Sugden Headmaster bright? I hope so!
Dec 19, 2001 at 3:42 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Flumpus
I don't want something that's bright and harsh... I just want a good solid state amp that's doesn't have overly smooth highs. The headroom amps are like this, even the new ones. It's unnatural to have to use a switch to get it to sound right, which is why I want to stay away from those. And bright doesn't mean harsh, just like warm doesn't mean dark and muddy.

I have a 2001-model Max. I don't need a switch to make it sound right. The old HeadRoom amps did have some high treble roll-off (I believe designed into them), even with the crossfeed off. The new ones do not. Mine was measured and I have the graph right here, and, crossfeed off, it's ruler flat.

If you listen with crossfeed on, then you get some high treble roll-off, which is where the filter settings come in. I still keep the filter off, even with crossfeed on, as I like my highs tamed with a lot of my CD's (like those pressed in the 80's). However, sans crossfeed, I've compared it to other amps, and there's no sense of treble roll-off at all to my ears in that setting.

Dec 19, 2001 at 5:16 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

What about SACD and vynil? Not 44.1 sources... I do most of my listening, well, maybe not most but at least half, on those two formats. I just can't see how a filter is the best way to go.

I think my best bet is probably a brighter sounding headphone rather than changing amps, especially since the Melos seems to do ok with the higher rez formats anyway. I'm still curious about the Sugden though... Might have to buy it and see
smily_headphones1.gif

No need to filter SACD and vinyl. The filter on a CD player, for sure!

I think I'm gonna buy the Sugden on sheer looks alone. It is by far, the sexiest head amp I've ever seen. Far sexier than even tube amps. And it really pains me to say that.

Dec 19, 2001 at 6:13 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

I'm still curious about the Sugden though... Might have to buy it and see
smily_headphones1.gif

Come, come to the dark side (or is that the bright side?). Join the legion of Headmasters.

Dec 19, 2001 at 9:44 AM Post #19 of 27
Jude, I don't doubt it's flat across the whole range, just sounds dark to me. Anyway, more later, I just saw lord of the rings, it's 3:30am, I'm tired, time for sleep
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2001 at 6:54 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Jude, I don't doubt it's flat across the whole range, just sounds dark to me.

Flumpus, have you heard the 2001 version?

Dec 19, 2001 at 8:43 PM Post #23 of 27
MacDEF, I have heard the 2001 version. Don't get me wrong, it's a great amp, I just find it rather dark... It's VERY smooth, and maybe that's where I get that from, but anyway, don't wanna stir up any trouble
smily_headphones1.gif
I was just curious to see if there was a high quality solid state amp that's brighter than the max.

Dec 20, 2001 at 1:36 AM Post #24 of 27
I wouldn't describe the Max as "dark" but I would say it's a bit "dry" compared to the ZOTL or HeadMaster; the later two have a very "liquid" and open character to the sound. I suppose you could say the Max is very serious and analytical which by some could be considered to be like a darker mood or something.

It's true that many amps that measure totally flat and have generally low distortion and good slew rates (like the Max, Corda, and HeadMaster, just to name three) still sound quite different from each other, so maybe the issue is to find the right terminology to describe the differences.

Generally the diffences in what I consider to be "brightness" in amps is quite small compared to what you'll hear in different headphones.

Feb 15, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #25 of 27
Hello. This is my first post, being a newbie and all.
I' ve been reading about headphone amps on this site for the past week and find all this stuff fascinating. This trove of information will soon lead me to eat a lot of Ramen noodle lunches for the next coupe of weeks!

However, I am not sure of some of the terminology, especially the terms 'dry' used to describe the MAX in this thread, as compared to 'liquid' used to describe the Earmax in other posts. I am asking if someone could explain what those opposing terms mean in more detail. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Feb 15, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

MacDEF, I have heard the 2001 version. Don't get me wrong, it's a great amp, I just find it rather dark... It's VERY smooth, and maybe that's where I get that from, but anyway, don't wanna stir up any trouble
smily_headphones1.gif

Hehe, Flump, you must just have the Vertigo syndrome
very_evil_smiley.gif

(/me hides from Vert)

Feb 15, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #27 of 27
Ok, now that I have a better source I'm going to reevaluate the 2001 Max
smily_headphones1.gif
Got it for the Dallas meeting today and will be listening to it...alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back