100+ Head-Fier
Going off to school, so I need a slightly altered setup. My requirements:

1. Not much leakage (roomate)
2. Good containment
3. Comfort
4. neutrality
5. Street price of around $200

Thanks!

I was thinking about some shure/etys, but I dont know how comfortable they are for long-term use. Then I was thinging grados (Retro look= ideal) but I fear they leak too much.

Aug 7, 2005 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 12
Yes Grados will leak to much. I would suggest some UE super.fi 3 retail for 100$ then you can spend the rest of the money on music or maybe buy a lineout.

Shure E4c also come under 200$ now, so they are also an option.

If you are looking for closed cans then I suggest the DT770-80 or the A900.

Aug 7, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysan89
Yes Grados will leak to much. I would suggest some UE super.fi 3 retail for 100$ then you can spend the rest of the money on music or maybe buy a lineout.

Shure E4c also come under 200$ now, so they are also an option.

If you are looking for closed cans then I suggest the DT770-80 or the A900.

Ahhh, bingo. How are the UEs and the Shures for long term, comfortable use?

and where can I buy those ultimate ears? EDIT: At http://earphonesolutions.com/ starting tomorrow

Aug 7, 2005 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by fappar
Ahhh, bingo. How are the UEs and the Shures for long term, comfortable use?

I have the e4s and use them for about 15 hours a day. I could probably wear them 24 hours a day, but I feel that I have to have some social time with others
smily_headphones1.gif

c

Aug 7, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 12
"Studying headphones??" I thought you were asking whether we offer any degree programs at head-fi, and the answer (at the moment anyway) is no. This question does come up quite frequently, so perhaps we should add it to the FAQ.

Q: Does head-fi offer any courses or degree programs?

A: Head-fi is a not-for-profit (err... for-very-little-profit-and-sometimes-loss) non-academic (although highly intellectually stimulating) organization dedicated to the development of the headphoneus inner self of all of earth's creatures. Although we specialize in humans and their ability to hear, we sometimes get some rather strange animals wandering our way, who claim to hear beyond what would normally be considered human levels. We are not athorized to offer any degree programs nor to transfer credits toward the completion of degree programs offered by academic institutions, although we do often contribute toward the delinquency of students in such institutions.

Aug 7, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

"Studying headphones??" I thought you were asking whether we offer any degree programs at head-fi, and the answer (at the moment anyway) is no. This question does come up quite frequently, so perhaps we should add it to the FAQ.

Q: Does head-fi offer any courses or degree programs?

A: Head-fi is a not-for-profit (err... for-very-little-profit-and-sometimes-loss) non-academic (although highly intellectually stimulating) organization dedicated to the development of the headphoneus inner self of all of earth's creatures. Although we specialize in humans and their ability to hear, we sometimes get some rather strange animals wandering our way, who claim to hear beyond what would normally be considered human levels. We are not athorized to offer any degree programs nor to transfer credits toward the completion of degree programs offered by academic institutions, although we do often contribute toward the delinquency of students in such institutions.

I wonder how many people here also read the thread's title like that!
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lojay
I wonder how many people here also read the thread's title like that!
biggrin.gif

We could offer a course entitled, "Studying headphone website users" and include a section that addressed this very issue. Afterall, part of "studying headphones" is gaining an understanding of the environment in which they are used and the cognitive skills of those who use them most frequently. What better lab is there than head-fi to select test subjects from?

Edit: Ok, back to the subject at hand...

Aug 7, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by fappar
Going off to school, so I need a slightly altered setup. My requirements:

1. Not much leakage (roomate)
2. Good containment
3. Comfort
4. neutrality
5. Street price of around $200

Thanks!

I was thinking about some shure/etys, but I dont know how comfortable they are for long-term use. Then I was thinging grados (Retro look= ideal) but I fear they leak too much.

neutrality = HD280. flat flat flat sounding IMHO... almost to a fault. Except for some treble exageration at times. Distant and did I say flat?

Headband is fragile and tends to crack (well documented). The clamp force doesnt bother me that much.

Garrett

Aug 7, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 12
Personally I would recommend the Ety ER-4S/P (P if you don't have an amp).

I use mine to study and find them comfortable and, of course, extremely isolating. As such, I wear them to my usual cafe on a weekly basis and it's like I am studying in a library. I hear basically nothing of the outside world except my own music.

I'm not sure what their recent street price is, but hopefully it's within your range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back