stupid outdated customs
Aug 23, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #31 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amen. We can all fling poo with the best of 'em.

My least favorite custom of all time: saying "bless you" (or some other stupid phrase) after someone sneezes. Hands down the stupidest custom to survive into the age of reason. It turns my stomach when I hear everyone in the office say it, and it's just not fair that one is considered rude if one doesn't join in the insanity. "Gesundheit" makes some sense, but not enough to say if one doesn't know why one is saying it. Yet another case of politeness superseding meaningfulness.

Wow, i agree with this whole-heartedly. Its ridiculous. *sneeze* bless you, thanks. Why are you thanking me for saying that? Why dont we say something when people cough? sneezing is natural reaction, why say a phrase to negate it as if its an inconvenience? There's this lady at my work who sneezes atleast 10 times a day. i told her im no longer saying bless you. She gets upset.

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker;3218132ce
of making a mess on the floor.

Another option, in public places for men and women is to offer 8 oz. size dixie cups to pee in, and then you pour the cup into the toilet or urinal and dispose of the cup.

This is especially important for the famous "first morning pee" which can sometimes be "out of control".
basshead.gif

Make it 12oz. 10 is pretty much standard when i go.

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #32 of 69
I can't believe I read this entire thread. It's like a train wreck... it's horrific, yet I can't take my eyes off it.

Gotta go now... I have the sudden urge to pee.

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #34 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
peegoal.gif

Another option, in public places for men and women is to offer 8 oz. size dixie cups to pee in, and then you pour the cup into the toilet or urinal and dispose of the cup.

Sounds like my strategy for watching long movies at the theater. I'm sorry, but I'm not missing 3 minutes of Lord of the Rings
eggosmile.gif

And no, I didn't steal this from "Family Guy". I've been doing it for at least 10 years. Just make sure to wear a baggy shirt so you can hide the, um, equipment while you're doing the dirty work.

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #35 of 69
When I am at home, or at a friend or family members house, I sit 100% of the time. Any man who thinks they get 100% of their pee into the toilet when they are standing are fooling themselves. I have a friend of 25+ years who hangs out with me at my house every Friday night. Each and every time without fail he manages to get pee all over the seat and often times the floor. It has gotten really bad, and my wife has just about had enough. She has grown tired of cleaning up his urine, and standing in it with my bare feet has become tiresome as well. It's a pretty uncomfortable situation, because I haven't quite worked up the nerve to ask him to 'please sit' from now on since he can't manage to get it in the bowl when he stands. I see absolutely no reason to stand when I am at home, or at a friend or family members house. And I think the same courtesy should be extended to me. Or if you absolutely MUST stand for some odd reason, the least you can do is clean up your freakin' mess afterward.

Out in public is an entirely different game. I wouldn't sit on a toilet seat on a bet. I try to avoid using public rest rooms at all costs, but when I really MUST use one, I stand and use a urinal. And I do my best to not stand in puddles of pee or pubic hairs while I do it. It never ceases to amaze me how disgusting people can be. And it kills me to see that many men (and children) run right out of the bathroom without washing their hands after handling their weiner and peeing all over themselves. Absolutely freakin' amazing.

And don't fool yourself about the 'ladies' my wife has told me stories about things she has seen in the ladies room. The types of things that once you see, you just can't 'unsee' them. Bad, bad things. I won't go into too many details, but it is bad enough to make one want to loose his lunch - I promise.

As for a 'stupid outdated custom' that perplexes me:

It would have to be the 'traditional' wedding that you can find in anywhere, USA. You know the ones I am talking about. They always use that horrible 'wedding march' song - sounds more like a funeral march if you ask me.

These types of weddings normally take place in a church, and of course there are the ugly bridesmaids dressed in those hideous dresses.

Then the bride and groom regurgitate the same old wedding vowes that the person marrying them is saying. Then we exchange the rings. Then we pronounce you man and wife, blah blah blah, you may kiss the bride crap. Then we throw rice at them (unless you are hippies, in which case you use something more bird friendly, like maybe birdseed). And I can only ask 'why'? Well skippy, because that's how it's always been done! Then the severely overprice photographer takes a bunch of cheesy horribly posed pictures of the bride and groom and wedding party. in order to capture this magical moment for all of eternity.

Then on to the cliche reception. Where there is normally a cheesy DJ playing the most horrible music. Normally the guests arrive first - don't forget to 'sign the guest wedding book', and drop your card or gift on the 'gift table'. Once everyone is settled, the groomsmen, bridesmaids, mother and father of the bride, mother and father of the groom, followed (finally) "FOR THE FIRST TIME IN PUBLIC", Mr. and Mrs. ZzzZZZzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Then you MUST have the traditional first dance, mom dance with groom, dad dance with bride, bride dances with groom to 'their special song', etc *vomits on shoes*.

Then your perverted uncle Harry proceeds to get drunk and make a smacked ass out of himself as he hits on women half of his age while he dances to the 'Chicken Dance', or other such wonderful hits as 'The Macarena', "Celebration', 'The Electric Slide', etc. Oh and how can we forget the part where everyone at random intervals clings their silverware on their glassware which triggers the bride and groom to kiss. Also, don't forget the part where the DJ plays 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot' while the bride and groom feed each other a piece of the most disgusting cake one will ever have the displeasure of putting in ones mouth? Of course this usually turns into a cake smash in the face after egging on by the (now) plastered groomsmen.

Etc, etc, ad nauseum.

These types of affairs are usually so predictable that it is painful.

And all of this could be yours for between $30,000 and $Infinty dollars!

Umm, thanks, but no thanks.

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #36 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like my strategy for watching long movies at the theater. I'm sorry, but I'm not missing 3 minutes of Lord of the Rings
eggosmile.gif

And no, I didn't steal this from "Family Guy". I've been doing it for at least 10 years. Just make sure to wear a baggy shirt so you can hide the, um, equipment while you're doing the dirty work.

"Honey, NO! .. that's not Sprite!"

Aug 23, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #37 of 69
Agreed on weddings. At my cousin's wedding 2 years back, the ceremony took a mere 3 and a half hours... It lasted so incredibly long, AND half of it was some stupid ritual in arabic (I think, not sure on the language). See, my cousin (Indian) married a syrian orthodox woman (although she is really, really nice), and there are a whole bunch of customs to go with it, some random bullsh*t that I don't care about or even understand. Boooring. Not to mention we had to skip breakfast and lunch so we could get there 3 hours early so some crapty photographer can take some *terrible* pictures of us. Brilliant, I say! And then there's the party after. Good food, but horrible, horrible music (terrible hip-hop crap and terrible clipping/distortion issues, not to mention >110db levels in there). This is a wedding? Not classy at all.

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by saboteur1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed on weddings. At my cousin's wedding 2 years back, the ceremony took a mere 3 and a half hours... It lasted so incredibly long, AND half of it was some stupid ritual in arabic (I think, not sure on the language). See, my cousin (Indian) married a syrian orthodox woman (although she is really, really nice), and there are a whole bunch of customs to go with it, some random bullsh*t that I don't care about or even understand. Boooring. Not to mention we had to skip breakfast and lunch so we could get there 3 hours early so some crapty photographer can take some *terrible* pictures of us. Brilliant, I say! And then there's the party after. Good food, but horrible, horrible music (terrible hip-hop crap and terrible clipping/distortion issues, not to mention >110db levels in there). This is a wedding? Not classy at all.

Looks like you missed the ethnic diversity education. Where's your decency to accept tradition and customs of other cultures? Maybe it's a very religious thing for them, and it's custom to party-out on occasions like this. You should stop acting like a child and circumventing the swear filter, that is extremely uncool, and there's a reason for it.

My least favorite "custom" is people crunching popcorn a the theaters during a drama. Wow what can be more annoying? At least have the courtesy to eat slower and quieter. Eating loud is one of the grossest things which people do all the time.

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #39 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL!!!!

That said, as a guy who has to clean his own toilet, I've got in the habit of sitting at home. When out, it depends on my mood.

Same here, it keeps the bathroom much cleaner. Urinals in public restrooms are fine.

My wife complains about womens restrooms all the time. It seems that many women don't like to actually sit on the toilet seat, preferring instead to "hover". Apparently, the hoverers miss fairly frequently.
frown.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #40 of 69
Regarding traditional western wedding traditions, I can't say I disagree, but I think there's a lot to be said about them, at the same time. I'm a stalwart agnostic/borderline atheist but you know what? I'll get married in a church. Why? For my family and my girl (who feels the same as I do). Remember that it's a big day for your folks, and other close family members who would like to see the family traditions represented.

As far as I'm concerned, a wedding should consist of a private, SHORT ceremony to get the nuptials out of the way, followed by a raging party to celebrate. There will be no chicken dance. There will be no Macarena.

Yes, there will likely be a little Slayer.

And for the love of Pete, it's not going to cost anywhere NEAR $30k. Thankfully, it seems to be easier to keep weddings on the cheap in Canada (relatively speaking) compared to the madness that is US matrimonial gouging.

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #41 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding traditional western wedding traditions, I can't say I disagree, but I think there's a lot to be said about them, at the same time.

Oh yeah, no doubt!

In my case, I really lucked out. My woman absolutely did NOT want a big, traditional wedding (and God knows, neither did I). So we wrote our own vowes, and hopped on a plane. Got married on a tropical island, on the beach at sunset. It was me, her, 1 photographer, and the lady who married us. After which we remained on said tropical island to celebrate for a couple of weeks. Our families both know that we have always marched to the beat of a different drummer, and as it turned out, they were all ok with it (except for my Grandfather. He is 'oldschool', and was a little disappointed). But the rest of my friends and family weren't really all that surprised that we did it the way we did.

But to be quite honest, the way I looked at it was that it was our day, not anyone else's. And regardless of what anyone else thought, we were going to do it our way. Which as it turned out was absolutely perfect. If I could go back and do it all over again, I wouldn't have changed a single thing. I can promise that the way we did it was infinitely more special and memorable than what a traditional wedding would have been (at least for us).

As I said, I got lucky. Most women definitely do want a traditional wedding. And how can you deny them that on what is supposed to be one of the most important and special days of their entire life? Cliche or not, if that's how a couple wants to spend their special day, then by all means I can completely understand. I was just saying that for me (and my wife) a traditional wedding 9 times out of 10 is predictable, cliche and boring. It is a silly tradition I will never quite be able to wrap my head around. It's just not my 'style'.
wink.gif
I get a bigger kick out of seeing people get married while skydiving, or while riding a roller coaster, or bungee jumping, or in some other 'out of the ordinary' and anti-traditional way.

With that said, I am sure it is only a matter of time before someone comes in here and posts that Marriage in general is a "stupid outdated custom". Most likely will be a bitter divorcee, or someone who has recently had their heart broken by someone they love(d).

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #42 of 69
I recently attended a friend's wedding that was held in a cathedral. The ceremony lasted about 20 minutes. Traditional + short = a winning combination.

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #43 of 69
I hear ya, L-man. In fact, my girlie and I have discussed a few times the prospect of having a tropical wedding. Not such a solitary one - friends and family are still invited. By all accounts, there are three fantastic benefits to a tropical wedding:

1) SMALL - only those truly devoted will shell out the clams to come see you on your day. Then you tell them to bugger off and enjoy their vacation because it's honeymoon time for us in paradise!
2) Cheaper - See: SMALL!
3) Beautiful scenery and none of the madness associated with a huge wedding followed by a rush to the airport for a honeymoon. You're already there!

I mean, most people couldn't care about the ceremony anyway, right? So just throw a big party when you get back!

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #44 of 69
Quote:

I hear ya, L-man. In fact, my girlie and I have discussed a few times the prospect of having a tropical wedding. Not such a solitary one - friends and family are still invited. By all accounts, there are three fantastic benefits to a tropical wedding:

1) SMALL - only those truly devoted will shell out the clams to come see you on your day. Then you tell them to bugger off and enjoy their vacation because it's honeymoon time for us in paradise!
3) Beautiful scenery and none of the madness associated with a huge wedding followed by a rush to the airport for a honeymoon. You're already there!

I mean, most people couldn't care about the ceremony anyway, right? So just throw a big party when you get back!

Will there be tiny cupcakes instead of the traditional three-tier?
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #45 of 69
Quote:

That sounds like a good plan to me! Best wishes with whatever you end up deciding upon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back