Studio Six - A Reference Headphone Amp from ALO Audio - Now Available!
Feb 12, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #63 of 86
Bought the studio six today. One of those rare moments upon first listen when it was obvious I was in the presence of greatness. Like when I was sixteen and heard my Maggies driven by a hafler amp and empire turntable with Grado cartridge, or when I first listened to my Magico S5 speakers thru a Constellation Centaur amp. Magic. An immediate realization that the search is over. Greatness realized. Not an incremental step up, but a quantum leap. Whether thru my Audeze cans or my Beyerdynamic T1s - all other amps pale and fade away by comparison. Even the matching A1 amp for the T1s can't compete. And I never ever thought I would write those words. Can't wait to do a side by side comparison with my Pathos Aurium. The Studio Six blew away my Bryston BHA-1 and my Beyer A-1.

Complete grip. Nothing left on the table. Clarity in a totally musical manner. Energy delivered on every note and nuance. Performance of artists versus electronic rendition. And the bass. Oh the bass. So articulate and right. The mids and highs have a perfect foundation.

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #64 of 86
  HI Salevo,

The Studio Six works fantastic with the HE6 with plenty of volume and drive. I sold my AKG1000s but I know where I can get one to borrow, I will do this and report back. I am almost certain it will drive them just fine however but will get a pair to try.

Thanks

ken

I am planning on getting a Studio Six to drive the headphones in my signature below, but my primary concern would be the HE6, does the Studio Six just drive it in terms of volume or with plenty of dynamics reserve like how it would from a speaker amp or EF6 etc? 

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #66 of 86
Don't know if they still make it, I haven't seen it available as an option for months. May want to contact them to be sure though.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #67 of 86
Oh no! I have been saving for this beauty ever since it came out. But I cannot see her beauty in the silver version! I contacted the ALO Team, hopefully Ken will bring back my dream! 

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #68 of 86
  Oh no! I have been saving for this beauty ever since it came out. But I cannot see her beauty in the silver version! I contacted the ALO Team, hopefully Ken will bring back my dream! 

The Black version is discontinued?!?!?

I LOVE mine!

I am shocked to hear this!!!

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #69 of 86
  The Black version is discontinued?!?!?

I LOVE mine!

I am shocked to hear this!!!

No No. This is not confirmed. I mean maybe they ran out of "Dark Matter" for the black Studio Six :)

I will come back to you guys when I get a reply from Ken. I can see the LCD-XC on the pic. How good is the Studio-Six with these?

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #70 of 86
  No No. This is not confirmed. I mean maybe they ran out of "Dark Matter" for the black Studio Six :)

I will come back to you guys when I get a reply from Ken. I can see the LCD-XC on the pic. How good is the Studio-Six with these?

Thank God!!! 
biggrin.gif

I just wrote Ken and Caleb this weekend - was about to go NOOOOOOO! 

I really enjoy the LCD-X and XC on my S6!

Of course, I enjoy the LCD-2 and 3 w/ Fazor as well: There's just something about the synergy of the LCD-2 and 3 w/ Fazor (and my OG LCD-3) and the S6 that's so silky, so dynamically charged and alive, not to mention the super wide and deep sound-staging! But the textural quality is something I feel like I can reach out and touch. For lack of a better description at the moment: I'm referring to the sound that feels more live, more energized, warm AND light (as in sunlight).

BTW - the LCD-X has also proven to be my favorite studio monitoring cans when I work at my boys studio up here (Red House Studios) - and I usually bring my CEntrance HiFi-M8 with me, but I brought the S6 once as this ska band, Subject To Change, was fascinated when I told them about it. Well, I ended up not only hosting a 4-person listening sesh - but I ended up using the S6 (with Phillips 5AR4 & NOS RCA 6SN7 for a more linear response) for monitoring and it was terrific! It really helped me gage the bass weight and how to spatially place it in the mix! So I know why Grammy-Award winning Producer/Engineer Frank Filpetti LOVES his LCD-X (I'm proud to say I forced him to listen, and now he's HOOKED)!

As for the LCD-XC - even though its got far greater efficiency, I enjoy it with the Studio Six when I'm running my Mullard 5AR4 tube and Mullard 6SN7 - as that seems to warm things up a bit, which is the sound I like. It's not exaggerating anything, it just adds a touch of velvety-goodness over the mids. The XC's bass response is OFF THE CHARTS when I run it with the S6!!
Again, not bloated, nor veiled and thick, more hard-hitting, more precise when it comes to stand-up bass - or especially with wicked bass-playing, like bumpin' Fishbone! I can hear him standing there - like being at one of their shows. I love this combo - and can listen to it for hours on-end!

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #71 of 86
Mike, out of all your Audeze phones which one's do you enjoy the most with it, the X, XC, 2 or 3? I own the LCD-3F, but after reading all the good stuff about the X , I am really beginning to think that might be the one to get. Can't own both unfortunately, wife would kill me! But she wouldn't notice if I swapped the 3 for the X :wink:

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #72 of 86
Mike, out of all your Audeze phones which one's do you enjoy the most with it, the X, XC, 2 or 3? I own the LCD-3F, but after reading all the good stuff about the X , I am really beginning to think that might be the one to get. Can't own both unfortunately, wife would kill me! But she wouldn't notice if I swapped the 3 for the X
wink.gif

AH!

Great question Mr. Darko my friend!

IF I had to choose? Between em all, with regards to my favorite synergy with the S6?

I'd have to say, at the moment (and I say this because I've fallen in LOVE with these, far more than the first LCD-2):
My LCD-2 w/ Fazor via Double Helix Cables Complement2 cable by @scootermafia!

BUT: If you give me another week, I'll know if my new LCD-3 w/ Fazor catches up, as you know, those were my all-time favorite Audeze headphone - and, I got the new LCD-3 a few weeks ago, pink-noised it to 200 hours, and have been pumping music through it for a couple weeks now - and it's GAINING fast!! So I think it may stride past the new LCD-2.
Wanna wait and I'll give you a progress report??

I love the LCD-X - and it sounds great w/ the S6 (musical, dynamic, airy, silky smooth mids and lower midrange - kick ASS bass) - but I actually prefer the LCD-X on my Liquid Gold.

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #73 of 86
Mike,

Thanks for the reply's, you seem to be on fine tonight. I would love to hear your thoughts once the LCD-3F's get some more hours on them, I am still a bit torn between the Studio Six and the LAu, although from everything I've read I tend to think the S6 is the better fit for me personally, particularly with my LCD-3's being my main headphone. The consensus seems to be the the LAu is the more precise and dynamically alive amp, while the S6 is more relaxed and silky smooth which is the sound I am after.

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #74 of 86
I got a reply regarding the availibility of the S6 in Black (see below in the Quote). And as always the ALO team reply super quickly (this time in less than 2 hours)! You guys are awesome!

I still have to same more money to get my hands on this black Studio Six.

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for your e-mail. 
The Studio Six in black is estimated to be available at the beginning of August. Please check back in with us around then to see if it's available online for purchasing. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions and we'd gladly help. 

Best regards, 

Lily 

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #75 of 86
Mike,

Thanks for the reply's, you seem to be on fine tonight. I would love to hear your thoughts once the LCD-3F's get some more hours on them, I am still a bit torn between the Studio Six and the LAu, although from everything I've read I tend to think the S6 is the better fit for me personally, particularly with my LCD-3's being my main headphone. The consensus seems to be the the LAu is the more precise and dynamically alive amp, while the S6 is more relaxed and silky smooth which is the sound I am after.

Well, I'm with ya on the LCD3F + Studio Six marriage - splendid.
But, believe it or not - I tend to go for that sonic signature too (more relaxed and silky smooth) - BUT - I also love dynamic SLAM - and the LAu doesn't sound like ANY SS amp I've ever heard!
I also have to say something - so Tim DeParavicini came down to T.H.E Headphonium at Newport (Tim's really cool actually - despite what many peopls say) and, he wanted to here the LAu.
So he snuck in, didn't make a big deal or call attention to himself - AND - you know what he said (Re: his E.A.R HP4 tube amp that I LOVE): "That amp is the only one I've heard that's better than mine, not just musically, but its the most technologically advanced amp I've heard here, considering it's solid state"!

Dan Meinwald was BLOWN AWAY!
He said he never heard Tim say that about anything in 30 years!! 

So, YES, I'll totally report back to you once my new LCD-3Fs burn-in more!! Doin it RIGHT NOW!! 
biggrin.gif

and the S6 is stayin here too!

NOT leavin that spot!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back