stupid outdated customs
Aug 23, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #46 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will there be tiny cupcakes instead of the traditional three-tier?
wink.gif

No. There will be tiny three-tier cupcakes, held up by those plastic pizza things that keep the box from wrecking the cheese.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds like a good plan to me! Best wishes with whatever you end up deciding upon.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself. I haven't even managed to propose yet, and she's moving 400km away this weekend for 10 months. In the meantime, I need to work on not falling into other, more manly stupid traditions while on my bachelor stint:

- Clothes are a burden. Underwear is the name of the game, unless I gotta deal with the trash* and then jogging pants and a beater will suffice
- *Trash is now a monthly ordeal
- Corn chips have graduated to a food group; salsa is a vegetable
- All meats must be preceeded with names like "cowboy" or "baseball" or "bearclaw"

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #47 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Post your favorites--

Here's my pet peeve, and I know some members will question my sexuality over this, but why the hell do men still pee standing up
mad.gif

Where are you moderators when we need you?

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #49 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most guys don't even try to aim. They just go in, close their eyes, and then spin around with their d**ks out.

You know this by observation?

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #50 of 69
Quote:

Men's public toilet stalls are also far dirtier than women's public toilet stalls, and it ain't usually because of pee.

Absolutely false. Anyone who has ever worked in any kind of supermarket or retail store can attest that the women's bathroom is virtually always exponentially filthier than the men's bathroom. I have heard this story from multiple people, including close friends and family members who have worked retail.

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #51 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Of course. I also suspect there's angry dry-humping about, seeing as half the stall doors always seem to be "damaged".

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #52 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are you moderators when we need you?

Right here at your service.
icon10.gif

I was taught when I was young, that saying "God Bless You" was because each time you sneezed, you were letting a little bit of the devil out of you.

So...if you're not religious, then saying that, and "Bless you" and "Gesundheit" are hypocritical to say the least. Yet, if you don't say something, then you can be considered rude by some people.

Grey area.

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #53 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right here at your service.
icon10.gif

I was taught when I was young, that saying "God Bless You" was because each time you sneezed, you were letting a little bit of the devil out of you.

So...if you're not religious, then saying that, and "Bless you" and "Gesundheit" are hypocritical to say the least. Yet, if you don't say something, then you can be considered rude by some people.

Grey area.

I think gesundheit just means good health, so it's not one of the religiously motivated sneeze sayings. I didn't know that until I looked it up today. I had always thought it was just some kind of gibberish, like poking fun at the sound one makes when one sneezes.

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #54 of 69
Some traditions I would like to see go:

Male & female circumcision
Bride burning in India
Bullfighting (or any ritual animal abuse)
Abuse backed by religion (wife beating or the "Semen Warriors" of New Guinea)
Hazing
Native whale hunts

Aug 24, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #55 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Most guys don't even try to aim. They just go in, close their eyes, and then spin around with their d**ks out.

Possibly by experience.
tongue.gif

jk!

I don't like urinals. Splashback = yuck.

I think there is a similar thread going on at Anandtech about this subject.

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #56 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some traditions I would like to see go:
Male & female circumcision

I agree with the other ones on your list (well, First Nation Whale hunting is a big time grey area) but a male circumcision is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different than female. There are legitimate health benefits to male circumcision (with its own set of drawbacks) compared to remaining au naturale.

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #57 of 69
Quote:

There are legitimate health benefits to male circumcision

No. There really aren't. At all.

But I won't even get in to this, because I feel so strongly about it that I just cannot remain rational.

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #58 of 69
I'm not entirely sure what about a simple and ancient procedure irks you so much, but maybe you can read without seeing red?

http://nd.essortment.com/circumcisionunc_rmdj.htm

http://www.circinfo.net/

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...ctive/042.html

http://www.aap.org/pubed/ZZZJZMEMH4C.htm

I have tried to be balanced with my references there, since I could personally care less either way - chop the top or don't, there are benefits to both.

Seriously, can I ask why you have such a strong opposing view to circumcision?

Aug 24, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #59 of 69
I'm going to be frank, so if you're a prude, don't read: Because the foreskin, specifically the area of the foreskin called the "ridged band" contains a tremendous amount of erogenous nerve endings that are invariably lost when the foreskin is cut away. Not only that, but the natural gliding action of the glans moving in and out of the skin is lost as well. Not only does this roughen both sex and masturbation, but significantly reduces sensation as well.

In my opinion, it is nothing less than mutilation, unless done for extremely serious medical reasons.

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #60 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Post your favorites--

Here's my pet peeve, and I know some members will question my sexuality over this, but why the hell do men still pee standing up
mad.gif
?

earwicker, nobody says you can't sit on the urinal and pee. You go dude!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back