(Studio Worthy Headphones of up to $200) UPDATE: I got the ATH-M50's. I hate them! Why?.. Thoughts?
Dec 20, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #16 of 45

Quote:
Thanks for the input.  But umm, in regards to the original reply, I'll definitely read through a good amount of those eventually (and I always do), but I'm wondering if you have any recommendations of your own, considering what I'm looking for.  To sum that up, if you've ever heard the Brainwavz M2's/ViSang R03's, I want a more advanced version of those with better treble, just more acceptable for the studio.  Love them :D

I really would recommend looking through those threads, as most people get sick of posting in these threads.  No offense of course.  You just might get some more ideas from them. 

What are Brainwavz M2's/ViSang R03's?  Speakers?  I have Mackie HR624's, which are my reference for all headphones.

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #17 of 45

Quote:
You can try the GMP8.35, or the M-50. But louder bass and punchier, is in mix process...and this why is better to have flat FR, or balanced hps.

X2
if you're mixing with them you want flat. If you mix with bass heavy phones, your mix will sound bass light on any good neutral/accurate speakers or phones

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #18 of 45
Quote:
I really would recommend looking through those threads, as most people get sick of posting in these threads.  No offense of course.  You just might get some more ideas from them. 

What are Brainwavz M2's/ViSang R03's?  Speakers?  I have Mackie HR624's, which are my reference for all headphones.

Lol, no no man.  The Brainwavz M2's are IEM headphones.  Sorry I didn't specify; I thought I did. 

I know people would get tired posting in these but they will always be here.  That's the point of a forum.  More importantly than being able to find info from other threads, it's to be able to ask your own directly.  I, for example, mention specifics and that leads people to recommend similar headphones known to be good in those areas.  I can almost make a tally and then look into all those recommended headphones vs. searching on my own and finding what I might need based on one source of description.  I mean, sorry, but a lot of what a forum like this is about is, well, exactly this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:
You can try the GMP8.35, or the M-50. But louder bass and punchier, is in mix process...and this why is better to have flat FR, or balanced hps.

X2
if you're mixing with them you want flat. If you mix with bass heavy phones, your mix will sound bass light on any good neutral/accurate speakers or phones

Yeah, I get that.  But I'm also getting these phones to listen to music and enjoy it, slightly more than analyze it, so that's why I say it's ok for the phones to be a bit bass heavy.  For mixing, I can EQ it down. 

If I were getting headphones purely for mixing, I would of course get ones as "neutral" as possible.  I'd also go for a higher price range though because flat sounding phones have no tricks to make the sound seem better or more interesting so pure quality would be necessary.  At least that is my fear...

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #19 of 45
The DT990s are semi open. They're a hybrid between the DT770s and the DT880s. They are great headphones, however many people find their treble to be too harsh, and I don't know if they are exactly bass heavy headphones. The premium series of Beyers is essentially the standard. You'll see DT770/250/600, DT880/250/600, DT990/250/600 for the premium, and then the Pro, which is DT770/80 and so on. Like I said, the pro model tends to be bass heavy. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:
The DT990s are semi open. They're a hybrid between the DT770s and the DT880s. They are great headphones, however many people find their treble to be too harsh, and I don't know if they are exactly bass heavy headphones. The premium series of Beyers is essentially the standard. You'll see DT770/250/600, DT880/250/600, DT990/250/600 for the premium, and then the Pro, which is DT770/80 and so on. Like I said, the pro model tends to be bass heavy. 

Closed, semi-open, and open - that effects the sound and are engineered relative to the type that they are?  Is that literally how open they are - how much sound escapes from them?  I've seen the same model that was closed and open and I'm wondering is the closed version made differently because if not, it'd really impair the sound I'm guessing, sort of what happens when I put my hands over my current Sennheiser HD 595's.

Anyway, if I'm understanding this right, I need closed.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #21 of 45
Sorry for reviving this thread.  It's not too long to quickly glance over and there's just something for me I think feedback would be very meaningful for.

All this time ago, I decided to go with the ATH-M50's.  I'll be honest.  I gave them a lot of time, and being stuck with them, I truly realize and can't deny that I hate them.  Without going too in depth and not letting emotion get the best of the description, simply put, on their own or relative to other random headphones I randomly put on, their soundstage is puny, they sound dead, and bass is simply "audible".  They seem to try to FORCE a flat EQ. That's something very different from being neutral and being able to produce any sound in the spectrum at any level of dynamics.  If there's a techno song with thumping bass, a sound in that range without any sort of impact does not professional make.  I imagine a snobby know-nothing sitting there pondering how others could possibly not enjoy such an "accurate" and "analytical" sound.  Finally, they're also EXTREMELY uncomfortable.  Not a single person has found them to be so and immediately mention that by the way.  It's obvious why too and their build quality is total crap.  To describe them from a neutral perspective, I guess they sound ok, just, completely uninteresting and feel like they're just reproducing the frequency ranges in a clean manner without any dynamics or acoustics - like it's built with a cheap compressor.

Anyway, I recently found out about the FA-003 cans which I found priced at $150 and I'm surprised nobody mentioned them here.  It seems nothing would really sound like "a better version" of my beloved "Brainwavs M2 IEM's" but the FA-003's sound great.  I learned about them through the newly released Brainwavz MH5 cans which are speculated as being very similar.  They're even cheaper so I actually just took the leap and pre-ordered them for the amazing deal at the time which was $100.  From everything I read so far, I feel they have great potential for me to enjoy them if they're as good as reviewed. 

I've gotten a great deal of help when it came to IEMs and I haven't seen the same when it came to monitors or just full-sized headphones in general.  I'm confused as to why.  People seem less descriptive of their sound through a "feel" kind of perspective.  For instance, Joker chipped in a lot with my IEM decision and I'm thankful to this day for his suggestions and determination.

It's just confusing because people keep praising the M50s in so many regards and I see absolutely none of that in them.  It makes me feel like everything in existence is total BS if they in fact have the best bass while still being balanced, you know, have amazing this, amazing that, etc...  I find it hard thinking of things that I like about them truthfully.  I prefer my IEMs over them on almost all accounts.  Obviously I can't use the IEMs for real detailed listening though and it's just more comfortable at home to use the M50s.  Can anybody provide their opinion on whats going on here?  Try to assume the best in terms my audio comprehension abilities.  I can try reinforcing my confidence in my own perceptive skills but I feel that'd only come across as conceited or arrogant.

EDIT (from post #43): Are there any suggestions LOOKING PAST the M50's?  Back and forth can go on forever about them.  Point really is, based on what I don't like and maybe what some other people are saying, without irritatingly throwing other examples, what are honestly other good pairs of headphones which can measure up to other people's liking other than those who the M50's satisfy?  Once again, it's really seeming like there's nothing and I just don't think it could be that.  I would imagine there's something of every possible combination that would be considered good for its intent.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #22 of 45
i must say. it was a pleasure reading through this post. you seem to have similar ears as mine. i own the brainwavz m2 and also pre-ordered the hm5's. i was tempted to buy the m50s based on readings as well, but you've stopped me. (that's a good thing).

i'd be very happy if you posted your thoughts once you receive them. if they don't satisfy you, i would also be happy to know which headphones finally reproduce the kind of sound you're looking for.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #23 of 45

Quote:
Anyway, I recently found out about the FA-003 cans which I found priced at $150 and I'm surprised nobody mentioned them here. 

Extract from an interview of the founder of the Fischer company Valentin Kazanzhi:

Answer: And yet, despite all the difficulties, the number of brands producing headphones is growing steadily. Such an interesting business?

Valentin: In my opinion there are two reasons for that. First: the sound is something implicit and it is possible to arrange the mass marketing hoaxes around it. Second: In spite of everything, headphones today is one of the few remaining high-margin products. It is difficult to make money on TVs, laptops, cell phones. On headphones you can.

Answer: Well, does Fischer Audio follow hoaxes as well?

Valentine: We don't even have a marketing department. I hate marketing people. I consider them slackers who knowingly eat their own bread and deceive people.
(Editorial staff applauds standing)

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #24 of 45
Yep m50s suck. Srh840 is much better.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #26 of 45
Yep M50s raped my dog and caused my car to rust.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #28 of 45
Dec 19, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #29 of 45

Quote:
Yep m50s suck. Srh840 is much better.

This is complete ********.  You may prefer the 840's but the M50's don't suck.  The M50 actually measures better than the 840 in that it has less ringing.  Check out Purrin's plots if you want to cry yourself to sleep tonight.  I'm pretty tired of the "M50 backlash" with people hating on them simply because they are popular with noobs.  they're not the best ever by any means, but they are good closed headphones. 

I don't really have any idea what the OP is talking about.  I mean it's one thing to dislike a headphone, that's great.  But the OP seems to be saying the M50 has no bass, which makes me throw up my hands. 

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #30 of 45

Quote:
This is complete ********.  You may prefer the 840's but the M50's don't suck.  The M50 actually measures better than the 840 in that it has less ringing.  Check out Purrin's plots if you want to cry yourself to sleep tonight.  I'm pretty tired of the "M50 backlash" with people hating on them simply because they are popular with noobs.  they're not the best ever by any means, but they are good closed headphones. 

I don't really have any idea what the OP is talking about.  I mean it's one thing to dislike a headphone, that's great.  But the OP seems to be saying the M50 has no bass, which makes me throw up my hands. 

Yes they suck. Any headphone which gives me listening fatigue is a piece of crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back