Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
May 17, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #271 of 1,003
Glad to hear Mojo 2 works well!
Storm works well with all the Chord gear, based on my own experience and comments from others. It sounded epic on a DAVE / MScaler setup when I had the opportunity to try that, which I realise is neither cheap nor portable! I know a few folks use Hugo2 and that's apparently excellent.

I'll do some testing with BTR7 and report back, but I rarely use that with anything now. I tend to use a HiBy RS6 as my on-the-go solution. Awaiting more feedback on the R6 Pro II as that apparently pairs very well with Storm, and is sensibly-priced.

May 17, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #272 of 1,003
Has anyone had the chance to try the Storm with the iBasso DX320 (AMP11 Mk2s or AMP12)? I’ve been heavily considering getting the Storm, but I’m worried that my DAP won’t deliver enough power to fully enjoy them. I listen to music on-the-go 99% of the time, so a dedicated DAC/AMP is out of the question.
I don't have the DX320 but I do have a DAP with basically the same power spec on one of its outputs. The R6 Pro II that I have pushes 383 mW into 32 ohms out of BAL whereas the DX320 pushes 380 mW into 32 ohms out of SE. It's more than enough power to drive Storm to listening level for me which is roughly 75-85 dB even after applying about a -15 dB preamp (replaygain).

Or, to put it another way: Storm's sensitivity is 81 dB/mW. 380 mW is approximately 107 dB SPL. So if you listen at 85 dB, you have 22 dB headroom which should be enough for any EQ you might want to apply, and/or replaygain.

If for some reason you still need more power the BAL output on the DX320 goes all the way up to 1.2 W into 32 ohms. Storm is only rated for 400 mW according to Subtonic, so I would be careful here.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #273 of 1,003
Storm works well with all the Chord gear, based on my own experience and comments from others. It sounded epic on a DAVE / MScaler setup when I had the opportunity to try that, which I realise is neither cheap nor portable! I know a few folks use Hugo2 and that's apparently excellent.

I'll do some testing with BTR7 and report back, but I rarely use that with anything now. I tend to use a HiBy RS6 as my on-the-go solution. Awaiting more feedback on the R6 Pro II as that apparently pairs very well with Storm, and is sensibly-priced.
Looking forward to BTR7 feedback!

May 17, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #274 of 1,003
The
Has anyone had the chance to try the Storm with the iBasso DX320 (AMP11 Mk2s or AMP12)? I’ve been heavily considering getting the Storm, but I’m worried that my DAP won’t deliver enough power to fully enjoy them. I listen to music on-the-go 99% of the time, so a dedicated DAC/AMP is out of the question.

The DX320 has no problems driving the STORM with any of the mentioned AMPs.

May 17, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #275 of 1,003
Looking forward to BTR7 feedback!
Back again, having spent a little bit of time with BTR7 and Storm. This was by no means been a fair comparison as I compared BTR7 to a couple of things I have to hand - xDuoo XD-05 BAL (as a DAC/amp, and just as a DAC into the Cayin C9), and my Sony TA-ZH1ES. I was using Qobuz from my laptop, connected via USB to any of the outputs. I didn't want to use Bluetooth / LDAC although I realise that's a more likely use case when on the go.

BTR7 drives Storm to sufficient volume with plenty to spare, so there's no lack of power. In isolation, it's an acceptable option and perhaps delivers 60-70% of what Storm can do. BTR7 comes across as a relatively neutral to warm DAC/amp, which suits Storm's natural character. The stage feels quite narrow, shallow, and congested. There isn't a great deal of air and space around the notes. Equally, the edges of the soundstage feel hollow and somewhat empty. It's almost like going to see a movie where the screen is too small to give you the full experience as the film was shot.

Sub-bass carries decent weight and bass notes are generally punchy, if a little soft-edged. Vocals are nicely rendered, quite rich and smooth. Treble comes across a little metallic and can be splashy, lacking some control and precision. I think BTR7 suits a less challenging IEM more appropriately - it works better with V16 based on my testing today.

Personally, I don't use Storm on the go so am happy to throw different combinations of portable and desktop gear at it to see how it performs. Although I haven't tried Mojo2, I suspect this will be a better portable option than BTR7. I don't have my HiBy RS6 to hand at present but that would be my default on-the-go option. Hope that helps a bit.

May 17, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #276 of 1,003
Back again, having spent a little bit of time with BTR7 and Storm. This was by no means been a fair comparison as I compared BTR7 to a couple of things I have to hand - xDuoo XD-05 BAL (as a DAC/amp, and just as a DAC into the Cayin C9), and my Sony TA-ZH1ES. I was using Qobuz from my laptop, connected via USB to any of the outputs. I didn't want to use Bluetooth / LDAC although I realise that's a more likely use case when on the go.

BTR7 drives Storm to sufficient volume with plenty to spare, so there's no lack of power. In isolation, it's an acceptable option and perhaps delivers 60-70% of what Storm can do. BTR7 comes across as a relatively neutral to warm DAC/amp, which suits Storm's natural character. The stage feels quite narrow, shallow, and congested. There isn't a great deal of air and space around the notes. Equally, the edges of the soundstage feel hollow and somewhat empty. It's almost like going to see a movie where the screen is too small to give you the full experience as the film was shot.

Sub-bass carries decent weight and bass notes are generally punchy, if a little soft-edged. Vocals are nicely rendered, quite rich and smooth. Treble comes across a little metallic and can be splashy, lacking some control and precision. I think BTR7 suits a less challenging IEM more appropriately - it works better with V16 based on my testing today.

Personally, I don't use Storm on the go so am happy to throw different combinations of portable and desktop gear at it to see how it performs. Although I haven't tried Mojo2, I suspect this will be a better portable option than BTR7. I don't have my HiBy RS6 to hand at present but that would be my default on-the-go option. Hope that helps a bit.
Once again thanks for the write up. It's to be expected that the BTR7 can't unleash the Storm 🤣 but good to know at least that it works and can drive it loud enough. I'm sure even at 60-70% it will still be crazy to listen to. Needless to say Mojo2 will do it more justice, and if I must then Hugo2 it will be later down the road, or add an amp to the Mojo2 chain.

May 17, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #277 of 1,003
Once again thanks for the write up. It's to be expected that the BTR7 can't unleash the Storm 🤣 but good to know at least that it works and can drive it loud enough. I'm sure even at 60-70% it will still be crazy to listen to. Needless to say Mojo2 will do it more justice, and if I must then Hugo2 it will be later down the road, or add an amp to the Mojo2 chain.
STORM sounds fantastic with Mojo2. Very clean but deep bass with crazy dynamics.

May 17, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #278 of 1,003
STORM sounds fantastic with Mojo2. Very clean but deep bass with crazy dynamics.
I guess no need to add another portable amplifier to the chain then!

May 17, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #279 of 1,003
The crossfeed feature also works pretty well with STORM.

May 17, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #280 of 1,003
May 17, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #281 of 1,003
No "need", but if I might offer a not inexpensive, but quite awesome combination. A&K PA10 into a Cayin C9 (operating purely as a power amp [Cayin's "pre-amp" mode]).... drives Storm brilliantly. Rich, full, clean, detailed, a proper hi-res experience.

May 17, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #282 of 1,003
No "need", but if I might offer a not inexpensive, but quite awesome combination. A&K PA10 into a Cayin C9 (operating purely as a power amp [Cayin's "pre-amp" mode]).... drives Storm brilliantly. Rich, full, clean, detailed, a proper hi-res experience.
Cayin C9 costs more than a Mojo 2 and PA10 combined! At most I'd consider adding a PA10 in chain with the Mojo2, don't think I'll be needing a C9 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 17, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #283 of 1,003
Cayin C9 costs more than a Mojo 2 and PA10 combined! At most I'd consider adding a PA10 in chain with the Mojo2, don't think I'll be needing a C9 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Topping NX7/G5 might be a good option too. The extra amp provided clear difference in staging and dynamic with most USB dongle and even DAPs in my collection.

Looking forward for your impressions of PA10 should you decide to get one.

May 17, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #284 of 1,003
Topping NX7/G5 might be a good option too. The extra amp provided clear difference in staging and dynamic with most USB dongle and even DAPs in my collection.

Looking forward for your impressions of PA10 should you decide to get one.
Will keep this in mind.

May 17, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #285 of 1,003
Today I got in the iBasso DX320 Max Ti, wow it's taking my storm to a height I didn't think it was possible. The source tonality sounds neutral and the technical performance elevates Storm to an insane level. Macrodynamics are elevated, vocals have a sweetness to them that make it very pleasant, and my favorite part: treble doesn't sound glary nor smoothed over, just the right amount. Very happy I landed on this pairing.
IMG_4719.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back