Suddenly all 'new and better' dynamic headphones cost $1000+
Feb 5, 2010 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

wali

1000+ Head-Fier
What happened?

When I got into this hobby the argument was that headphones were the cheap way of experiencing high quality audio--listening to a very expensive set of speakers for a lot less. And this argument was and still is true but it only applies to older headphones who seem to have been suddenly trounced with all these $1000+ flood of headphones by every manufacturer.

Has the tables turned back in favor of speakers? I say that because for $1000 one could buy an exceptionally good set of monitor speakers.

Its not so much about the money but cost-performance ratio, and some of us are more frugal by principal in our spending (not forget current economic situation). The whole idea of headphone hobby was not to be an audiofool and spend a lot for what could be had for less, but it seems that has changed...

I think the next refuge for price conscious audio enthusiast are monitor speakers.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 103
Not really. The bargains are still there. It's just for us not to be swooned by these very expensive offerings. I was and bit the Ed8. While I do appreciate its engineering and sound quality for form factor accounting for the cost; sonically, similarly enjoyable sound with details etc. can be had for much less.

I still marvel at the quality sound coming from my ALO K702's, and these are well below $1000. I respect and appreciate their sonic footprint as much as I do that of my Ed8's.

I smell a rat as well. However, others will try to convince you that you're deluded.
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 103
They are pricey, but have you heard them? The HD800 and beyer T1 demolish the HD650 and DT880 in every way.

I appreciate that this is expensive, but for $1500 you can get among the very best headphones out there...how much $$$ for the very best speakers? I would say tens of thousands of dollars!

So they are relatively cheaper when compared to full sized loudspeakers (10X cheaper). This hobby ain't cheap
very_evil_smiley.gif
!

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 103
+ inflation of currency
+ supply and demand
+ increase of the market
+ many old flagship phones still damn good enough to not be "replaced"

There are still many choices that are almost as good as those ultra expensive headphones or exceed them (Grados espically PS1000 and Ultrasone just not worth it at all IMO). IMO K701 is like 85% of HD800 with much cheaper price.

And there are plenty of sub 1000$ new headphones released. From demoing I'd say pretty much new HD4x8 headphones replaced old HD5xx line in Sennheiser's case. Not to mention new HD2x8 series are miles better than many old cheap Senn ones such as PX100.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 103
Those "old" headphones are still as good as they have ever been but now are priced better. Not to mention the influx of quality affordable amps and dacs.

I would say today you can get a stellar setup for half the cost as 5 years ago. Or you can spend a whole lot more money and get an unreal setup.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 103
I agree with MacHero and others. Still a great investment, and much cheaper than similar quality in speakers!

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those "old" headphones are still as good as they have ever been but now are priced better. Not to mention the influx of quality affordable amps and dacs.

I would say today you can get a stellar setup for half the cost as 5 years ago. Or you can spend a whole lot more money and get an unreal setup.

Very well stated!

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #9 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioICE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also feel as if part of the reason is that Headphone company's are trying to FURTHER distance themselves from the likes of Monster Beats etc (not that it takes much!)

Actually Monster Beats are decent noise-cancelling headphones you can buy (compared to even offering from better companies such as Sennheiser)

To be honest, some of offerings from so called big general electronic companies are not bad (i.e Kenwood K1000, Monster IEM and beats, Klipsch, etc)

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are pricey, but have you heard them? The HD800 and beyer T1 demolish the HD650 and DT880 in every way.

I appreciate that this is expensive, but for $1500 you can get among the very best headphones out there...how much $$$ for the very best speakers? I would say tens of thousands of dollars!

So they are relatively cheaper when compared to full sized loudspeakers (10X cheaper). This hobby ain't cheap
very_evil_smiley.gif
!

Add a zero or two.

HigherFi-Ultimate - The Worlds Best and Most Expensive Audio Speakers

I'm not saying that you have to spend that much, but the top offerings are more than a house. You can still get top shelf speakers for $20,000 to $30,000, add amps, preamp and a source and you are at about $50,000 to $60,000.

Headphones offer a great amount fo quality for a low price. I have the HD600's and they sound awesome and the detail is unreal, but they tend to get confused when the music gets complex. Quite a bargain, just more really high end offerigns available. Wait 5 years and everyone will be complaining that top shelf headphones used to only be $1500...

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerwoodkhorns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite a bargain, just more really high end offerigns available. Wait 5 years and everyone will be complaining that top shelf headphones used to only be $1500...

IMO, That wouldn't be a quality issue, but a result of the give and take behind well developed consumerism.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 103
I said monitor speakers, because they look ordinary, small and not very expensive, they're made for professional use and not to be used as room ornaments like super-expensive speakers.

A set of krk5, placed properly and fed with a decent source is simply amazing... even the humble M-Audio av40 which is perfect for a small room, can trump most mid range and even higher tier headphone with its sound-stage, imaging and 'pluck'.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #14 of 103
For the sound I get from my STAX'es I sincerely find them to be a BARGAIN
beerchug.gif

Any speaker with such resolution will end up costing a lot more. However, I am convinced you can find superb used monitors for $2000, but, add preamp, amp, cables, sources, energy....

As someone already stated. Headfi is an expensive hobby. OP, you had it all wrong from the beginning

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I said monitor speakers, because they look ordinary, small and not very expensive, they're made for professional use and not to be used as room ornaments like super-expensive speakers.

A set of krk5, placed properly and fed with a decent source is simply amazing... even the humble M-Audio av40 which is perfect for a small room, can trump any headphone with its sound-stage, imaging and 'pluck'.

Well, you are talking about speakers' strength compared to headphones. Of course any semi-decent speakers will give you good soundstage, but headphones excel in accuracy and detail of the sound which speakers in similar price just can't reproduce (no, Audioengine A2 just cannot compete with K701 in terms of detail, for example.)

Now, remember the 'cost' of having speakers is not stricted to speakers/amp/source, you need to consider.....

1.) noise problem.
2.) room acoustic problem.
3.) space problem.

The cost WILL rise if you try to address these problems.

With all these points headphones have little/no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back