Sub $300 IEM for Galaxy S3
Aug 8, 2013 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

glory102

New Head-Fier
Looking for a set of IEM's to replace the stock Samsung Galaxy S3 (GS3) headphones.  These are primarily used at work so isolation and comfort are high on the list, do not want to use an amplifier with them and audio control on the headphones are not necessary. Budgeting for under $300.  I have been reading the large IEM review by joker (very indepth and useful), but it has gotten me a bit overwhelmed with the choices. I have taken a look at Vsonic GR07 (& BE), Shure 425, Westone 2 or 3 (yes 3 is a bit out of price range).  I am unsure if the GS3 will be able to drive them properly. 

I listen to mostly Rock/Hard Rock, Metal, Hip Hop, Rap, Dance, Techno, and Alternative. 

Can you help me in choosing?

Thank you.

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 13
Well haven't heard anything back from the Westone 4R guy yet. If those don't come through I may go with the Westone 3's.  Anyone know where to get them from within Canada? I found AVshop.ca but don't know if an authorized dealer or not.  Found as well soundgoods.ca, but again not sure if authorized dealer or not.  Suggestions?

Thank you.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 13
Well got the Wesonte 4Rs for <$300.  They seem to have been worn maybe 2 or 3 times at max.  The foam ear inserts seem to be stuck...are they supposed to be hard to get off?  Tried them on a couple songs for a few minutes and already found out new parts of songs; can't wait until I listen to the more!

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 13
Well got the Wesonte 4Rs for <$300.  They seem to have been worn maybe 2 or 3 times at max.  The foam ear inserts seem to be stuck...are they supposed to be hard to get off?  Tried them on a couple songs for a few minutes and already found out new parts of songs; can't wait until I listen to the more!

Enjoy your night and be sure to grab lots of coffee on the way out tomorrow!

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 13
Well using the 4Rs atm through my computer (Computer -> cakewalk UA-25 EX -> 4Rs) as my speakers are down for fixing.  Anyways, loving them once I moved to the right tips, more comfortable.   Do different tips sound all that different? Or should I be more concerned with comfort? 

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 13
Well using the 4Rs atm through my computer (Computer -> cakewalk UA-25 EX -> 4Rs) as my speakers are down for fixing.  Anyways, loving them once I moved to the right tips, more comfortable.   Do different tips sound all that different? Or should I be more concerned with comfort? 

Getting a good seal and making sure the fit is comfortable with the tips of your choosing is most important. Depending on the physical tip size and the size of the bore/opening of the tip, certain aspects of the sound can be enhanced or attenuated. For example long comply tips can serve to attenuate the treble, and this is advantageous if you find the treble to be sibilant or too harsh for one's liking. The opening/bore of the tips are also important, as a small opening can often yield a more "veiled" sound characteristic, as opposed to tips with a larger opening/bore which may increase clarity. These aspects are again dependent on the insertion depth of the housing into the ear canal.

So, yes the tips do make a little bit of difference but your comfort and getting a good seal are paramount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back