Subtonic STORM: Impressions and Discussion
May 27, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #331 of 1,003
Tempest has been pretty tricky for us. We have a very specific idea of what we want it to sound like but we’re still in the process of finding the optimal configuration to achieve what we’re looking for.

Our tuning process, much like with the STORM, isnt “let’s make an IEM with x amount of drivers and target a sound signature” but rather “what configuration can best achieve this specific sound”

We still have a ways to go! We want to release something really polished and rigorously refined -a sound that stands the test of time.

I hear you! I’m not the cable expert in Subtonic (Chang is), but ergonomics has been an important consideration for us. Personally, I feel that cables have to be ergonomically sound - not too thick and not too heavy. Even for my personal day to day usage, 4W Mira is much too heavy for my pencil neck. 2W Mira is my personal sweet spot for something 2W.

I’d say that the Mira’s wires are thicker than what is often presented in photos. And has a nice amount of pliability and hand feel on the 2W that makes it very much substantial feeling despite the 2W config! Definitely isn’t droopy or limp.
Thanks for the reply!

May 27, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #332 of 1,003
Tempest has been pretty tricky for us. We have a very specific idea of what we want it to sound like but we’re still in the process of finding the optimal configuration to achieve what we’re looking for.

Our tuning process, much like with the STORM, isnt “let’s make an IEM with x amount of drivers and target a sound signature” but rather “what configuration can best achieve this specific sound”

We still have a ways to go! We want to release something really polished and rigorously refined -a sound that stands the test of time.
Hopefully you guys would be able to hit the same price as Helios. I just received the Meteor, and now I’m addicted to that treble extension. Hopefully Tempest would be ready in not too far future. Otherwise I’ll go with Helios as the proper introduction to Subtonic-tuned IEM.

May 27, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #333 of 1,003
Part2_Thumbnail.png
Click here to view Part 2,
where we write about the revamp from TRKR to STORM after having faced difficult challenges!
We discuss the design's philosophy that matches the sound and challenges, the different shell prototypes, and its equally important Mira cable and leather pouch. You'll be reading our thought process behind every step of the STORM's design. Carefully selecting and designing with intention is a big, big motivator for us to continue doing what we do.

p.s We also uploaded some pictures of the revamped faceplates for your viewing pleasure! The faceplates have a deeper engraving, resulting in a more 3D look :wink:

Part 3, where we write about the sonic rehaul is also in the works! Stay tuned (pun intended).
Nice write up Tork!

I love the style of the shell design!

May 28, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #334 of 1,003
Hopefully you guys would be able to hit the same price as Helios. I just received the Meteor, and now I’m addicted to that treble extension. Hopefully Tempest would be ready in not too far future. Otherwise I’ll go with Helios as the proper introduction to Subtonic-tuned IEM.
FWIW, Helios is tuned by Symphonium primarily though it has some influence from Subtonic. Symphonium and Subtonic have different philosophies in terms of tuning and markets. That being said, Meteor and Helios is an excellent IEM that punches above their price brackets.

May 29, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #336 of 1,003
Storm arrived. Burning-in in the office!

IMG_9972.jpeg

IMG_9973.jpeg

May 29, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #338 of 1,003
May 29, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #339 of 1,003
Storm arrived. Burning-in in the office!

Tthe "strange looking" headphone that is on the same stand than the STORM, is it a RAAL CA-1a ? Can you describe how it sound ? it needs a special amp for ribon ?

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #341 of 1,003
Putting aside portability, DMP is my all time fav with Storm 🥳

I personally find Storm sounding a tad dry out of the DMP.

I really like it through the SP3K SS and it sounds glorious when driven from my SAEQ amp which I use to drive my RAAL SR-1B at home but is also able to drive all types of headphones

https://saeq-audio.com/amplifier-hsa-1c

May 29, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #342 of 1,003
to understand.....Storm is on the philosophy of Noble Ragnar ?

I auditioned the Ragnar a couple of times and always found it on the bright side of things. Overall signature is pretty lean and bass does not go as deep as I envisioned.

Storm is more balanced and is probably the most accurate sounding IEM I have heard. Timbre & tonality is spot on and hands down the best BA bass I have experienced. I can understand why some may find it boring or unexciting but if accuracy and realism is what you are looking for, Storm gives them to you in spades.

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #344 of 1,003
I personally find Storm sounding a tad dry out of the DMP.

I really like it through the SP3K SS and it sounds glorious when driven from my SAEQ amp which I use to drive my RAAL SR-1B at home but is also able to drive all types of headphones

https://saeq-audio.com/amplifier-hsa-1c
For my understanding, could you please describe what would be deemed by you as dry? I don’t understand music technicalities nor jargon. Thanks!
P.S. I do not fancy the pairing of stock cable and Storm, and am waiting for Chang to announce the upcoming cable release(s), one of which I auditioned and very much excited about :)

May 30, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #345 of 1,003
For my understanding, could you please describe what would be deemed by you as dry? I don’t understand music technicalities nor jargon. Thanks!
P.S. I do not fancy the pairing of stock cable and Storm, and am waiting for Chang to announce the upcoming cable release(s), one of which I auditioned and very much excited about :)

Hmm to put it in simple terms, Storm sounds leaner, less musical & smooth and flatter; not as dynamic vs my other sources; LP6 Ti AE, 1Z M2 & SP3K SS. Would like to highlight that this is strictly vs the other sources and not in absolute terms. Storm still sounds mighty good from the DMP with it's huge sound field and incredible technicalities.

Yes, I was told of the new cable which I had highlighted to @Chang that I will be interested if only Subtonic color matched the hardware with Storm's faceplate :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back