Sub-$300 DAC recommendations
Apr 19, 2010 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good USB DAC, as the title says. I own a NuForce Icon Mobile, which works fine, but it's not exactly outstanding. I was set on the Zero (Tianyun) DAC, but reports of reliability inconsistencies have dissuaded me from it.

That aside, my requirements aren't much; I need USB input, and RCA out as I will be connecting it to a Purity Audio Caliente. I'm also looking for good build quality with high-quality parts - Alps, Neutrik and the like. A headphone output on the DAC itself would be nice, or even a sufficiently powerful built-in amp, but these features are not totally necessary. Currently, I'm leaning towards the Musical Fidelity V-DAC, but $300 is a bit steep.

Are there other options that offer similar performance at a lower price, or is the V-DAC good enough to justify the price difference over any cheaper competitors? Thanks in advance.

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 13
I'm looking for recommendations too. The icon uDac seems to be getting good reviews, but I just don't know. Help please anybody?

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 13
Behringer src2496. If you don't have a balanced setup you'll need some xlr to RCA cables, but it sounds way better than it has any right to for $150.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 13
I picked up a Pico DAC for $250 second-hand on the forums, which is a good bargain at that price. Another option, if you only need the DAC, is the Audio-gd Fun B-version + USB module (which you'd have to buy separately). You can upgrade the DAC OPAMPs for free or very little to make for a huge improvement. That would squeeze into your budget I think.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by welchie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for recommendations too. The icon uDac seems to be getting good reviews, but I just don't know. Help please anybody?

I highly recommend you get a udac, if it is your first DAC. I had no idea how great this DAC was until I compared it with ibasso D10, there is no comparison.

Apr 20, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks everyone for your input. The icon uDac seems to be continuously bubbling up to the surface so that's propably the direction I'll go in. I've got to get the $99.00 into the budget. I'll post a review when I have everything. Thanks again, Chris.

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by graben /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Little Dot Dac sounds great at about $260. It has balanced out, usb, coax, optical, and bnc in. It sounds very detailed into my Stax. It doesn't seem to be holding them back at all.

+1 for the Little Dot DAC-I

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 13
KECES DA-151 is great if you only need a USB input; good reviews here and sounds great IMO. I got one used in great condition for $150, so look for one around that price

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #12 of 13
Thanks for the great suggestions. The KECES and Little Dot DACs seem like superb choices, but I'm tempted to try the new HUD-MX1 from Audinst, as it has a powerful built-in amp that would allow me to keep a big amp at home, but still have a semi-transportable solution. And it's cheap, of course. Audinst is a totally new company, but they do have a webpage and product page for the MX1 that look quite official.

Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back