Struggling with upgrade
May 14, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #106 of 153
I bought Paganini Alfredo's Desktop Amp with Astrodyne PS.... WOWOWOWOW!!

I didn't like it with my RS-2's at first but after a slight run-in period... it friggin' ROCKS!! I love it!

I'm officially done for a while... the new forum layout is helping me stay away (I dont like it)

Thanks Paganini Alfredo!!

oh and, there is a significant improvement over my old Headroom Micro. The Desktop is PERFECT for me!!

May 14, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #107 of 153
Markkr,
Very good news.  I'm glad you like it and more importantly, that you found the improvement you were looking for.  

I too found the site's new look and feel to be a frustrating transition since I had to relearn some things.  I've managed to get it working for me and right now, I no longer use email notices since the Home Page lists recent activity in the threads to which I'm subscribed.  I can then easily go to the next unread message in each of the threads with recent activity.  There's also more control to the formatting of the page especially when large images are posted.  I appreciate that too.  But I know what you mean!!

Enjoy your amp, and the decision to stay away is a good one.  However, I don't know how long that will last. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 18, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #110 of 153

Quote:
So Aimlink what's your opinion so far concerning the HD800 vs. your Ultrasone?

They're two quite different cans.  I haven't really sat and compared them to any great extent.  One thing I do know is that I prefer the HD800.  It's more to my personal liking.  The Ed8's are different and less to my personal liking, but it's a great closed can .... don't get me at all wrong here.

May 19, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #112 of 153

Quote:
Cool thanks. Are you noticing any sibilance at all? Are they open and airy? Do they sound "fake"? How's the bass? Just wanting your opinion, sorry with all the questions. How do they do as an all rounder?

With the HD800s?

- no sibilance with them.

- I wouldn't say they sound open and airy.... those are just words anyway and others may choose to use them to describe what they're hearing.  I'd use the word 'spacious'.  There's a greater sense of space and the imaging incorporates this sense of space.  This is one of the strong points for me.

- they don't sound at all fake to me and quite the opposite really.  They sound quite natural.  The increased spaciousness coupled with great tonal balance and timbrel accuracy makes for a very natural sound to my ears.

- now, the bass.  I'm loving it.  It's very much there and features very well in music where it features well.  It's very controlled and at the same time, effortless when very deep and droning notes are required of it.  It's my first experience with bass that sounds so adequate, and yet, when I switch to the HD650's, the latter's bass sounds prominent.  I've never had that experience before and I'm still trying to explain this to myself.  There's clearly more to bass presentation that the clearly audible midbass thump.

- they make for great all-rounders.  They are easily my best pair of cans.  While I was thrilled with the Ed8's, the HD800's take things a considerable step further for me.  They are truly special.  

As always, I would disregard opinions garnered at meets and through short listening sessions.  Additionally, I think I'm benefitting from great amp synergy.
biggrin.gif
 To those who find the HR Desktop Amps too ugly for the asking price, it's their loss. 
wink.gif

May 19, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #114 of 153
MMM...perhaps i should get them also
bigsmile_face.gif
  in fact,I auditioned them once but it was a really short listen and on gear i don't know at all,but i am pretty sure it was not in the same level of the HR gear.    anyway,spacious is exactly the right word to descrive their sound,the soundstage image is superb from what i can recall.  I will probably audition them once more when i get the chance.
aimlink,your comments really make me wanna get those
normal_smile .gif

May 19, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #115 of 153
Plonter,

I'm not kidding you when I say that I've found this $1400 spend to be one of my more satisfying ones.  The returns have been worth it.

Be careful though.  You seem to like a more prominent bass than I do.  For this reason, the T1's should be a strong contender for you.  The T1's apparently offer similar clarity and space, but with a bit more prominent bass presentation.

I personally went for the HD800's when I found myself coming full circle back to a more balanced sound. HD650 to D5000's to SR325is to RS2i to Ed8's to K702's to HD650's to HD600's.  It's when I got the HD600's, I realized the sound that I genuinely preferred.  I suspected my preference when I found that I really liked the K702's, despite their at times, strident treble and anaemic bass with some recordings.  This is why I went for the HD800's instead of the T1's.  Even then, I've been impressed with the HD800's bass.  I didn't expect it to be this satisfying. ATM, there's really little sonic fault I can find in the HD800's.  Instead, it's busy taking me to another level.  I've really been taken by the clarity despite the absence of harshness.  I've thrown all my difficult recordings at it and it plays them well without harshness.  Very special indeed. :)

The Ed8's make for a great alternative in sound balance and presentation as well as it being a closed model.

Get them only if you can afford.  I was listening to my HD650's the other night and still enjoy them.  They're great cans.  My HD600's are still in my office.... wonderful as well.  It's just that the HD800's are so special.  A real breakthrough in sound, IMO.  Not a night and day experience compared to the HD600's, but it adds that much more to make it a breakthrough IMO.  It's not easy to improve on what's already so good and Sennheiser have, to my ears, actually pulled it off.

May 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #117 of 153
AH yeah...totally forgot about the T1
redface.gif
   as i got a little tired also from a bass heavy/recessed mids kind of presentation i am in the search for a more balanced sound.   i listen to my RS1 for 3 days in a row just to get used to the lack of bass
wink_face.gif
    the  HD800/T1 will probably sound bass heavy compare to the RS1.   having the headroom gear is a good thing since we don't need to worry about amplification with any dynamic headphone.

By the way,lately i improved the electricity architechture in my room and the ultra micro sound a tiny bit better now,warmer.

May 19, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #118 of 153

Quote:
AH yeah...totally forgot about the T1
redface.gif
   as i got a little tired also from a bass heavy/recessed mids kind of presentation i am in the search for a more balanced sound.   i listen to my RS1 for 3 days in a row just to get used to the lack of bass
wink_face.gif
    the  HD800/T1 will probably sound bass heavy compare to the RS1.   having the headroom gear is a good thing since we don't need to worry about amplification with any dynamic headphone.

By the way,lately i improved the electricity architechture in my room and the ultra micro sound a tiny bit better now,warmer.

Do you actually find the RS1's to be bass light??  That's concerning.  I recommend trying the HD600's.  If you can't manage their bass response, then I'd recommend steering  clear of the HD800's.  Skylab has a taste for sound that's very reliably and consistently expressed.  He prefers the T1's to the HD800's based primarily on the difference in bass response.  He does seem to prefer a bass weighted presentation.

I'm flexible in that I'd be listening to the HD800's and know that I've listened to and enjoyed a more bass heavy sound as with the Ed8's, but given the choice, I prefer its balance.  I don't know how flexible you are in that regard as well. 

May 19, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #119 of 153
Do i find the RS1 bass light..well,aren't you?  ofcourse they have a great punch due to a very upper midbass pick ,but they lacking some serious low midbass and low bass.  I find them very appropriate and fun for some genres/recordings,but I will ever even try to listen to electronica with them...my ears start to hurt only from thinking about it.
maybe some RS1 variants/models are bassier than mine,that's a possibility.

May 19, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #120 of 153

Quote:
Do i find the RS1 bass light..well,aren't you?  ofcourse they have a great punch due to a very upper midbass pick ,but they lacking some serious low midbass and low bass.  I find them very appropriate and fun for some genres/recordings,but I will ever even try to listen to electronica with them...my ears start to hurt only from thinking about it.
maybe some RS1 variants/models are bassier than mine,that's a possibility.

I don't find the RS2i's to be lacking in bass at all and I've heard that the RS1's are a bit more bassy.  I agree with you that their subbass performance is lacking.

One thing I failed to mention about the HD800's - the detail retrieval is stunning.  There are details that they will readily present to you in that you don't have to specifically listen for, that's not easily heard or are inaudible on my other cans.  The Ed8's and HD600's are close but not as good as they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back