stupid outdated customs
Aug 23, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #16 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long before toliets, men had to urinate standing up in the woods.
There is a natural angle to urinate, about 60 degrees off the horizontal.

If you deviate from that natural angle, it creates more friction in your urinary tract. I believe you can actually damage yourself if you point upwards or any other angle.

That's why it's better for men to urinate standing then sitting.

LOL!!!!

Look, obviously peeing standing up isn't a "custom", it's just convenient 'cause it's quicker and you don't have to fiddle with your clothing so much (unless you have a button fly - now what's up with THAT?).

That said, as a guy who has to clean his own toilet, I've got in the habit of sitting at home. When out, it depends on my mood.

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #18 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's up with a button fly - no nasty zipper to grab your pecker, that's what.

Once bitten - forever shy.

But it's a mistake you'll never make twice (speaking from personal experience).

Aug 23, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #19 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most guys don't even try to aim. They just go in, close their eyes, and then spin around with their d**ks out.

really? do they also do the hokey-pokey?

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #20 of 69
There is a porcelain manufacturer who is putting a little colored fly right in the finish of the bowls at the aim point. It gives the guys something to aim at, and I understand that it actually works!

The hunter instinct, I guess.

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #21 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Women are slobs too. After all, we are all essentially primates.

Amen. We can all fling poo with the best of 'em.

My least favorite custom of all time: saying "bless you" (or some other stupid phrase) after someone sneezes. Hands down the stupidest custom to survive into the age of reason. It turns my stomach when I hear everyone in the office say it, and it's just not fair that one is considered rude if one doesn't join in the insanity. "Gesundheit" makes some sense, but not enough to say if one doesn't know why one is saying it. Yet another case of politeness superseding meaningfulness.

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #23 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Learn to aim and keep a steady stream.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long before toliets, men had to urinate standing up in the woods.
There is a natural angle to urinate, about 60 degrees off the horizontal.

If you deviate from that natural angle, it creates more friction in your urinary tract. I believe you can actually damage yourself if you point upwards or any other angle.

That's why it's better for men to urinate standing then sitting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a porcelain manufacturer who is putting a little colored fly right in the finish of the bowls at the aim point. It gives the guys something to aim at, and I understand that it actually works!

Toilet training on head-fi. This is one of the more amusing threads I've bumped into lately. I can tell you that women using public toilets may be worse than men. Since they don't want to sit on the seats they plan on peeing on, they stand/squat, too, miss horribly and don't clean up. I avoid public bathrooms when possible.

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #24 of 69
It's my experience that women's public washrooms are as bad or worse than the men's room. This is from personal observation and the reports from the finer sex (who also have a frame of reference). The comments are normally made after a woman is forced to use the men's room for whatever reason, typically consisting of a big ol' "Holy crap it's a paradise in there compared to..."

Also, for you folks confused about the standing and hitting the floor issue, I believe the OP was talking about splashback, not missing the bowl completely. A standard toilet and a healthy stream of golden, ropey braids is succeptible to massive amounts of splashback, leaving the rim and floor covered in droplets that do and will accumulate with time.

People do not typically enjoy cleaning such things.

I do typically sit at home, or at a friend's house, but I stand under any other conditions, since I could care less and indeed, it's more sanitary to stand.

Post-coital urination typically demands a sit or you're as likely to hit the wall behind you as the target.

First-thing-in-the-morning urination has its own set of challenges, whether sitting or standing. I hope I don't need to explain further!
wink.gif

[EDIT] Fast fact: I will pee in the woods/bush before a bathroom, even if the option to use a washroom is just inside. I am a mountain man.

[EDIT 2] Superpredator, I am right with you man. I don't ever say bless you and I look like a dick all the time because of it. Thankfully, I am a dick, so it works for me.

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #25 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

peegoal.gif

GOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!

If I ever get to build my dreamhouse (when I win Lotto) one of my visions is to have a urinal built into my bathroom.
Why should we have one in public places but not private homes. It's easier to clean and there's less of a chance of making a mess on the floor.

Another option, in public places for men and women is to offer 8 oz. size dixie cups to pee in, and then you pour the cup into the toilet or urinal and dispose of the cup.

This is especially important for the famous "first morning pee" which can sometimes be "out of control".
basshead.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #26 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amen. We can all fling poo with the best of 'em.

My least favorite custom of all time: saying "bless you" (or some other stupid phrase) after someone sneezes. Hands down the stupidest custom to survive into the age of reason. It turns my stomach when I hear everyone in the office say it, and it's just not fair that one is considered rude if one doesn't join in the insanity. "Gesundheit" makes some sense, but not enough to say if one doesn't know why one is saying it. Yet another case of politeness superseding meaningfulness.

I'll occasionally throw out a "salud" or "gesundheit", but usually only with my girlfriend or family.

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #27 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's my experience that women's public washrooms are as bad or worse than the men's room. This is from personal observation and the reports from the finer sex (who also have a frame of reference). The comments are normally made after a woman is forced to use the men's room for whatever reason, typically consisting of a big ol' "Holy crap it's a paradise in there compared to..."

Also, for you folks confused about the standing and hitting the floor issue, I believe the OP was talking about splashback, not missing the bowl completely. A standard toilet and a healthy stream of golden, ropey braids is succeptible to massive amounts of splashback, leaving the rim and floor covered in droplets that do and will accumulate with time.

People do not typically enjoy cleaning such things.

I do typically sit at home, or at a friend's house, but I stand under any other conditions, since I could care less and indeed, it's more sanitary to stand.

Post-coital urination typically demands a sit or you're as likely to hit the wall behind you as the target.

First-thing-in-the-morning urination has its own set of challenges, whether sitting or standing. I hope I don't need to explain further!
wink.gif

[EDIT] Fast fact: I will pee in the woods/bush before a bathroom, even if the option to use a washroom is just inside. I am a mountain man.

[EDIT 2] Superpredator, I am right with you man. I don't ever say bless you and I look like a dick all the time because of it. Thankfully, I am a dick, so it works for me.

Werd.

I usually go standing up, mostly because I drink large amounts of water and can't waste all that time removing pants, sitting, and whatnot. Also, sitting can be much more uncomfortable, as there is a possibility of urine escaping en masse through the space between the seat and the bowl, not to mention the occasional 'dip' into cold, filthy water. When wearing shorts/boxers, I usually have to wipe my legs post urination, due to splashback. I can only imagine the soaking the floor must take.

While 'first-thing-in-the-morning' urination problems are usually solved by eschewing the toilet for the bathtub (this usually involves aiming at the wall, if one must go 'Now'), there are other circumstances that can affect urination problems, such as lighting, substance abuse, and even circumscision. Not to mention post-urination leakage...

wink.gif

As far as blessing people after they sneeze, this makes me sick. If someone does it to me, I usually give my most pious, 'Thank you, Father', cross myself, and see if they get the point. Most don't, but it's still amusing, anyway.

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #28 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, sitting can be much more uncomfortable, as there is a possibility of urine escaping en masse through the space between the seat and the bowl...

Oh man, that happened to me once. Was soaking into my socks before I even noticed. The worst part, I was in the middle of doing the "other thing" we sit on the can for, so I found myself in a predicament, you could say.

I wasn't the only one that happened to, either. The seat was replaced very quickly. Never happened again.

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #29 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man, that happened to me once. Was soaking into my socks before I even noticed. The worst part, I was in the middle of doing the "other thing" we sit on the can for, so I found myself in a predicament, you could say.

I wasn't the only one that happened to, either. The seat was replaced very quickly. Never happened again.

STOP! You guys are killing me.....HAHAHAHAHA
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #30 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Men's public toilet stalls are also far dirtier than women's public toilet stalls, and it ain't usually because of pee.

My mother seems to feel differently about this.

Which reminds me of a funny story. When my brother use to work at the sizzler there was this woman who ate strictly lettuce based foods. Of course because of her wonderful digestive system, she would also frequent the bathroom. He, or someone else on staff would receive a call to clean the ladies bathroom stall. To his dismay and other employee's dismay there was crap all over the walls and toilet. Whenever she would come in from that day forward - they referred to her as salad shooter. Of course, they also hated when she came in (almost everyday) because they knew they would be getting dirty shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back