stupid outdated customs
Aug 23, 2007 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
Post your favorites--

Here's my pet peeve, and I know some members will question my sexuality over this, but why the hell do men still pee standing up
mad.gif
? I'm sorry, but I have much better things to do than clean your urine off of my bathroom floor, and I don't want to be a hypocrite and do the same thing to you. There seems to be pretty conclusive evidence that it just isn't working out--any public bathroom. Now I've been in a few women's bathrooms (back in the bar hopping days... I wasn't going to snort lines with the bar-skank-du-jour in front of everyone else, they'd ask me to share... ah, memories
tongue.gif
) and their floors are spotless. SPOTLESS, I TELLS YA!

All I'm saying is that if we demanded the same level of quality from our stream o' peepee that we demanded from our stereos, this would have ended a long time ago. Fight the power
very_evil_smiley.gif
!!!

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 69
I think a urinal is perfectly fine. It is better than having urine on the toilet seat.

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 69
When I go to the coliseum on a hockey night, there's always a whole line of people waiting to use the urinal. Now if we convert all that to toilets, plus everybody has to sit, that's not a very pleasant sight.

I think a dumb custom is to clap for yourself. Where's the modesty?

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 69
There are many "stupid outdated customs," but peeing standing up is not one of them. Most people can pee standing up without getting the floor dirty. Some men are just slobs. Men's public toilet stalls are also far dirtier than women's public toilet stalls, and it ain't usually because of pee.

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 69
Most guys don't even try to aim. They just go in, close their eyes, and then spin around with their d**ks out.

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 69
Women have the nesting instinct though, which is part of what drives them towards preferring a bit more cleanliness. I'm sure there are other evolutionary reasons as well, including greater vulnerability to pathogens, particularly reproductive infections related to uncleanliness.

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #10 of 69
Let's say you can hit the pot 99% of the time. That's still 1% of your urine on my floor! It's just inefficient given that if you sit down, you hit it 100% of the time. So what exactly is the reason for standing up other than because you were told to do it by your parents?

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 69
It's still not the best solution. When you pee sitting down, some of the splashes will splatter back up your thighs and butt. You will be exposed anyway to tiny splashes of pee and it will get into your inner pants as well as you pull them up.

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #13 of 69
Long before toliets, men had to urinate standing up in the woods.
There is a natural angle to urinate, about 60 degrees off the horizontal.

If you deviate from that natural angle, it creates more friction in your urinary tract. I believe you can actually damage yourself if you point upwards or any other angle.

That's why it's better for men to urinate standing then sitting.

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #14 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's still not the best solution. When you pee sitting down, some of the splashes will splatter back up your thighs and butt. You will be exposed anyway to tiny splashes of pee and it will get into your inner pants as well as you pull them up.

This is true to an extent, but it's nothing a good wipe can't fix. To me, it's more about what it does to others, not myself. I just can't with a good conscience pee all over someone's floor. I've been squatting for a few years now and don't see what the big deal is.

From a totally utilitarian perspective, what exactly is the purpose of standing? The quoted post is actually a good point, I'm looking for more like this!

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #15 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been squatting for a few years now and don't see what the big deal is.

There is nothing wrong with squatting. If you prefer it, you have every right as a citizen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back