Study: People who listen to music out loud have more sex
Mar 17, 2016 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

coli

100+ Head-Fier
Out loud as opposed to on headphones.

Speaker master race!

http://mashable.com/2016/02/09/study-people-who-listen-to-music-out-loud-have-more-sex/#KgzWjt3LLEqA

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 19
Since my high school days many years ago all my households have always had music on except when actively watching TV, in other words no round the clock TV like in so many other homes.

As the article points out the study was sponsored by Sonos and Apple Music as a plug for the music streaming service and hardware. For the past 9+ years I've been using the Squeezebox music streaming devices and streaming makes playing music much easier and without having to put away discs.

I like the part about people "dancing gleefully" when there's music playing out loud. Yeah music tends to have that effect.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by coli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out loud as opposed to on headphones.

Speaker master race!

http://mashable.com/2016/02/09/study-people-who-listen-to-music-out-loud-have-more-sex/#KgzWjt3LLEqA

There's one problem with sex studies - it's self reported. People can lie. Someone who listens to music loud enough to qualify as an a-hole who doesn't care about other people getting sleep (or listening to their own music) is likely also the same kind of windbag who will lie about how much action he gets in the bedroom.

That isn't to say all those responses are lies, although there are other ways of looking at the data that aren't elaborated enough on in that article. First, do they actually like music the way audiophiles do, or do they rack up more time listening to music on speakers because they're playing songs to get a (potential) partner in the mood? Sitting down listening to Miles Davis or Hans Zimmer on a dedicated server/CDP/TT, or doing so while searing steak for yourself is one thing. That however might not necessarily be the same thing as when you're playing saxophone music or RnB from Spotify/AppleMusic/Sonos while preparing a meal for which you had to practice cooking as well as pronouncing all of it properly using high school French and repeatedly listening to Daniel Boulud pronounce it on a YouTube video.

The net neuro-biochemical readouts on both might be the samebut their relationship to the music is different. The first uses the music to manipulate (enhance or shift) his own state, the other, to influence another person's, the one whose pants he wants to get into. That isn't to say that the first is the music equivalent of some gaming neackbeard virgin - likely he does get action, but first of all music can be enjoyed at such a deeper level without the intention of using it as a leg opener, and second, if one such person even gets more action than a guy on headphones due to loudness, there are waaaaaaay more factors involved. One factor may be that the average guy with the HD600 pedals home or drives a Honda, but the guy with the Sonus Faber drives a Jaguar. So it's not really about loud listening, but perhaps a louder overall personality (unless the guy with the Honda is on a CBR1000RR, or a Civic with a coffee can "muffler"), plus the fact that he's obviously a better mate from an economic-financial standpoint (even if he knocks you up and leaves, you can sue this guy for a lot more child support cash). 

Mar 18, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 19
the study seems to be pretty simple and the difference was between people living their usual life without music or with music on headphones, VS having to use the sonos stuff. they didn't actually turn the families into zombies all carrying headphones on their heads while eating and sleeping. although I don't doubt it could have a negative impact on social relations ^_^

now in general, I still agree with the conclusion in the title of the topic outside of the study. if you can afford to have the music blasted through speakers anytime you like, you're more likely to have more money and live in a house where neighbors aren't an issue, right? ^_^ 
and then it really has nothing to do with music, as it's already shown in another study that people with more money tend to have more sex.

did I deduce wrong?
deadhorse.gif

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 19
I wished this also applied to my wife even though she plays her music out loud all the time
frown.gif

Bummer dude, those type of differences can be an issue. Well, at least there is good audio to help.

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 19
  the study seems to be pretty simple and the difference was between people living their usual life without music or with music on headphones, VS having to use the sonos stuff. they didn't actually turn the families into zombies all carrying headphones on their heads while eating and sleeping. although I don't doubt it could have a negative impact on social relations ^_^

now in general, I still agree with the conclusion in the title of the topic outside of the study. if you can afford to have the music blasted through speakers anytime you like, you're more likely to have more money and live in a house where neighbors aren't an issue, right? ^_^ 
and then it really has nothing to do with music, as it's already shown in another study that people with more money tend to have more sex.

did I deduce wrong?
deadhorse.gif

CLASSIC!  You nailed it.  I was thinking along the same lines.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #12 of 19
Wait where do I find that smiley where the head guy beats a dead horse?  Oh, here it is:     
deadhorse.gif

Wait wait, if you didn't notice, that was a three-way pun 
atsmile.gif
deadhorse.gif
   Where's that knee slap smiley?

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #13 of 19
Did not read the link.  Would that be people who listen out loud have more sex or is it a case of people who have more sex listen out loud?  Personal experience would agree with the latter. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #14 of 19
  Did not read the link.  Would that be people who listen out loud have more sex or is it a case of people who have more sex listen out loud?  Personal experience would agree with the latter. 

In the article it was that the amount of sex increased after the Sonos system with music playing out loud was introduced into the house. Prior to that it seems that everyone only had phone sex
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 19
The arousal mode was highest when listening to WOODwind instruments.

Anyway... the study is laughable.  It has no logical sense whatsoever.  I hope tax payer money didn't fund such a riduclous premise.
Perhaps next month another study will be that  "people that don't listen to music while eating dinner get laid more."  What a revealtion!  That talking more leads to intimacy?  Seriously?  Who could have thought of such a thing?
Let's throw a few more milliontax payer money to figure that out.  Jeez....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back