Sub $100 IEM Help
Dec 6, 2010 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Musicman227

New Head-Fier
Hello All!

First time user here looking for a little help for some new IEM's.  Not looking to spend over $100 (unless necessary).  In the past I've owned the Sennheiser CX 300 and I like those until they broke (cable started coming apart) and then I wanted something new, so I bought the Head Direct RE2 and I like those outside of the fact they don't have enough bass or enough fullness in the sound.  Decided to try the Nu-Force NE6 (Almost too much bass, Even after burn-in) and liked those when I changed the equalizer on my original 160GB Ipod, and added some treble, which sometimes distorts the sound, until the cable started separating from the splitter junction (?) to the speakers themselves.  Then I tried the Monster Turbines High performance in-ear speakers, and those sounded great!  Until the speakers themselves started to lose their volume and I'm returning them due to the durability thinking that this will happen again.  So here I'm trying to find an IEM with good durability and good sound for a good price.  I'm hoping someone can help me out.  If it makes any difference with the music I listen to, I listen to pretty anything (Jazz, Classical, Some country and hip/hop) leaning towards more rock/hard rock/Black and Death Metal.  If anyone needs anymore information, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for all your help!!

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 12
For under 100$, Head Direct RE0s are unbeatable. Not sure about build quality because I have never owned them but they have a great sound, sound good with rock, are a little lacking in bass(the tips make a big difference) and improve sound quality when amplified.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 12
I heard RE0s also have a bit of a durability problem unfortunately though. I am guessing the MC5s would be the most durable earphones under $100... however, those could sound anemic if you don't prefer the clarity and highs that the MC5 offers. Their bass is also unfortunately extremely lacking, if you want something with a nice thump.

Maybe the Brainwavz M2?

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 12
Well, I appreciate all your responses, but I compulsively went out and bought the Klipsch S4 at BB.  And upon first listen they seem to be just what I was looking for.  I know that they may require some burn-in time, and I hope the highs and mids become a little sharper, but these are kinda what I wanted In terms of sound.  It's as close as I am going to come to what I wanted and I'll cross my fingers that they will end up lasting a little longer than the others that I tried out.  Again, I appreciate anyone who responded in this thread and gave their 2 cents to my questions.  But if anyone has any other opinions, feel free to add.

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 12
Why do you say flee?  I've already got the bug for buying new headphones, I hope that I'll be able to slow up now that I've bought a pair I like.  I've been checking out these boards for the last year or so as I've made other headphone and IEM purchases.  A lot of good information on this board. 

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 12
Why do you say flee?  I've already got the bug for buying new headphones, I hope that I'll be able to slow up now that I've bought a pair I like.  I've been checking out these boards for the last year or so as I've made other headphone and IEM purchases.  A lot of good information on this board. 

Welcome to Head-Fi then! And I hope your wallet won't cry itself to death while you are enjoying the info this board provides you. :p

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 12
Oh I see, nobody's given you the formal welcome to Head-Fi:
Sorry about your wallet.

You might want to start keeping track of your total expenditure on audio gear. Stay here for a year and you'll just how big that sum can grow to.

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 12
Oh I see, nobody's given you the formal welcome to Head-Fi:
Sorry about your wallet.

You might want to start keeping track of your total expenditure on audio gear. Stay here for a year and you'll just how big that sum can grow to.

It has already grown MARGINALLY for me. And I only found this site last month. I swear no other audio website is as destructive as Head-Fi is.

But oh what wonderful bliss.

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 12
Welcome to Head-Fi!
Based on my experience the Kilpsch Image S4 are one of the best IEM's in the sub $100 category. Though, if you want ALOT of bass , I can recommend you the monster turbines (you can buy them at , at least $70 at amazon new,  just go to the used category and find the ones that were bought from the amazon goldenbox deal a few weeks ago.Note that they can't list it as "new" that's why they can't put it in the new category)

LOL you already chose an IEM my bad i wasn't reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back