Sugden Headmaster bright? I hope so!
Dec 17, 2001 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Flumpus

Needs more Soylent Greento become Omega Man
Ok guys, I only really need comments about the headmaster from people who have heard it (sorry gluegun)... I'm looking for a bright solid state headphone amp, so basically the complete opposite of headroom's stuff. Is the headmaster what I'm looking for? Or is all high quality solid state stuff smooth and almost seem rolled off on the extreme top end? I know that can't be entirely true because I've auditioned Krell poweramps that definitely seemed bright. Thanks guys, your help is much appreciated.

Dec 17, 2001 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 27
The only one I remember was the Corda, that was said to be a little bright compared to the Sugden. Are there any others?
confused.gif
You might have to blaze the trail for the new Rega.

Dec 17, 2001 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 27
How about trying one of the new model Headroom amps? This isn't your father's Headroom amp. They have a 3 position filter switch now -- regular, bright, and brighter. Variable brightness! I've tried Jude's Max in these different positions, and the "brighter" position really does tell the truth.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2001 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 27
The Headmaster is brighter than the OBH11 I had before, but not *bright*. I would rather call it balanced and the Creek a bit on the warm side. May I ask why you need a bright amp? Wouldn't it be better to purchase a balanced one and adjust the other components? 'Cause IMHO it would be silly to not buy a terrific amp such as the Headmaster because it's not bright enough.

Dec 17, 2001 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 27
If you previously use a tube headphone amp, you might consider the Sugden Headmaster bright the first time you hear it. Definitely a different sound. After living with it for some time, I (you) will just call it 'honest'. That may or may not be a good thing in itself.

Dec 17, 2001 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 27
The Sugden HeadMaster is down 3 dB at 270kHz, the Corda is about the same. Neither has any rolloff in the audible range, but the Corda sounds slightly brighter than the HeadMaster which is very neutral. The old HeadRoom amps had a slight rolloff designed in at the very top but the new ones don't. I haven't heard the Rega but someone who has said it's less bright than the Creek, which they thought was a good thing. Moo is right, the brightest amps now are the new HeadRoom amps with the "brightest" switch on. The switch is a good idea for this because I think the brightness will get tiring after a while so you may want to turn it off sometime.

If you want bright there are headphones from Grado, Sony and Beyer that fit that bill quite nicely.

Dec 18, 2001 at 6:43 AM Post #9 of 27
The 'brightest' amp I've seen to date was one of the Zen power amps. It used 4 incandesent light bulbs for resistors.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Why exactly are you looking for a bright headphone amp?

Plus, those higher frequencies are more damaging to your hearing at higher SPLs than lower frequencies.

I would evaluate your source or your ears if you need bright. If you need the brightness to compensate for high-frequency hearing loss consult a professional as what you are seeking to do may actually further damage hearing.

Dec 18, 2001 at 1:05 PM Post #11 of 27
I don't want something that's bright and harsh... I just want a good solid state amp that's doesn't have overly smooth highs. The headroom amps are like this, even the new ones. It's unnatural to have to use a switch to get it to sound right, which is why I want to stay away from those. And bright doesn't mean harsh, just like warm doesn't mean dark and muddy.

Dec 18, 2001 at 1:38 PM Post #12 of 27
Wonder whether the 'bright' and 'brighter' switches go to EQ circuits or just different, less rolled off amplifier circuits?

Can't imagine having 3 amp circuits in one amp though
eek.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 18, 2001 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 27
To confirm whether Headmaster is "bright", I actually conducted some tests.

I played some tracks from Tubular Bells III by Mike Oldfield in both SACD and normal CD playback, and my observations are as follow:

In SACD playback,
I like the highs. It sounded as it should, i.e. precise and "crisp".

For CD playback,
I (personally) find the highs slightly unbearable. At times, it gives me the "scratching" feeling.

Conclusion?

Well, I presonally do not think that Headmaster is bright. It simply amplify the source as it should. To my ears (well, all ears are different), Headmaster is neither too bright or warm. It has the warmth of a tube, and at the same time, tightness of a solid state.

Hmm, best of both world?

The cause for the difference in sound? I think it has something to do with the CDP as well as the source (CD) itself.

My 2 cents opinion.

Dec 19, 2001 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 27
Highs on 44.1k sources sound like crap unless filtering is done.

I *just* got a Meier-Audio Analoguer and, wow!! It really smoothes-out the highs a LOT.

Dec 19, 2001 at 3:25 AM Post #15 of 27
What about SACD and vynil? Not 44.1 sources... I do most of my listening, well, maybe not most but at least half, on those two formats. I just can't see how a filter is the best way to go.

I think my best bet is probably a brighter sounding headphone rather than changing amps, especially since the Melos seems to do ok with the higher rez formats anyway. I'm still curious about the Sugden though... Might have to buy it and see
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back