Stupid Verbage
Sep 10, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quality IS subjective, and if you don't realize that, you have real problems; read zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance; i guess another way would be just to call it "sound"...........like this "sounds good"......or this has good sound..........but that "sounds" a bit weird
wink.gif

"Quality" is that which is closest to source. < In fact, this almost sounds Buddhist to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations. This ranks in my top 10 most useless threads of the week. English is a limited means of expressing what we're comparing internally, thus constantly yielding foggy terms like "sound quality".

It is ultimately impossible to fully translate our internal experiences into language. In spite of this, or perhaps because of it, we should always attempt to speak as concisely and directly as possible.

My biggest beef is with "musicality." I mean, shouldn't whatever reproduces sound the most most accurately be the most "musical." Assuming your listening to music, hehe.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

QFT

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #35 of 46
I think reading this thread killed more of my brain cells than the six beers I'm going to go drink to forget it.
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess this thread has some real brain-cell killing oomph to it.

Cheers all,
Zach

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My biggest beef is with "musicality." I mean, shouldn't whatever reproduces sound the most most accurately be the most "musical." Assuming your listening to music, hehe.

Hmmm, well, I'm starting to see your point. I, too, hate it when people refer to a headphone's "musicality" because that's a term that's usually applied to actual music, not sound reproduction.

While I agree that these terms are extremely general and certainly not worthy of using in a post online here, I don't think it's possible to eliminate them because some people just don't know what else to say. I'd rather have a relevant post with frustrated English (and poor communication) than some of the other ones we see around here nowadays...

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #37 of 46
I stopped listening to the music a long time ago. I use white noise so I am absolutely certain I can listen solely to my equipment. Also, it's easier to sleep with than music.

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #38 of 46
My favorite part of this thread is that it seems no one knows how to spell VERBIAGE. If you can't spell the word correctly, then you almost certainly can't pronounce it correctly, since there would be a syllable missing. In spoken conversation, this would not make one look too smart.

NOTE: Yes, I know that some dictionaries accept the "dumbed-down" two-syllable pronunciation, but the spelling of the word doesn't change.

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite part of this thread is that it seems no one knows how to spell VERBIAGE. If you can't spell the word correctly, then you almost certainly can't pronounce it correctly, since there would be a syllable missing. In spoken conversation, this would not make one look too smart.

NOTE: Yes, I know that some dictionaries accept the "dumbed-down" two-syllable pronunciation, but the spelling of the word doesn't change.

I had a feeling about that, but I did not look closely enough to the firefox spell check (red underlines) to make sure. Oh well, live and learn
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones that have "musicality" are like a football player who is "physical."

Does that mean that he would have more "physicality," or as I am going to start calling it: Physical Quality or PQ?

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what other word means: how well a certain item reproduces sound? i don't know another. obviously sound "quality" is subjective, but we need some word to show that we're talking about how good the sound is to us...........what would you prefer? "sound inequality?

Actually, if we're going to talk about sound quality, there isn't a single word for it. There's a whole dictionary full of descriptive terms that, while inexact and subjective, still mean SOMETHING: bassy, clean, sparkly, boomy, "with lush midrange," narrow/wide in soundstage, with lots/little headroom, tinny, warm, natural/analytic, et cetera.

I like the UM3X better than the SE530.
The UM3X sounds better than the SE530.
The UM3X sounds more natural than the SE530.
The UM3X has cleaner bass than the SE530.

The UM3X has higher SQ than the SE530?

Sep 20, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one here who sees the irony in the thread title "Stupid Verbage"? TS, although I do somewhat agree with your point, was is really necessary to start 2 seperate threads about it?

You're right. When I posted this, I had lost the other thread.

Eye in the sky, go ahead and delete this thread or combine it with the other one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back