Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
May 18, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #286 of 1,003
Cayin C9 costs more than a Mojo 2 and PA10 combined! At most I'd consider adding a PA10 in chain with the Mojo2, don't think I'll be needing a C9 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I get that. If you're going to buy a C9 and PA10, going to a Hugo2 might be a better idea if you like the Chord experience.

One thing to bear in mind with the PA10... whilst it has 3.5 and 4.4 inputs and outputs, you need to use the same in and out. You can't use a 3.5mm SE output from the Mojo2 to PA10, then 4.4mm output from PA10 to your IEM. One option would be to use a dual 3.5 male to single 4.4 male adapter from your Mojo2 to PA10, then use the 4.4 output from the amp. Or stick with a single-ended experience throughout, using adapters if needed.

There seems to be an almost endless stream of new products being launched so I'm sure there will be other options that pair well.

May 18, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #287 of 1,003
I get that. If you're going to buy a C9 and PA10, going to a Hugo2 might be a better idea if you like the Chord experience.

One thing to bear in mind with the PA10... whilst it has 3.5 and 4.4 inputs and outputs, you need to use the same in and out. You can't use a 3.5mm SE output from the Mojo2 to PA10, then 4.4mm output from PA10 to your IEM. One option would be to use a dual 3.5 male to single 4.4 male adapter from your Mojo2 to PA10, then use the 4.4 output from the amp. Or stick with a single-ended experience throughout, using adapters if needed.

There seems to be an almost endless stream of new products being launched so I'm sure there will be other options that pair well.
Just need to wait and see if Mojo2 is enough for me. Thanks for the heads-up though!

May 18, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #288 of 1,003
Just need to wait and see if Mojo2 is enough for me. Thanks for the heads-up though!
Sure thing. Makes perfect sense to see how you get on with Mojo2. You also have a fabulous desktop amp / DAC combo that will work brilliantly with Storm. I might be a bit biased on the amp front though :wink:

May 18, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #289 of 1,003
Sure thing. Makes perfect sense to see how you get on with Mojo2. You also have a fabulous desktop amp / DAC combo that will work brilliantly with Storm. I might be a bit biased on the amp front though :wink:
Nothing wrong with a little bias towards a great amp 😉

May 18, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #290 of 1,003
Today I got in the iBasso DX320 Max Ti, wow it's taking my storm to a height I didn't think it was possible. The source tonality sounds neutral and the technical performance elevates Storm to an insane level. Macrodynamics are elevated, vocals have a sweetness to them that make it very pleasant, and my favorite part: treble doesn't sound glary nor smoothed over, just the right amount. Very happy I landed on this pairing. IMG_4719.jpg
That thing is an absolute beast. I'm jealous. But I'm really enjoying the R6 Pro II so far.

May 20, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #294 of 1,003

I only got to listen to it for maybe 10-20 min but it’s great. I was expecting something special and it was.
What did ya think of it to V16 and Cadenza 12? I love both of these and know you did too (love your reviews). Also Cadenza 12 has almost the exact same in tuning as the Storm so...

May 20, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #295 of 1,003
What did ya think of it to V16 and Cadenza 12? I love both of these and know you did too (love your reviews). Also Cadenza 12 has almost the exact same in tuning as the Storm so...
Hi there, sorry for jumping in. Why do you say the C12 has similar tuning to Storm? If you look at the graphs, they're quite different. I've tried C12 and it sounds nothing like Storm to my ears. Very mid-forward, bass isn't in the same league, technicalities can't compete. Just my views, but I think they're a long way apart.

1684585009115.png

May 20, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #296 of 1,003
Hi there, sorry for jumping in. Why do you say the C12 has similar tuning to Storm? If you look at the graphs, they're quite different. I've tried C12 and it sounds nothing like Storm to my ears. Very mid-forward, bass isn't in the same league, technicalities can't compete. Just my views, but I think they're a long way apart.

1684585009115.png
I would consider the graphs somewhat close to being similar until that upper region, but other than that I have no input on this and am happy to be further educated.

May 20, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #297 of 1,003
Ooops ... V16 / C12... sorry!!

1684585145149.png

May 20, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #298 of 1,003
I would consider the graphs somewhat close to being similar until that upper region, but other than that I have no input on this and am happy to be further educated.
Sorry for my mis-reading of your question. V16 is smoother and feels more balanced. The thing that stood out to me with C12 was the mids / vocals felt very much pushed to the fore. Not necessarily a bad thing, just depends on your preferences. Treble on V16 is smoother, brighter and crisper on C12.

Sorry again for any confusion on my part.

May 21, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #299 of 1,003
Sorry for my mis-reading of your question. V16 is smoother and feels more balanced. The thing that stood out to me with C12 was the mids / vocals felt very much pushed to the fore. Not necessarily a bad thing, just depends on your preferences. Treble on V16 is smoother, brighter and crisper on C12.

Sorry again for any confusion on my part.
Yeah I had the same experience comparing the V16 (my usual) to the C12 (which I also really enjoyed and considered as a potential upgrade until I discovered the Storm). I thought the C12 has similar graph to Storm and was wondering how the Storm would match against the C12.

May 22, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #300 of 1,003
Part2_Thumbnail.png

Click here to view Part 2,
where we write about the revamp from TRKR to STORM after having faced difficult challenges!
We discuss the design's philosophy that matches the sound and challenges, the different shell prototypes, and its equally important Mira cable and leather pouch. You'll be reading our thought process behind every step of the STORM's design. Carefully selecting and designing with intention is a big, big motivator for us to continue doing what we do.

p.s We also uploaded some pictures of the revamped faceplates for your viewing pleasure! The faceplates have a deeper engraving, resulting in a more 3D look :wink:

Part 3, where we write about the sonic rehaul is also in the works! Stay tuned (pun intended).

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back