Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
Feb 8, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #736 of 988
I use the 2nd gain on 320MAX usually with Storm. Also want to reduce noise as the reason. There's really no reason to higher gain imo, but depends on your listening levels I guess. That said, my 320MAX is dead. Gotta send it back for warranty service. :frowning2:

I've been using Storm with Fiio M15S, on ultra high gain + all to DSD + desktop mode though. So.... I'm a hypocrite. It sounds great lol.
i might be wrong on this one but i think on max the 0db position is gain4 where each lower gain attenuates the signal. so, imo gain4 would be the cleanest.

Feb 8, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #738 of 988
i might be wrong on this one but i think on max the 0db position is gain4 where each lower gain attenuates the signal. so, imo gain4 would be the cleanest.
It’s the opposite actually, from what I understand. Gain stage I and max volume are the ideal scenario, given how the resistor volume knob is built. I might be wrong though! It’s been posted somewhere on the 320max thread.

Feb 8, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #739 of 988
It’s the opposite actually, from what I understand. Gain stage I and max volume are the ideal scenario, given how the resistor volume knob is built. I might be wrong though! It’s been posted somewhere on the 320max thread.
i am quite sure reading about it on one review. spent an hour to find it but i can’t unfortunately.

Feb 8, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #740 of 988
i am quite sure reading about it on one review. spent an hour to find it but i can’t unfortunately.
"Gain control is also now a feature of the analog amplification design with the DX320 MAX Ti receiving a 4-gain stage switch with a range going from stage 4 at 0 dB down to stage 1 at -15.5 dB."

Headphonics.

Feb 8, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #742 of 988
"Gain control is also now a feature of the analog amplification design with the DX320 MAX Ti receiving a 4-gain stage switch with a range going from stage 4 at 0 dB down to stage 1 at -15.5 dB."

Headphonics.
yes !! thank you 🙏🏻
Implication here is that gain is an attenuator for signal then? (read: gain 4 is the best signal)
thats what i understood

ps - i dont want to spam STORM thread.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #743 of 988
All relevant. I used higher gain with Storm than Jewel out of desktop. I know a few owners prefer gain 1 but I've settled on 3 with Storm, I feel like it brings out a fuller bottom end and 4 tips the balance up top for me. Using slow roll off and I've got DAC at 90 or 100 right now, still having a play about with that. Also going against the grain preferring Android / UAPP vs Mango OS.

Think I'm around 130hrs on 320M, really liking what I'm hearing now, looking forward to sov.symph in a coupe of weeks and seeing what all the PB5 hype is about!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #745 of 988
Feb 19, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #747 of 988
April was the last that was mentioned...

Feb 20, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #749 of 988
Is subtonic going to have a presence at canjam nyc?
I would love to see your feedback on that IEM (hello again lol). I think you would enjoy it quite a bit based on your gear impressions over the years.

There will be a few hobbyists at canjam with their personal sets, hopefully you come across one of them.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 20, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #750 of 988
I would love to see your feedback on that IEM (hello again lol). I think you would enjoy it quite a bit based on your gear impressions over the years.

There will be a few hobbyists at canjam with their personal sets, hopefully you come across one of them.
Yes, I have a hunch I would like it a lot, though I am veering towards slightly warmer signatures than reference these days.
No way to tell so far though, since its nigh impossible to get a hold of a second hand set. Actually, it's nigh impossible to get a new one too lol.
As you say, I hope to come across some people who have it ^^
Would even be better if subtonic had a booth at canjam!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back