stupid outdated customs
Aug 24, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #61 of 69
Piccolo, I like the way you think. I was expecting to hear something else entirely (not sure what, exactly). I can absolutely appreciate any added benefits where sex is involved!
wink.gif

That said, there are very real (if minor) health benefits and drawbacks to both options and, typically, the one receiving the procedure usually has no say in the matter anyway (except for screaming maybe - I can't imagine I was a happy baby after that little fiasco). I can only hope that a given set of parents would do their homework and seek out professional opinion on the matter before making their choice [EDIT - speaking of course, where religion doesn't play a role in the decision].

Haven't had any issues on this end, so I'll remain happily ignorant about the other option - can't exactly go back to try it out anyway, right?

It's just interesting that you're so passionate about it. Have any opinions about tattoos or piercing? I'm running with the "bodily purity" thing here - plus, they are ancient customs in their own right and I'm sure we'll have varying opinions there, too.

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #62 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
earwicker, nobody says you can't sit on the urinal and pee. You go dude!

YES! pee in your booth!

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #64 of 69
Got another one (not sure if this can be considered a 'custom' or not):

'Ear candling' is a profoundly dumb and outdated practice. Even though it has been proven time and again that it is an absolutely useless procedure, people still believe in it and practice it. Why not just drill a hole in your head to 'let out the evil spirits' while you are at it?

Complete and utter snake oil.

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #65 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not entirely sure what about a simple and ancient procedure irks you so much, but maybe you can read without seeing red?

http://nd.essortment.com/circumcisionunc_rmdj.htm

http://www.circinfo.net/

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...ctive/042.html

http://www.aap.org/pubed/ZZZJZMEMH4C.htm

I have tried to be balanced with my references there, since I could personally care less either way - chop the top or don't, there are benefits to both.

Seriously, can I ask why you have such a strong opposing view to circumcision?

I've never heard of anyone getting Penile Cancer before. Minor risks, if anything.

As for stupid, outdated customs--why are people supposed to remove their hats when they enter a building? Why!?

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #66 of 69
Hey, I'm not saying the benefits and downsides to either choice are major ones, not in the least. I just got into it because it seemed there was fairly strong personal reaction to something that is, in my opinion, a pretty minor thing, and certainly no one else's business either way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte
As for stupid, outdated customs--why are people supposed to remove their hats when they enter a building? Why!?

Oh man, that is OLD SCHOOL. I believe it was simple customary common courtesy in most instances (In the case of certain buildings - war memorials, etc. I believe a salute to fallen soldiers).

With the current lack of consideration and respect of the general public at large, however, maybe it would be a good thing to reinstate such courtesies...

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #67 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I'm not saying the benefits and downsides to either choice are major ones, not in the least. I just got into it because it seemed there was fairly strong personal reaction to something that is, in my opinion, a pretty minor thing, and certainly no one else's business either way.

Of course. I does seem rather silly to me, however. Really, if people were given a choice to remove their baby's appendix when it was born, how many would? Sure, the risk of developing complications is minor, but still real. I say leave the kid's foreskin alone, and teach him how to scrub his stuff reeaal good-like, which he should do anyway, 'cause cleanliness is next to godliness, hear.

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #69 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard of anyone getting Penile Cancer before. Minor risks, if anything.

These guys don't:
mulholland-falls2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back