Stupid Idea For Casing?
Sep 28, 2010 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bop

100+ Head-Fier
There has been this question that was bugging me for a long while.  Is it possible to safely use ceramics for casework?

There are some obvious pros such as easy construction/manipulation, a wide variety of glazes/colors, heat-sinking effect, and the cheap price.

My worries are the possibilities for it storing electric or static charge, which could interfere with some delicate IC circuits.  Has anyone tried this before?

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 10
No, it isn't a stupid idea at all. I wouldn't worry about stored charges - ceramics have been used for over a century as high-quality insulators.

My concerns would be fragility/chipping and lack of EMI/RFI shielding, which metal cases provide. But if you have access to ceramics and a kiln, give it a try and share some photos!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 10
Fragility and chipping depend a lot on the type of ceramic used and the finishing process.

Shielding could be added (wire mesh) when necessary. Probably even baked in.

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 10
Well regarding fragility, it's just a matter of what kind of ceramics you use.  Top of the line kitchen knifes are ceramic and much stronger than their steel counterparts. 

This would probably be possible with some high tech industrial machine though, but nevertheless possible. as for shielding, you could always use mu metal sheets on the inside.

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 10
gimble, are you a potter? I am, I've thought about making a clay headphone stand but a case never crossed my mind. I don't see why it wouldn't work. ^6 stoneware would be plenty strong. Cool idea. 

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 10
Build it and then make a matching set of stone speakers (DIY Granite Speakers)
smile_phones.gif

I read a while ago about ceramic computer cases by "Plush Department Design Company" (linky). Seems like they make an amplifier too?

Give it a try. There are some very sturdy ceramic glazes, so I doubt chipping would be a problem.

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 10
Kyocera, a Japanese ceramics company that had a short foray into hifi audio products in the 1980s, used (surprise!) ceramics bases for their turntables. As turntables are primarily mechanical devices that must manage the energy released from the stylus tracking the record groove, and ceramics' anti-resonant properties makes sense.  Kyocera also used ceramic bases (but with conventional metal and plastic covers and face plates) for their other audio components which I think was of dubious value, but given the company's background it made marketing sense.

Sep 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Cool, thanks for all of the replies.

I'm not currently working on any project right now (busy with college applications and such), I guess I'll renew my membership to the nearby Art Center when the time comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back