Study shows that eating meat raises cancer risk
Dec 13, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #46 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reaction here reminds me of the response by smokers to studies linking smoking to lung cancer in the '50s and '60s.

Except, smoking:
- is highly addictive
- makes you smell like the meat pictured a few posts above after it has been cooked on that barbeque for 15 hours
- makes people around you get cancer as well
- etc etc

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

The reaction here reminds me of the response by smokers to studies linking smoking to lung cancer in the '50s and '60s.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I posted my message. However, humans have been eating meat throughout our whole existence, unlike smoking tobacco.

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #48 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah scientists say a lot of things, did you know every second you're alive you are one more second closer to death? I say eat what makes you happy I would rather die sooner happy than live a billion years unhappy.

Besides, vegans are so unhealthy looking! They always seem to be the ones with all kinds of weird yeast infections and what not.
cool.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #49 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's exactly what I was thinking when I posted my message. However, humans have been eating meat throughout our whole existence, unlike smoking tobacco.

Sort of true (tobacco has been used in the Americas since 3000 BC, according to Wikipedia), but aboriginal diets don't generally consist of large daily helpings of animal protein. I bet the guy with a well-rounded diet who smokes one cigarette a day is a lot healthier than the guy with permasteak in his colon.

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except, smoking:
- is highly addictive
- makes you smell like the meat pictured a few posts above after it has been cooked on that barbeque for 15 hours
- makes people around you get cancer as well
- etc etc

BUT, the reaction to the part about them causing cancer is the same, that is, the rejection of information that puts into question the safety of an activity or consumable one enjoys.

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #53 of 57
I heard cats were good for you, especially the glowing kind.

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #55 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator
Sort of true (tobacco has been used in the Americas since 3000 BC, according to Wikipedia), but aboriginal diets don't generally consist of large daily helpings of animal protein.

Wouldn't be too sure about that. Studies on prehistoric hunter-gatherer diet estimate that somewhere between 30-60% of protein consumed in the diet were from meat sources. The amount varies based on season and location, but meat consumption was a large part of the diet.

Quote:

BUT, the reaction to the part about them causing cancer is the same, that is, the rejection of information that puts into question the safety of an activity or consumable one enjoys.

Natural human trait.

Either way, I wouldn't put much faith into early observational studies like this one. Observational studies are an inexact art and even those with the best of intentions can be saddled with a nonrepresentative sample group or completely bugger the variable control. (See: Vitamin E/Heart Disease, Hormone Replacement Therapy)

At worst though, the variable control allows for someone to seriously tamper with the study results and cycle through permutations until they come up with the results they want. Such academic dishonesty is not uncommon. (See: Kellerman's 43:1 ratio)

Also, the difference between high meat consumption vs low meat consumption risk levels is rather smaller than it is with smokers and non-smokers. ~ 7% of Americans get colon cancer, so the risk difference is ~ 1.5% between the top and bottom quintiles. Not sure you're going to get much behavior modification to avoid that risk... In lung cancer, 90% of cases are smokers, only 10% are non-smokers.

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #56 of 57
I don't believe it's the meat rather all the nitrates, dyes, enhancers, fillers, stabilizers, preservers, reducers, binders and other chemicals in the processed meat that increases the risk for cancer.

In other words, how can we process something, call it meat, sell it to the public and stuff the proceeds into our pockets?

Seems, junk science (and medicine) is taught and practiced these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back