Sub bass king (60hz and below)
Dec 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #16 of 44
Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm I've heard the d2000 next to my 770s. The 2000s are a better sounding can but the 770s have more sub bass than the d2000s.

Heya,

D2000
D5000
Mad Dogs with Stax Pads

You're really not going to get more sub-bass with authority without just going to IEM's.

Very best,

With the D5000, it seems like you're getting into the price of planar magnetics or does the D5000 have more sub-bass than say the HE-400?

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:
The D2000's have more subbass than the DT770's, were the Denons properly amped? I know people say they're easy to drive, but an amp makes a world of a difference in my case.

I've found my 770/80s have more sub bass than the D2000s (both with and without an amp). The D2000s however did bring the overall clarity up a notch.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:
With the D5000, it seems like you're getting into the price of planar magnetics or does the D5000 have more sub-bass than say the HE-400?

I've understood these planar magnetics have a linear response (even down to 20hz) which made the LCD2's tempting. But the 770/80s still appear to have more sub bass vs the planars (at least on the freq response charts). I've also been looking into this further with regards to freq response, based on charts ive seen the 770/80s should have more Sub bass than the 700mkii and the M50. However the 700mkii may contain more upper bass than the 770s.
From the denon charts i've seen (and d2000s i've heard) the bass has a slight upwards trend to 30-40hz upon it rolls off pretty quickly, leaving the 770's with a a boost in its sub bass compared to the denons.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #19 of 44
SHE-3590(same as 3580) with good fit have very powerful deep subbass with 8db in 32hz and 62hz bands on a ten band eq they have explosive bass with very nice rumble there iem though but very cheap and offer very good sound.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:
Quote:

I've understood these planar magnetics have a linear response (even down to 20hz) which made the LCD2's tempting. But the 770/80s still appear to have more sub bass vs the planars (at least on the freq response charts). I've also been looking into this further with regards to freq response, based on charts ive seen the 770/80s should have more Sub bass than the 700mkii and the M50. However the 700mkii may contain more upper bass than the 770s.
From the denon charts i've seen (and d2000s i've heard) the bass has a slight upwards trend to 30-40hz upon it rolls off pretty quickly, leaving the 770's with a a boost in its sub bass compared to the denons.

I've owned the 990 600 ohm.  It had some sub-bass, which I was after, but the mid-bass got in the way and generally made the phones too bass heavy.  Actually, my DT660 has cleaner bass in addition to some sub-bass.  However, it's closed (why I bought it) and it's soundstage is pretty narrow.  Of course.

I own the 880 600 ohm.  It has a little bit of sub-bass but not nearly enough.  At least it doesn't have too much mid and sub-bass combined like the 990 600 ohm has.

I've owned the D7000.  It had a lot more sub-bass than those two Beyers.

I've owned the LCD-2, rev 1.  It had really fine, deep bass, much more than the Beyers and even the Denon.  But, I had treble issues with the Audez'e.

I've listened extensively to the HE-5LE, a friend's unit.  It has nice sub-bass, more than the Beyers.

BTW, I consider sub-bass as 40Hz and below.

Spoiler Alert:  I've never heard any of the 770's.  Would they really have more sub-bass without the mid-bass bump than the 80/90's?  If I thought they did, I'd buy one, but which one?

Charts can be the devil's playground especially in this case.  Hearing is believing.

That's what heard.  
normal_smile .gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #21 of 44
Take a planar design and pump up the nether bass through and through via EQ. The distortion on the common dynamic driver in the bass region is such that any full sized headphone will sound awful muddy. Dynamics will always have that sort of hump going on for them.

On the topic, the d1100 I don't recall being that able with the subbass. Plenty of distortion, though at least it reached down low. The k550 had a murderous spike around 6khz.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #22 of 44
Quote:
I've owned the 990 600 ohm.  It had some sub-bass, which I was after, but the mid-bass got in the way and generally made the phones too bass heavy.  Actually, my DT660 has cleaner bass in addition to some sub-bass.  However, it's closed (why I bought it) and it's soundstage is pretty narrow.  Of course.

I own the 880 600 ohm.  It has a little bit of sub-bass but not nearly enough.  At least it doesn't have too much mid and sub-bass combined like the 990 600 ohm has.

I've owned the LCD-2, rev 1.  It had really fine, deep bass, much more than the Beyers and even the Denon.  But, I had treble issues with the Audez'e.

I've listened extensively to the HE-5LE, a friend's unit.  It has nice sub-bass, more than the Beyers.

Spoiler Alert:  I've never heard any of the 770's.  Would they really have more sub-bass without the mid-bass bump than the 80/90's?  If I thought they did, I'd buy one, but which one?

Charts can be the devil's playground especially in this case.  Hearing is believing.

That's what heard.  
normal_smile%20.gif

Guarntee the 770/80ohm will have more the most sub bass from the entire Beyer line and is likely the one you may like as a fun sub bass can. As a warning it can sound dark, however it soundstages pretty darn good for a closed can (not as well as the open cans). The 770/80s have boost to 20hz and below without mudding up the mids like the sony XB series. I want another deep sub bass can just to mix things up and have options however I worry that i may only get muddy mid bass and a smaller soundstage by going to a different set of bass heavy cans.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #23 of 44
Quote:
Take a planar design and pump up the nether bass through and through via EQ. The distortion on the common dynamic driver in the bass region is such that any full sized headphone will sound awful muddy. Dynamics will always have that sort of hump going on for them.

On the topic, the d1100 I don't recall being that able with the subbass. Plenty of distortion, though at least it reached down low. The k550 had a murderous spike around 6khz.

I was really interested in the k550 until I saw how many unhappy people there were!

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #24 of 44
Quote:
Quote:

That's what heard.  
normal_smile%20.gif

Guarntee the 770/80ohm will have more the most sub bass from the entire Beyer line and is likely the one you may like as a fun sub bass can. As a warning it can sound dark, however it soundstages pretty darn good for a closed can (not as well as the open cans). The 770/80s have boost to 20hz and below without mudding up the mids like the sony XB series. I want another deep sub bass can just to mix things up and have options however I worry that i may only get muddy mid bass and a smaller soundstage by going to a different set of bass heavy cans.

I have to ask you, have you actually heard any of these headphones?

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Heya,

I and many others will disagree with a lot of this.

1) The DT770 has great sub-bass, but "most" from entire Beyer line? No.
2) Sounds dark? No. Opposite. It's bright. Like all Beyers.
3) Boost to 20hz? What? My DT770's can play 20hz, but it's obviously struggling, it's like wubble-wubble-wubble. Hardly "boosted." It can play 25hz and 30hz with pretty good authority. But not 20hz. It's got a stark drop at that point. Download Audacity and test it yourself.

Very best,

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Heya,

The D5000 used to be $300~400. Only two solid planar magnetics are in that range and only recently. Now the D5000 is discontinued. And the planar magnetics are on the rise.

The D5000 sounds bassier in general than the HE-400. The HE-400 is not a "bassy" headphone necessarily, it just has really good linear bass down into sub-bass, so it has a very high quality bass. Most headphones start to roll off as it trends down, but the HE-400 can drop all the way down into the 25hz region without losing serious volume the way other headphones do, so it seems "bassy" in that sense, but again, it's more of a really good quality bass that is balanced, and not an obviously enhanced or boosted bass frequency response. It's actually flat bass. The D5000 on the other hand has tuned up bass, it's got more volume in the bass than other areas, it's not as flat, it's bassy, a gentle "V" frequency response. But for a dynamic with a semi-open design and it's comfort level and the quality of it's mids & treble and the sound stage, it's an amazing dynamic transducer. I use my D5000 for my bassy music over my planar magnetics at home usually. The Mad Dogs are the ones that can be made to take over the Denons though. I played with some Mad Dogs with Stax Pads that were dampened and tuned to be darker and bassier, and the sub-bass was out of control good. It was like a Denon with better control, more isolation, and darker, but very clear.

Very best,

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #27 of 44
Heya,

I and many others will disagree with a lot of this.

1) The DT770 has great sub-bass, but "most" from entire Beyer line? No.
2) Sounds dark? No. Opposite. It's bright. Like all Beyers.
3) Boost to 20hz? What? My DT770's can play 20hz, but it's obviously struggling, it's like wubble-wubble-wubble. Hardly "boosted." It can play 25hz and 30hz with pretty good authority. But not 20hz. It's got a stark drop at that point. Download Audacity and test it yourself.

Very best,

I've heard the DT990/250 a few years back amp'd and while a very nice can didn't have nearly as much sub bass as my 770/80s.

MalVeauX thanks for the input, Which beyer headset has more sub bass than the 770/80s? I would really like to try these out :D (This is also considering that the 32/250 and 600 ohm versions dont have the same bass as the 80 ohms - different driver).

Regarding the dark comment, I know where you are coming from regarding the 10khz spike common to beyers, however before that is a downwards one which makes it feel dark to me. I guess that's the problem with subjective terms we are referring to different frequency ranges.

Which version of the 770s did you try? I will check Audacity on mine sometime.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:
(This is also considering that the 32/250 and 600 ohm versions dont have the same bass as the 80 ohms - different driver).

Which version of the 770s did you try? I will check Audacity on mine sometime.

Heya,

And where are you getting this information that they have different drivers? That's simply not true.

I have three DT770's, both PRO's and Premiums, from 80ohm to the 600ohms. Had mine (the premiums, cause they look better) custom re-cabled to detachable and sheathed short midnight cable and both silver & black velour pads and the T70 pads as well.

Very best,

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #29 of 44
Heya,

And where are you getting this information that they have different drivers? That's simply not true.

I have three DT770's, both PRO's and Premiums, from 80ohm to the 600ohms. Had mine (the premiums, cause they look better) custom re-cabled to detachable and sheathed short midnight cable and both silver & black velour pads and the T70 pads as well.

Very best,

Nice collection,

Here is a quote from the beyer site:

The higher the impedance, the more power is needed to get a proper output volume from the headphone:
32 or 80 ohms = mobile use with laptop, MP3 Player, portable recorder etc..
250 ohms and higher = for permanent installations, headphone amplifiers etc.

Background:
Impedance ist the AC resistance of the headphones' voice coil, which is connected to the headphone amplifier. A impedance of 0 ohms would be a short-circuit of the headphone amplifier output; the headphone amplifier supplies an extreme current and after getting very hot, it either turns off automatically - or dies. The other side of the story is infinite resistance (broken cable); no current flows, but also no audio signals arrives - so, we have to be in between these two: 0 and infinite.

In general, headphones with low impedance are designed for use with mobile devices; mobile devices use low power from batteries and therefore also the output power is limited. A low impedance headphone can play (slightly) louder at a low power output. But why high impedance headphones?

The impedance is determined by the voice coil (dynamic headphones), which is a winded copper wire (coated to avoid a short-circuit). This copper wire is available in nearly every length, but not in every gauge (thickness) and a thicker wire has less resistance than a thin wire ("less fits through"). The magnetic field of the voice coil depends on the number of windings of the coil, causing a low impedance system to use a thicker (also heavier) wire and since the membrane foil can't be infinitely light-weight, the moving mass (voice coil and diaphragm) is relatively high. It's pretty clear that a higher mass can't move as easily (following an audio signal) as a lower mass. This low mass can easily be accomplished with thinner (lower weight) wire, but the thinner wire has a higher impedance. This means that the DT 770 PRO with 250 ohms sound more natural, but plays (depending on the used headphone amplifier) not as loud as the 80 ohms version.

The transducers of the 80 ohms versions are stronger and more powerful, a bit more low-mid accentuated and therefore this version is ideal for powerful reproducing of low-frequency material f.e. coming from a bass guitar. The 250 ohms version sounds more smooth and voluminous and can be used for mixing situations within the studio to analyse the whole mix.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #30 of 44
Quote:
Nice collection,
Here is a quote from the beyer site:
The higher the impedance, the more power is needed to get a proper output volume from the headphone:
32 or 80 ohms = mobile use with laptop, MP3 Player, portable recorder etc..
250 ohms and higher = for permanent installations, headphone amplifiers etc.
Background:
Impedance ist the AC resistance of the headphones' voice coil, which is connected to the headphone amplifier. A impedance of 0 ohms would be a short-circuit of the headphone amplifier output; the headphone amplifier supplies an extreme current and after getting very hot, it either turns off automatically - or dies. The other side of the story is infinite resistance (broken cable); no current flows, but also no audio signals arrives - so, we have to be in between these two: 0 and infinite.
In general, headphones with low impedance are designed for use with mobile devices; mobile devices use low power from batteries and therefore also the output power is limited. A low impedance headphone can play (slightly) louder at a low power output. But why high impedance headphones?
The impedance is determined by the voice coil (dynamic headphones), which is a winded copper wire (coated to avoid a short-circuit). This copper wire is available in nearly every length, but not in every gauge (thickness) and a thicker wire has less resistance than a thin wire ("less fits through"). The magnetic field of the voice coil depends on the number of windings of the coil, causing a low impedance system to use a thicker (also heavier) wire and since the membrane foil can't be infinitely light-weight, the moving mass (voice coil and diaphragm) is relatively high. It's pretty clear that a higher mass can't move as easily (following an audio signal) as a lower mass. This low mass can easily be accomplished with thinner (lower weight) wire, but the thinner wire has a higher impedance. This means that the DT 770 PRO with 250 ohms sound more natural, but plays (depending on the used headphone amplifier) not as loud as the 80 ohms version.
The transducers of the 80 ohms versions are stronger and more powerful, a bit more low-mid accentuated and therefore this version is ideal for powerful reproducing of low-frequency material f.e. coming from a bass guitar. The 250 ohms version sounds more smooth and voluminous and can be used for mixing situations within the studio to analyse the whole mix.

I suggest you read this yourself, and what voice coils are, diaphgrams are, and your statement about "different drivers."

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back