Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
May 23, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #317 of 1,003
Anyone compare the 2 core Mira to the 4 core Mira? Is the cable really that magical given that it would have considerably contributed to why the Storm is so high priced too...

May 23, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #318 of 1,003
The only cable comparison I've ever done was with Storm, and it was between 2W Mira and the 2W cable that comes with the Truthear Hola. I definitely heard more detail with the Mira. Hola cable made Storm sound more blunted.

May 23, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #319 of 1,003
The only cable comparison I've ever done was with Storm, and it was between 2W Mira and the 2W cable that comes with the Truthear Hola. I definitely heard more detail with the Mira. Hola cable made Storm sound more blunted.
This doesn't seem like the most fair comparison but at least it seems there definitely is a difference between cables then 🤣

May 23, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #320 of 1,003
This doesn't seem like the most fair comparison but at least it seems there definitely is a difference between cables then 🤣
Sorry I meant to put a disclaimer that it wasn't a fair comparison, but the only thing I was testing there was if cables made a difference at all.

Honestly now I realize my contribution to this particular discussion wasn't helpful.

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #321 of 1,003
Sorry I meant to put a disclaimer that it wasn't a fair comparison, but the only thing I was testing there was if cables made a difference at all.
I'd agree cables definitely make a difference (to my experiences at least) but that's also comparing cheaper stock cables to mid-high upgrade ones. I do want to try an ultra high end cable at some point though and see if there's anything even more going beyond.

May 24, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #324 of 1,003
May 25, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #325 of 1,003
After seeing this image on instagram, the 2W Mira cable is so disappointing... How thin is that??? 600USD to upgrade to a 4W as well... The 4W should be stock included for the retail price 😢
Screenshot_2023-05-26-11-10-29-137_com.instagram.android-edit.jpg

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #326 of 1,003
After seeing this image on instagram, the 2W Mira cable is so disappointing... How thin is that??? 600USD to upgrade to a 4W as well... The 4W should be stock included for the retail price 😢 Screenshot_2023-05-26-11-10-29-137_com.instagram.android-edit.jpg
I see your signature says you have a STORM incoming. The photo is misleading you on proportions, the 2W mira isn't thin at all. When do you get your STORM?

May 25, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #327 of 1,003
I see your signature says you have a STORM incoming. The photo is misleading you on proportions, the 2W mira isn't thin at all. When do you get your STORM?
Order only placed yesterday, expected within July! I'm also probably crazy for making a blind purchase on this but after trying enough items with similar tuning and reading through reviews... yolo 🤣

Haven't seen many who prefer big thick cables but I sure am one of them. For reference here's my 300USD pure silver cable that I just love in terms of sizing (20AWG Type 4 Litz 5N, individual thickness is equivalent of 17AWG due to fibre cores) and build quality. Sound was definitely an improvement over the stock Thieaudio too but cable sonic differences are always marginal (though I haven't tried these ultra premium cables that reach into the thousands).

The cable is my biggest concern just from an OCD point of view of not liking cables that seem somewhat thin/smaller, especially considering that the retail price of the product would be so much higher because it includes this cable, though after a bit of digging around it seems all these ultra high end cables might be thinner/smaller than what I would like (not that I would ever pay for them).

In addition, the STORM is one of, if not, the most expensive IEM at its retail cost which is obviously boosted by these accessories, and the Mira is also Nightjar's flagship model. It doesn't sit right with me that the stock included is a 2W instead of 4W... everything should've been maxed out at this point and I find it difficult to believe that they couldn't of done that from a cost perspective. Even though I bought the item, it doesn't mean I am 100% happy with how these things have been carried out and I'm sure others will agree that having 2W stock cable for something of this price/tier is pretty disappointing for the company when they made an emphasis on the cable too.

I know there is a discount on the 4W cable from 2W compared to buying straight from Nightjar regularly, but even then... I do want the 4W Mira to come with but adding 600USD just for the cable is something I cannot justify... The IEM itself is already pretty difficult to accept. I won't be telling anyone else how much these cost that's for sure 🤣

IMG_20230526_105426.jpg

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #328 of 1,003
Order only placed yesterday, expected within July! I'm also probably crazy for making a blind purchase on this but after trying enough items with similar tuning and reading through reviews... yolo 🤣

Haven't seen many who prefer big thick cables but I sure am one of them. For reference here's my 300USD pure silver cable that I just love in terms of sizing (20AWG 5N) and build quality. Sound was definitely an improvement over the stock Thieaudio too but cable sonic differences are always marginal (though I haven't tried these ultra premium cables that reach into the thousands).

The cable is my biggest concern just from an OCD point of view of not liking cables that seem somewhat thin/smaller, especially considering that the retail price of the product would be so much higher because it includes this cable, though after a bit of digging around it seems all these ultra high end cables might be thinner/smaller than what I would like (not that I would ever pay for them).

In addition, the STORM is one of, if not, the most expensive IEM at its retail cost which is obviously boosted by these accessories, and the Mira is also Nightjar's flagship model. It doesn't sit right with me that the stock included is a 2W instead of 4W... everything should've been maxed out at this point and I find it difficult to believe that they couldn't of done that from a cost perspective. Even though I bought the item, it doesn't mean I am 100% happy with how these things have been carried out and I'm sure others will agree that having 2W stock cable for something of this price/tier is pretty disappointing for the company when they made an emphasis on the cable too.

I know there is a discount on the 4W cable from 2W compared to buying straight from Nightjar regularly, but even then... I do want the 4W Mira to come with but adding 600USD just for the cable is something I cannot justify... The IEM itself is already pretty difficult to accept. I won't be telling anyone else how much these cost that's for sure 🤣
Congratulations on your decision; I really hope you'll be delighted with Storm.

Although I had three demos of Storm before ordering, they were all of the pre-production engineering sample so it was still a leap of faith to order, imho. There's always a risk in a purchase such as this, but everyone I know who's tried Storm has been blown away by it. It does take some time to get to know what it can really deliver. Source, amp, tip (and cable) rolling will all help reveal different characteristics and capabilities.

I compared the Mira 2 and 4 wire cables after placing my initial order, and switched from the x2 to x4. I'm not a mad cable person so normally struggle to justify spending more than an absolute max of $500 on a cable. There were a few reasons I upgraded:

1) I felt there was sufficient improvement in overall sound quality to justify the upgrade on this one occasion (for me). I noted a wider and deeper stage, and an improvement in overall resolution and detail. The x2 is still a fantastic cable and significantly more comfortable / flexible. It still delivers a wonderful experience with Storm so I don't think you'd be missing out at all by sticking with the x2.

2) Personally, I prefer the hardware on the x4 - it looks more consistent and "finished" than the (to my eyes) slightly mismatched hardware on the x2.

3) The x4 is heavier but perhaps more significantly, less flexible than the x2. I really only use Storm at home so don't have any issues with a less flexible cable. If I were using it on the go regularly, I would most likely consider the x2. I figured as I was going for my endgame transducer, I may as well add the endgame cable.

A lot of people wouldn't want the x4 as standard because of the compromises in terms of use, so I think Subtonic is right to offer the x2 as standard. The fact you can upgrade to x4 at a discount is a "bonus", imho.

May 26, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #329 of 1,003
Congratulations on your decision; I really hope you'll be delighted with Storm.

Although I had three demos of Storm before ordering, they were all of the pre-production engineering sample so it was still a leap of faith to order, imho. There's always a risk in a purchase such as this, but everyone I know who's tried Storm has been blown away by it. It does take some time to get to know what it can really deliver. Source, amp, tip (and cable) rolling will all help reveal different characteristics and capabilities.

I compared the Mira 2 and 4 wire cables after placing my initial order, and switched from the x2 to x4. I'm not a mad cable person so normally struggle to justify spending more than an absolute max of $500 on a cable. There were a few reasons I upgraded:

1) I felt there was sufficient improvement in overall sound quality to justify the upgrade on this one occasion (for me). I noted a wider and deeper stage, and an improvement in overall resolution and detail. The x2 is still a fantastic cable and significantly more comfortable / flexible. It still delivers a wonderful experience with Storm so I don't think you'd be missing out at all by sticking with the x2.

2) Personally, I prefer the hardware on the x4 - it looks more consistent and "finished" than the (to my eyes) slightly mismatched hardware on the x2.

3) The x4 is heavier but perhaps more significantly, less flexible than the x2. I really only use Storm at home so don't have any issues with a less flexible cable. If I were using it on the go regularly, I would most likely consider the x2. I figured as I was going for my endgame transducer, I may as well add the endgame cable.

A lot of people wouldn't want the x4 as standard because of the compromises in terms of use, so I think Subtonic is right to offer the x2 as standard. The fact you can upgrade to x4 at a discount is a "bonus", imho.
Interesting you see it that way and I genuinely prefer the 4W for the same reasons. Whether that be from an aesthetic POV or a durability/feel, it doesn't matter how good the wires on the 2W are but I just can't see that as the way it should be. Obviously sonic differences are to be expected too but it's really hard to gauge as it is, but I personally also value the hardware aspect far more in this case.

Despite probably taking this around and on the go, I personally am not bothered by stiff or thick cables. An example is the Tripowin Nucool (very cheap) that I previously had and that was one thick n stiff cable :wink:. Obviously not sure how the Mira matches up but I still doubt it will be too much of a bother. That being said, I can definitely see situations where one would prefer the 2W, but I still think 4W should be the standard.

To be honest having both options is good, and I guess I'm just being a bit salty about pricing in general. Would be nicer if the 4W came with the normal retail price while 2W would be cheaper than currently but I guess we'd all wish for that right? Otherwise, even set them at the same price point and just let customers choose without the cost difference. Obviously 4W will cost them more, but an example I can think of is Meze when they offered free upgrade cables with their purchases and it didn't matter if one chose the pure copper or SPC despite there being a price difference between the two, albeit not by as much of a margin as this. Perhaps set the price at a midway point between the 2W and 4W options and give the free choice? Once again, a very difficult thing to determine and obviously they would've made much more educated decisions than what I can think of here.

May 27, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #330 of 1,003
@toranku any info on the Tempest Release and MSRP?
Tempest has been pretty tricky for us. We have a very specific idea of what we want it to sound like but we’re still in the process of finding the optimal configuration to achieve what we’re looking for.

Our tuning process, much like with the STORM, isnt “let’s make an IEM with x amount of drivers and target a sound signature” but rather “what configuration can best achieve this specific sound”

We still have a ways to go! We want to release something really polished and rigorously refined -a sound that stands the test of time.

Haven't seen many who prefer big thick cables but I sure am one of them. For reference here's my 300USD pure silver cable that I just love in terms of sizing (20AWG Type 4 Litz 5N, individual thickness is equivalent of 17AWG due to fibre cores) and build quality. Sound was definitely an improvement over the stock Thieaudio too but cable sonic differences are always marginal (though I haven't tried these ultra premium cables that reach into the thousands).

IMG_20230526_105426.jpg

I hear you! I’m not the cable expert in Subtonic (Chang is), but ergonomics has been an important consideration for us. Personally, I feel that cables have to be ergonomically sound - not too thick and not too heavy. Even for my personal day to day usage, 4W Mira is much too heavy for my pencil neck. 2W Mira is my personal sweet spot for something 2W.

I’d say that the Mira’s wires are thicker than what is often presented in photos. And has a nice amount of pliability and hand feel on the 2W that makes it very much substantial feeling despite the 2W config! Definitely isn’t droopy or limp.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back