Studio Audio Interfaces vs 'consumer' DACs
Nov 15, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #32 of 38
May I know the reason behind "Dont re-amp the the preamped signal"?

You are probably right, but I'd like to learn more about it

You're essentially taking a high level, and higher distortion output, and then feeding a low level input, which can potentially overload the input of the amp, in addition to the fact that you may be amp'ing an already distorted signal. Like anything else, gain matching is preferable whenever possible, but such a setup would make that rather difficult.

Then again, if the headphone out of the interface is really just a basic preamp output driven to higher levels, it could certainly work.

I'm not familiar with that interface, but I'm sure Presonus can help with the headphone output specs to ensure you're getting somewhat optimal matching. Besides, with cans like the 800s, would you really use anything less than ideal? :)

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #33 of 38
Understood.

I'm not rly a full diehard HiFi guy. The reason I was considering headphones like HD800 is I want to have a high-end headphone with good reputation and such, try to build a decent system for it that may not squeeze 100% out of the headphone (but still make decent sound), then just forget about the tech stuff. I had my Q701 for maybe 8-9 years already. Almost use it everyday from the beginning, had a lotta love for it, but it is slowly going downhill (rattling, comfort issue, etc).

I've also been considering to upgrade my interface. My Presonus card has all the good stuff, but recently it starts to have start-up issues. I also do not like it being USB powered.

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #34 of 38
Totally get it. As you get beyond a certain point in hifi, the improvements are truly incremental IMHO. So, I would suggest that if you like the sound of the 701s, perhaps just get a new pair, or buy replacement parts? The 800s are unlikely to sound like the signature of the 701s.

I agree with you on USB bus power, I'm not a fan, just for the fact that it seems to be a limited source for something that is very important, power. Add to this, the potential for poor regulation, etc. Who knows.

I think the direction you are headed with 300 Ohm cans is a good one, as you also want to ensure that the output impedance of the headphone amp is somewhat of an 1:8 ration. ie: amp imp =/< 40 Ohms if cans are 300 Ohms. Many Pro interfaces haev 10 Ohm outputs imps., so you would want at least an 80 Ohm headphone with that. More here: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

Nov 16, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #35 of 38
I can attest to audio interfaces making great DAC's for far cheaper than their audiophile counterparts. I had a Scarlett 2i2 for awhile and it was a very very good DAC. It did something special with the highs that I just loved. But like others have stated most of the amps in the audio interfaces suck for the most part. Now if you buy an audio interface with a preamp out or line out you can run a seperate amp and your good to go. The biggest thing with audio interfaces for me and the reason I don't use them anymore is having to use USB and drivers. Which are just a pain in the ass sometimes. Along with only being able to use them with your PC. You won't be able to use it in our living room or bedroom setup. Ultimately that's what detoured me to using audiophile gear. I prefer the ease of optical input and no drivers if possible. Plug and play whatever you want and enjoy, no fuss no muss.

Nov 18, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #36 of 38
Hi @TheLastZealot & @Xyrium,

Overall, there is nothing wrong with using the headout of any amp, especially USB interfaces, eg Focusrite Scarlett Series, Presonus Audiobox 22, to send the audio signal to a dedicated head amp as what @Xyrium is referring to or describing doesn't really make sense unless your orginal source is terrible in the first place as all a head amp does is ampify the base audio signal.

For example, in my own setup, I have several head amps connected to my Lexicon Alpha's head out via a splitter (only onem the RNHP, is considered a high powered amp & I did upgrade the power supply which makes it even more powerful but I digress) as well as another head amp, Presonus HP 4, which is connected via a monitor controller, Drawmer MC 2.1.
In this case, I also use the pass through on the HP 4 to send the audio signal to a another amp for passive speakers.
I have been using this setup for at least 3 years with no issues & regarding the interface head out to head amps for nearly 20 years.

In other words, @TheLastZealot, as long as your original audio signal isn't being overpowered or underpowered from an amp which doesn't have dedicated preout, eg head out direct to speakers or direct to &/amp for speakers, generally you should be okay or as the overall audio signal should be fairly stable throughout.

Hope this makes sense.

Hope you have a great day !

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #37 of 38
Thx for the great inputs! The reason I'm considering to get an headphone AMP for the headphone-out from my interface is because of the driving power. Currently my Audiobox 22 is capable of driving my Q701 (62 ohms) and IEMs fine, but I am afraid of it not be able to drive higher ohms headphones, such as HD800, which I plan to get.

Here is my current set up:
Mic and guitar go in at the front
USB connect to PC
Main Out: monitor speakers (ADAM T5V)
Headphone out: Q701, with no headphone AMP

Nov 18, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #38 of 38
Yep, absorb everyone's opinions and weigh your options. I'll repeat this in case someone else missed it, "it could certainly work".

The output impedance of the headphone output on your interface may play nicely with the input impedance of the amp that you buy. In fact, who knows, perhaps the output of that headphone connector on your Presonus is as clean as some folks are assuming, since you'll be reinjecting that signal back into another amplifier at a high level. These are a few reason why someone wouldn't do it, but it is possible. Buy an amp that you like and try it from headphone output. If it sounds like crud, split the preouts as mentioned and try it again.

For the HD800s, I see no reason why you would not optimize your chain. However, if you know you're getting the HD800s, why not just buy them and try it out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back