Stupid Verbage
Sep 8, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #16 of 46
This is all fine. But which measurable factor do we associate with SQ? I know of few if any that even remotely correlates with SQ. Yet we all know that SQ is important. As mentioned before, the difficulty arises when we speak without context (associated equipment, music type, etc) or even without a reference (comparison to a known entity). We need to insist on this level of precision from all reviewers.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not nearly as bad as "oomph". I've actually heard that used TWICE!

Once when I stupidly asked a clerk at a nutrition store about two lines in of the same brand, he actually answered that "well this one is like the other one, but just has move oomph", I was ready to deck him.

Second time was on this forum where somebody posted a thread with something like "I want MOAR POWA, my headphones need more OOMPH". Similar reaction as above.

EDIT: It's crazy to see the sheer number of results when searching for "oomph" on this forum.

Would you prefer virility? or pizzazz?
smily_headphones1.gif

I find that the hd650's produce bass with great virility with the right music source.
biggrin.gif

I find that the hd650's produce bass with great pizzazz with the right music source.
biggrin.gif

hmmm
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll give you three guesses what thoughtless tweenage grunt of passive-aggressive disapproval I hate the most. The first two don't count. Take your nondescript "meh" and shove in your unimaginative ass.

meh
very_evil_smiley.gif

My #1 "hated with a white-hot passion" verbiage is the use of the words/phrases "tight" and "off the hook". Almost makes 25 to life worth it
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
meh

meh

meh

meh

meh

meh

meh

meh

meh

meh

meh

meh

I'll give you three guesses what thoughtless tweenage grunt of passive-aggressive disapproval I hate the most. The first two don't count. Take your nondescript "meh" and shove in your unimaginative ass.

+1

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate the word, SQ.

what other word means: how well a certain item reproduces sound? i don't know another. obviously sound "quality" is subjective, but we need some word to show that we're talking about how good the sound is to us...........what would you prefer? "sound inequality?

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #22 of 46
quality IS subjective, and if you don't realize that, you have real problems; read zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance; i guess another way would be just to call it "sound"...........like this "sounds good"......or this has good sound..........but that "sounds" a bit weird
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My personal beef is the hi-fi mag-type: "I listened to the X..." where X is anything other than the music. You can't listen to a CD player, cables, amp or headphones, you listen with those things. "The cd player/amp/cable/whatever sounded..." No, it didn't unless you hit it with something or dropped it. "The music sounded.." is correct.

/rant.
smily_headphones1.gif

I like proper grammar so I agree with this post. Also, it sounded good. :wink:

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
meh
very_evil_smiley.gif

My #1 "hated with a white-hot passion" verbage is the use of the words/phrases "tight" and "off the hook". Almost makes 25 to life worth it
wink.gif

Yo Dawg. Your statement is Off Da Hook!

Sorry man. Are we still tight?

very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
meh
very_evil_smiley.gif

My #1 "hated with a white-hot passion" verbage is the use of the words/phrases "tight" and "off the hook". Almost makes 25 to life worth it
wink.gif

right on, man. outta sight.

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #27 of 46
Congratulations. This ranks in my top 10 most useless threads of the week. English is a limited means of expressing what we're comparing internally, thus constantly yielding foggy terms like "sound quality". Bad news. Nobody cares, and they're going to continue to write their reviews in the way that they feel best expresses what they're hearing. I personally don't use "sound quality" very often because it's such a general term, but then again, I'd love to see an example of what the OP considers to be proper verbage, because there's nothing in the English language that can properly describe music or sound for that matter.

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #28 of 46
I use the term Sound Quality in general, i use it to basically conclude how one is better than another. But on top of that, i go through explaining why it is superior. You are righ though, Sound Quality in general means basically nothing at all...

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #29 of 46
Honestly, I think when most people say "sound quality", they probably mean "sound resolution". Definitely, each headphone has a certain resolution with which it can reproduce the music. Since the quality of the headphone is often correlates to its ability to resolve music properly, I think that's probably where "sound quality" came from.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My personal beef is the hi-fi mag-type: "I listened to the X..." where X is anything other than the music. You can't listen to a CD player, cables, amp or headphones, you listen with those things. "The cd player/amp/cable/whatever sounded..." No, it didn't unless you hit it with something or dropped it. "The music sounded.." is correct.

/rant.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would suggest that most people are refering to the fact that they are listening to the distinct sound characteristics of a headphone/cable/amp. Alternatively, it may be even simpler in that they could just be stating that they are listening to their headphones playing music as opposed to speakers or live. In either case, I don't see how the phrase "listening to headphones" is a problematic condensation of the main concept. Meh.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back