Studio Six - A Reference Headphone Amp from ALO Audio - Now Available!
Jun 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #18 of 86
That is the best freaking audio commercial I have ever seen.   Wow.   Just brilliant. 

But I have to ask....if they make one with 1/4 the headphone inputs will it be 1/4 the price?  
size]

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #19 of 86
No option for balanced headphone out?

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #22 of 86
Quote:
Jude told me the E.A.R HP4 has a great reputation among high end headphone hobbyists.  

I don't have experience with the Eddie Current or Cavalli - but I do have the Ray Samuels Darkstar and Burson Conductor.
Would comparisons to those work well you think? 

I will say this:

We recently had a serious headphone geek-out sesh, listening to Stax 009's and a Woo WES, along with the Studio Six and Audeze LCD3's and HD800's
(using my MYTEK Stereo192-DSD DAC/Amarra as source)
I can't think of another dynamic headphone rig I've experienced that gets that close to the magic of the 009/WES combo!!  It helped showcase just how musical
the Studio Six is!  

That's great that you are willing to write two reviews.  It would definitely be helpful if in at least one review you could offer comparisons to other headphone amps you have owned or demo'd -- if the Darkstar and Burson Conductor are what you have on hand, that would be helpful.  Even a more in-depth description of the sonic attributes of the Ear HP4, and why you chose to buy it over other amps, would be helpful.

Question for ALO Audio: is there any way for potential customers to try before they (we) buy?  That will be important for an amp at this price point, I think.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #23 of 86
Quote:

On a side note regarding the SR-009/WES pairing, how does it handle Jazz? Complex and dynamic pieces found in some Jazz and Orchestral/Classical pieces? Thanks for considering my question.

the SR-009/WES pairing is excellent for Jazz!  It's wide open, airy, and handles micro and macro-dynamics with magical ease and precision.
I truly love listening to jazz on that rig.

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #24 of 86
Quote:
That's great that you are willing to write two reviews.  It would definitely be helpful if in at least one review you could offer comparisons to other headphone amps you have owned or demo'd -- if the Darkstar and Burson Conductor are what you have on hand, that would be helpful.  Even a more in-depth description of the sonic attributes of the Ear HP4, and why you chose to buy it over other amps, would be helpful.

Question for ALO Audio: is there any way for potential customers to try before they (we) buy?  That will be important for an amp at this price point, I think.

I'm totally down to write multiple reviews.
We're in the midst of a big move (from SoCal to NorCal end of the month) but once I'm settled in I'm all over it.

I need to make an important distinction though: I may have been aloof when I compared the E.A.R HP4 to the ALO Studio Six above:
I meant to say the ALO is the only other tube headphone amp (in addition to the E.A.R) that not only gives me chills when I listen, and is totally
addictive, but also reminds me of listening to multi-thousand dollar in-room high end audio systems!

I didn't mean to say the ALO is better than the E.A.R HP4 (and the HP4 is 6k, so I expect it to better the Studio Six in some ways - and it does - 
more on that to come in the review).  But, the most important thing with regard to this comparison is that, honestly: If I never heard the HP4 I 
would say the ALO Studio Six brings me closer to the emotive power of the music than any other headphone amp I've heard.

So, it's something to behold for SURE.  As is the HP4.

I plan on digging far deeper into this in my formal reviews.

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #26 of 86
Quote:
I'm totally down to write multiple reviews.
We're in the midst of a big move (from SoCal to NorCal end of the month) but once I'm settled in I'm all over it.

I need to make an important distinction though: I may have been aloof when I compared the E.A.R HP4 to the ALO Studio Six above:
I meant to say the ALO is the only other tube headphone amp (in addition to the E.A.R) that not only gives me chills when I listen, and is totally
addictive, but also reminds me of listening to multi-thousand dollar in-room high end audio systems!

I didn't mean to say the ALO is better than the E.A.R HP4 (and the HP4 is 6k, so I expect it to better the Studio Six in some ways - and it does - 
more on that to come in the review).  But, the most important thing with regard to this comparison is that, honestly: If I never heard the HP4 I 
would say the ALO Studio Six brings me closer to the emotive power of the music than any other headphone amp I've heard.

So, it's something to behold for SURE.  As is the HP4.

I plan on digging far deeper into this in my formal reviews.

I just submitted my first review of the Studio Six to Positive Feedback.  Should be published soon.
This review is focused on the Studio Six, and doesn't contain any comparisons, as I wanted to share my experience with the component - and keep the focus there.

I sincerely hope you guys dig it, and I plan on doing another review (or two) where I might draw some comparisons - as long as I can figure out how to do that while
keeping the focus on the music played back through the Studio Six.

LOVIN this amplifier!!!!

Jul 3, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #27 of 86
I have to 'echo' Zoom25 and tdogzthmn regarding the lack of a balanced headphone out. Granted, my experience is somewhat limited as a newbie, but I have always heard an improvement (albeit subtle) using a 4-pin balanced out...

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #28 of 86
Quote:
I have to 'echo' Zoom25 and tdogzthmn regarding the lack of a balanced headphone out. Granted, my experience is somewhat limited as a newbie, but I have always heard an improvement (albeit subtle) using a 4-pin balanced out...

Yes.  I have also experienced greater separation and dimensionality in the Ray Samuels Darkstar when going from 1/4" to balanced.

However, the Studio Six's musical performance (my biggest priority), trumped the need for balanced and other possible features once I heard it!!
I thought about these things before I lived with the amplifier for awhile.  Now - I don't even think about the things it could have - because it's such
a wonderfully musical amp!

Listening to the original sampler from The Absolute Sound (you can find it on Amazon - it's all space music from the Hearts of Space catalog)
with every track hand-picked by Harry Pearson, along with an explanation of why he picked each track and what you should listen for - to see how
revealing your system truly is...

Listening to my Audeze LCD3's, the Studio Six, MYTEK Stereo192-DSD DAC, and Oppo BDP-95 as transport - I'm hearing things I've never heard on
this album before - and I've owned this CD since 1994!!!!

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #30 of 86
Quote:
Hi, Mike

Do you have a chance to try the studio 6 (upgraded cap) with Bendix 6V6 tubes?

GREAT SHOT!! and great rig!!

I haven't experimented w/ many 6V6's yet to be brutally honest.  I have tube rolled a great deal with the 6SN7 though.  
I ended up loving this vintage RCA tube.  I also dug a vintage GE, and the guys outfitted me with a nice GE as well.

My review was published today in Positive Feedback btw, if you wanna check it out:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back