Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Mar 23, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #766 of 988
I tried Storm with Max, LP6, P6Pro, WM1Z M2, Cayin N8 and N30.
The Max is still my favorite pairing, distantly followed by N30 and N8
If you have the max already, my suggestion would be adding the PB5 amp for another color/portrayal. Highly recommended!

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #767 of 988
Hello folks! Is the DX320 Max Ti still seen as the best possible DAP for the Storm, or is the community seeing another as better? I know there were rumblings about the Cayin N30LE, but wasn't sure?

I have not tried 320max but I didn’t think N30 LE drove Storm that well, at least for my standards. No DAPs have opened Storm up for me, I always hear it as boxed in and closed off. Pairing it with the iBasso PB5 opened it up nicely and gave the bass more of what I’d consider a natural decay. If I rebuy the Storm I plan to use it from the DX260/PB5 stack and Lotoo Mjolnir.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #768 of 988
Hello folks! Is the DX320 Max Ti still seen as the best possible DAP for the Storm, or is the community seeing another as better? I know there were rumblings about the Cayin N30LE, but wasn't sure?
I have Storm along with 320Max and N30LE. Storm sounds great with both, but my favorite pairing of these two DAPs is N30LE with SS cable. 320Max is good if I swap cables from Sovereign Symphony to Brise Yatano 8W.

My favorite pairing, however, is N8ii > PB5 > SS > Storm. This sound is sublime. Deep sub bass AND highly detailed in the mids and treble. A unicorn sound.

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #769 of 988
i had 320Max and it was a great pairing with STORM. After some battery issues though moved to Hugo2 which Chang suggested as an upgrade for my sound preferences. I find the pairing more revealing and cleaner almost at a good desktop level. The only issue has been finding a good source. I tried 2go but its noisy af (with interference) and has connection issues. I have Hiby R3 ii on order to replace it with hopes that connectivity issues will be solved. Otherwise, can’t think of a “better” reference or analytical sound that is also portable.

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #770 of 988
I got to try @slumberman's Storm with the Sovereign Symphony cable at the recent Amsterdam meet up.
I thought the sound was pretty darn good straight out of my N30LE, even though it is not seen as a source that can drive Storm to its full potential.

I also recall liking it out of my Hugo 2 and, even more so, out of my DAVE+Mscaler stack.

@Chang are there any plans for a follow-up that retains Storm's sound profile but isn't as ridiculously difficult to drive? This seems to be the only IEM out there that seems to require desktop-level amplification to work well, which also means that the use case is rather limited.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #771 of 988
I listened to the storm as well last weekend and agree with the power remarks. My dx260 was definitely not enough. Connecting it to a diablo 2 and it came to life. While its wonderfull when its driven correctly , i think i would want something easier to drive (trifecta, xenon 6).

Mar 26, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #772 of 988
I listened to the storm as well last weekend and agree with the power remarks. My dx260 was definitely not enough. Connecting it to a diablo 2 and it came to life. While its wonderfull when its driven correctly , i think i would want something easier to drive (trifecta, xenon 6).
A Diablo 2 is very likely also not "enough". People seem to be using desktop-grade components to get the most of this IEM.

Mar 26, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #774 of 988
A Diablo 2 is very likely also not "enough". People seem to be using desktop-grade components to get the most of this IEM.
Don't get too caught up on that Nick, it does scale / react to source components but IMO I think it sounds fantastic out of 320MAX with Sov Symph (without EXN mod).

PB5 also another favourite although not heard myself. 300MAX was also good but that was with Mira 4W when I had it and didn't think it was quite there, was going to send it to Steve.

R6ii(?) also a pairing enjoyed by another, as is XD05.

TLDR, lots of options on the table for OTG that work very well with Storm, even N30 by your own admission! :thumbsup:

Mar 26, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #775 of 988
320MAX, PB5, MASS-kobo 475 and Mojo2/Sinfonia are excellent pairings. Diablo 2 it's decent.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #776 of 988
Don't get too caught up on that Nick, it does scale / react to source components but IMO I think it sounds fantastic out of 320MAX with Sov Symph (without EXN mod).

PB5 also another favourite although not heard myself. 300MAX was also good but that was with Mira 4W when I had it and didn't think it was quite there, was going to send it to Steve.

R6ii(?) also a pairing enjoyed by another, as is XD05.

TLDR, lots of options on the table for OTG that work very well with Storm, even N30 by your own admission! :thumbsup:
I have only heard Storm from a select few sources myself but there seems to be a rather widespread belief that you need more capable desktop-level gear or not get the full Storm experience. Some comments were made during and following the Amsterdam meet that the N30 is great (for a standalone) but not ideal- my interpretation.

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #777 of 988
I have only heard Storm from a select few sources myself but there seems to be a rather widespread belief that you need more capable desktop-level gear or not get the full Storm experience. Some comments were made during and following the Amsterdam meet that the N30 is great (for a standalone) but not ideal- my interpretation.

I tried the Storm out of SP3000, Hugo2 +/- C9 and the Naim Unit Headphone Edition. SP3000 and Hugo2 were ôkay.

Storm was also tip dependent and a poor fit readily apparent sonically.

The owner of the Storm uses a 320Maxti which I believe drives it well. Add the MK475 and it is better again. Add the MK475 to SP3000 or H2 and also very accomplished.

We plugged Storm directly into the Naim Uniti Headphone edition and I can confirm that is quite a reasonable pairing. Although the DAC on the Naim may not be quite as accomplished as the best DAPs so falls behind on technicalities. Splitting hairs if you're there just to enjoy what you're hearing. I thought it worked rather well.

Brief impressions only.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #778 of 988
I wouldn't go so far to say you won't get "the full Storm experience" unless using desktop gear but I will say that Storm has bags of potential and does indeed scale very well with source.

Basically the polite way of what you're saying without implying anyone would be missing out using portable gear, it just depends how far you want to chase that cherry on top. It's like Storm with 320MAX / Symph give you the cake and the icing, still a super tasty treat, but swap 320M out for something that's more seat bound and you get the cherry on top. It's already superb with portable gear, just depends on use case, preference, budget etc etc.

One thing I will say though is tubes definitely add some special sauce to the top end, so even though I've not heard it, I can appreciate why DAP+PB5 is getting such a warm welcome with Storm.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #780 of 988

Users who are viewing this thread

Back