sugden headmaster just BLEW UP!!!
Feb 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #17 of 24

Quote:
The SAME exact thing happened to the Headmaster I had, years ago (~2003/2004?). On mine, that metal shield was loosely taped-on (with electrical tape; sloppy), IIRC, and it must have popped out during shipping to me - causing the short. Blew the fuse as soon as it was powered up the first time...then again, etc. Had a friend that opened it, diagnosed the cause, and zip-tied the hell out of that thing till it stayed put for good. All was fine afterwards (sold it a few years back); hopefully that's also the case here.

this is EXACTLY the same as my issue (see pic below).  I remember when it blew, was a very hot day, the glue from the electrical tape must have melted and come unstuck, then bang, POOR show Sugden, poor show.

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #18 of 24
one thing to note is that the switch on the back seems to have gone, that is when switched on it flips straight off again, could this be broken also?? And if so how do i fix this?? Also (lol) what how do i find out what fuses this needs?

Are you talking about a socket with switch or just a standalone switch? Does the socket integrate the fuse & switch together? Does it need the GND pin?

Feb 22, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #19 of 24
Hope you get your Sugden up and running soon!
Had mine for a while. Nice amp. Quite reliable once you secure that poorly implemented metal shield band. Could probably be sonically improved at modest cost by replacing that mediocre motorized RK27 pot (at the loss of the remote volume control feature), along with the usual passive components that may be of lower than desired quality. 

Didn't find the "magic" with the ATH-W2002 (in retrospect I don't really think there's much to be had from those cans) on my stock unit, and while I liked other more expensive amps better, the Sugden was very enjoyable indeed with the likes of the ATH-L3000, Qualia 010, and JVC DX1000. A bit lacking as a driver of the Sony MDR-R10. Perhaps the theme there is that I found the R10 & W2002 to be inherently lacking in bass.

It also makes a halfway decent preamp; preferred it to the PS Audio PCA-2, even with the latter in balanced mode into the matching HCA-2.

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #20 of 24
contacted sugden yesterday and told them that the fuse blew and they are posting one out to me free of charge, i know they cost virtually nothing, but that is a result! Just hope that the cable tied shield will suffice otherwise, i think i will be sending another email/calling sugden

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #23 of 24
You might also consider getting a glue gun and putting a big blob of glue on those exposed contacts.

Always wondered about this amp. There was a second-hand one in a store a few months ago, but I wasn't game to take a chance on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back