Studio Six - A Reference Headphone Amp from ALO Audio - Now Available!
Jun 26, 2013 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86
Hey guys we are happy to announce that Studio Six our new Reference Headphone Amplifier is now available for purchase on our new website

We've been hard at work to bring this amplifier to market now for over a year and it was a difficult but rewarding journey. The Studio Six is honestly breathtaking to listen to and we couldn't be more excited for it's release. 

Check out this video we put together and to learn more about all the details, measurements and specs check out www.aloaudio.com/studio-six

Cheers!

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jun 27, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 86
Four headphone outputs?

And what an odd way to list output specs... looks like it's roughly 4 ohm output impedance. (conservative estimate from the numbers, assuming no unusual trickery on the outputs)

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 86
Hey guys if you are interested in learning more about an approach to headphone measurements we think very insightful, you can read this great piece from Pete Millet on headphone and amplifier specs, power, voltage and dBSPL

http://www.apexhifi.com/specs.html

We think Pete is a great thinker on design and engineering and this article really does a good job shedding some light on the subject.

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jun 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 86
I'm currently using one of the Studio Six amplifiers from ALO's table at The Headphonium at T.H.E Show Newport!!

Thus far, listening to this amplifier with my Audeze LCD3's and Sennheiser HD800's is akin to some of my most cherished
listening experiences with the very best in high end (in-room) stereo systems - such as systems I heard while working at The Absolute Sound.

I am experiencing a level of connectedness to the music and fluidity in the soundstage that I have only experienced with my my E.A.R HP4
headphone amp (around $1,500 more).  The Studio Six has already forced my hand: I will be giving the unit a Writers Choice Award at Positive Feedback,

My review is in-process, but I did write a user review here at Head-Fi.

Every time I fire this single-ended triode amplifier up I get the CHILLS.

BRAVO ALO.
You just elevated the game.

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 86
Quote:
I'm currently using one of the Studio Six amplifiers from ALO's table at The Headphonium at T.H.E Show Newport!!

Thus far, listening to this amplifier with my Audeze LCD3's and Sennheiser HD800's is akin to some of my most cherished
listening experiences with the very best in high end (in-room) stereo systems - such as systems I heard while working at The Absolute Sound. I am experiencing a level of connectedness to the music and fluidity in the soundstage that I have only experienced with my my E.A.R HP4 headphone amp (around $1,500 more).  The Studio Six has already forced my hand: I will be giving the unit a Writers Choice Award at Positive Feedback,

My review is in-process, but I did write a user review here at Head-Fi.

Every time I fire this single-ended triode amplifier up I get the CHILLS.

BRAVO ALO.
You just elevated the game.

Any chance you could compare this amp to other TOTL headphone amps that are more popular among hobbyists on this site?  The Eddie Current Balancing Act or the Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass come to mind.  Not too many people on Head-Fi are familiar with the HP4, so saying the Studio Six beats it is not all that meaningful to most of us.

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #15 of 86
Quote:

Any chance you could compare this amp to other TOTL headphone amps that are more popular among hobbyists on this site?  The Eddie Current Balancing Act or the Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass come to mind.  Not too many people on Head-Fi are familiar with the HP4, so saying the Studio Six beats it is not all that meaningful to most of us.

I'm so sorry bout that.  Jude told me the E.A.R HP4 has a great reputation among high end headphone hobbyists.  I'll work out a way to review the Studio Six in at least 2 spots (like I did w/ my Audeze LCD3's - with the reviews aimed at different audiences).

I don't have experience with the Eddie Current or Cavalli - but I do have the Ray Samuels Darkstar and Burson Conductor.
Would comparisons to those work well you think? 

I don't usually compare products in my reviews, unless I'm using the exact system all-around on all components considered
(same wire leads, etc.).  Occasionally I make references to similar products, in order to give the reader what you are seeking: Common ground.

As components differ in philosophy, execution and musicality, I focus on the product I'm reviewing and it's own sonic merit.

However, this community is very important to me, so I'm always down to try new things when asked.

I will say this:

We recently had a serious headphone geek-out sesh, listening to Stax 009's and a Woo WES, along with the Studio Six and Audeze LCD3's and HD800's
(using my MYTEK Stereo192-DSD DAC/Amarra as source)
I can't think of another dynamic headphone rig I've experienced that gets that close to the magic of the 009/WES combo!!  It helped showcase just how musical
the Studio Six is!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back