can I install a volume controller from my old Takstar on the DT880 or something else lets say Takstar Pro80 without having any noticeable drawbacks or huge difference?
The Sennheiser Momentum or V-Moda M100, I'd go for the Momentum, both would need an extension cable also.

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 17
The Sennheiser Momentum or V-Moda M100, I'd go for the Momentum, both would need an extension cable also.

Those dont look very favorable.

can't I install any high quality inline volume controls on mine? There must be something audiophile quality or at least high enough quality not to cause disturbance with the audio impedance of the headphone?

http://www.blowsmeaway.com/xlr.html

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

Those dont look very favorable.

can't I install any high quality inline volume controls on mine? There must be something audiophile quality or at least high enough quality not to cause disturbance with the audio impedance of the headphone?

http://www.blowsmeaway.com/xlr.html

Can't help with that, if you want high fidelity, your going to have to live without a remote..

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #13 of 17
The AKG 551 has some kind of inline volume controls that work with Apple devices, not sure if it works with anything else.

It says

In-line microphone and remote control

K551 headphones have an in-line microphone so that you can make calls that are every bit as crisp and noise-free as the music you listen to on your iPhone. The mic is ideal for FaceTime and Skype™ applications, and virtually any app requiring a microphone. The headphones’ three-button remote lets you control the playback functions and volume from iPhone and iPad devices, as well as Apple laptops and desktop computers.

any idea if this will work with non apple devices such as a PC / Windows Computer? Or are such remotes available to be purchased separately?

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 17
I have an idea.

Why not I make the cable removable? I mean solid interconnects or with quick connectors or something? so lets say the cable comes out of the headphone about 9" then I cut it and place a interconnect between the wires, that way I can switch between the old cable with the volume control and the original cable and compare the quality and change them as I like??

Anybody know any good and appropriate interconnects / extension or whatever its called for the job? you know things that wont just come off if I pulled on the cable, maybe requires to be twisted in order to be removed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back