sugden headmaster just BLEW UP!!!
May 8, 2009 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

chaostheory1980

Head-Fier
my sugden headmaster just made a really loud noise and blew what seems like is the power pack. All i heard was a loud popping sound and then it wouldn't turn on again. So i decided to change the fuse, only to find that it was blown apart! (it was a glass one). so i decided to replace it and the same thing happened again, only the fuse did blow, just not into pieces. Can anyone help me? where can i send it to get it fixed? I am rather annoyed as i have only just burned in my ath-w1000s and it was just starting to sound really good
angry_face.gif

May 8, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 24
I feel sorry for you. Do you have pictures of the damage done the amp?

May 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 24
Is it still under warranty. I'd return it to the manufaturer and ask for a new one.

May 8, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 24
How much did you pay for it? If it is inexpensive in regards to the amout you have to pay to repair it, I'd just get a new one.

May 8, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 24
Pretty sure it is worth the repair - possibly take some good pics and post them in DIY for approximate troubleshooting and repair tips?

May 8, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 24
That is a good amp. Pop the top and put closeup photos in the DIY Forum. Be sure to take photos of any areas that look damaged. Some members will spot the problem.

Oh, be sure you unplug it before you open it up. Also, if you haven't discharged caps before, ask about that in the DIY Forum before you open it.

May 9, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #10 of 24
Sorry to hear!
Like others I suggest you lift off the top, try to locate some burned parts and take/post pictures.

May 9, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #11 of 24
I think you need to contact the importer. They're the ones who repaired a Sugden amp I own. Last I heard it was Stanalog Imports located somewhere in New York State. They should have a website. You'd probably need to send it to them and they would give you an estimate for the repair work.

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 24
I realise that this thread was started quite sometime ago, but i have only just got around (been brave enough to open) to taking pictures of the damage done to my sugden 
frown.gif

(forgive my ignorance) it looks as thought the glue holding the piece of metal round the brown "thingy" has come unstuck and the metal casing then touched the pin causing the short-out/blown fuse... as you can see from the images above, 

Any ideas as to how to fix or if indeed it can be fixed... If other images are needed i can facilitate.

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 24
The SAME exact thing happened to the Headmaster I had, years ago (~2003/2004?). On mine, that metal shield was loosely taped-on (with electrical tape; sloppy), IIRC, and it must have popped out during shipping to me - causing the short. Blew the fuse as soon as it was powered up the first time...then again, etc. Had a friend that opened it, diagnosed the cause, and zip-tied the hell out of that thing till it stayed put for good. All was fine afterwards (sold it a few years back); hopefully that's also the case here.

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 24
This looks just like that, simple fix, just make sure that shield is fixed tight around the transformer. Most likely didn't damage any of the electronics. Sorry it took so long to peak inside, but at least it is a simple repair..dB

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 24
one thing to note is that the switch on the back seems to have gone, that is when switched on it flips straight off again, could this be broken also?? And if so how do i fix this?? Also (lol) what how do i find out what fuses this needs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back