Struggling with upgrade
Jun 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #136 of 153

Quote:
Well I might just have to eat my own words about returning the HD800s. I was messing around with the treble on my EQ and lowered it, now I'm really liking these. I'll have to listen to them for another week or so to really decide what I'm gonna do with them. Do you guys ever use EQ on your cans? I used to be opposed to the idea but its really the only way I'll keep my new Senns.

Just curious, what EQ are you using? iTunes?

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #138 of 153

Quote:

What music are you listening to with them?

I'm happy that you're giving them an extended chance.  They definitely deserve it.  I expect that with time, you'll find that you don't need to EQ them.  I think the Cardas cable makes a difference too in making the sound more full bodied and dynamic.

I'm now listening to Cusco's Apurimac III.  Wonderful stuff.  These cans are coming of age now and are definitely my favourites.  I've never heard Cusco sound this good.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #139 of 153
Mostly rock... well all rock to be honest. Beatles, Zep, Deep Purple, etc. I think Deep Purple's Machine Head is one of the most sibilant recordings I own. Even with the treble reduced it still grates on the ears
frown.gif
Such a shame cause I love me some Deep Purple. Yeah it was really funny, for some reason I was getting ready to pack them up and ship them back to Headroom and I just thought, "Why am I not giving them a proper chance?" I think my initial impressions are pretty solid and I've found that headphones (in the past) haven't much changed much with burn in. So I thought I'd play around with the treble on the EQ and it was like "ahhhhh" Now they sound awesome 
L3000.gif
  Don't think I told you guys but I did get a Cardas cable for my 650s and noticed a definite improvement.

Cusco? Never heard of him, what kind of music is that?

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #140 of 153
^
Cusco is sort of ambient, new age, world-type music.  The album artwork for one of my favourite Cusco albums says it all.'

I haven't been listening to much rock with the HD800's and this may well be why we have differing impressions.  For rock I use the HD650's or Ed8's.  I haven't been inclined to use the HD800's for rock... not yet anyway.  OTOH, for what I've been using the HD800's, it's now gotten top spot, hands down. 

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #144 of 153
I'm really going back and forth between these two cans... yesterday I was all for the HD800 and all of a sudden I got sick of it and now am listening to the 650 and loving it even more. The treble was getting to me to be honest, even with it reduced it was just hurting my ears. Just have to give them a break
biggrin.gif

Hey Aimlink, what gain and brightness level do you use your 650s with? I'm using high gain and filter 2 (brightness). I LOVE the filter 2 sound, it opens up the high end and is just so wonderfully non fatiguing or harsh.

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #145 of 153

Quote:
I'm really going back and forth between these two cans... yesterday I was all for the HD800 and all of a sudden I got sick of it and now am listening to the 650 and loving it even more. The treble was getting to me to be honest, even with it reduced it was just hurting my ears. Just have to give them a break
biggrin.gif

Hey Aimlink, what gain and brightness level do you use your 650s with? I'm using high gain and filter 2 (brightness). I LOVE the filter 2 sound, it opens up the high end and is just so wonderfully non fatiguing or harsh.

I use my HD650's with no filters enabled.  I don't wish for any added treble to the HD650 sound.  I use medium gain on the amp.  I use the same settings for the HD800's, i.e., no crossfeed or filters.

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #146 of 153

Quote:
I use my HD650's with no filters enabled.  I don't wish for any added treble to the HD650 sound.  I use medium gain on the amp.  I use the same settings for the HD800's, i.e., no crossfeed or filters.

Just now, I realized that if I could be listening to the HD650's as I've been doing for the last couple days, then the crossfeed feature should work well with the HD800's.  I am right... so far, so darned good!!

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #147 of 153
I HAVE to have crossfeed on. I've turned off the brightness filter for a bit and I guess once you get used to either sound you really don't notice a difference anyways unless the treble starts bothering you. I had to send my poor ex-HD800s back to HeadRoom, alas they just weren't meant to be. If and when Sennheiser makes an HD850 with a darker tone then I will be first in line, but again, until then. Everything else about them was good though.

Jun 10, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #148 of 153
I personally didn't like crossfeed with any ofm y headphones.  it was ecceptable with the RS1 but not more.   i found crosfeed to make the sound muddy and cut off the high frequencies too much.

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #149 of 153

Quote:
I personally didn't like crossfeed with any ofm y headphones.  it was ecceptable with the RS1 but not more.   i found crosfeed to make the sound muddy and cut off the high frequencies too much.

I had not been using it for some time.  I can't use it with the Ed8's or HD650's for the same reasons you don't.  The HeadRoom desktop amps do feature a filter switch that enhances the highs to offset the effect of the crossfeed.  However, I can't say that I like the effect of the filters and crossfeed together.

Could never use it with the D5000's. 
blink.gif

However, with the HD800's, it's groovy.  Same for the HD600's.

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #150 of 153
Holy crap guys, I totally just had a eureka moment!!! I've always had a turntable (even if it was just a cheapo one) that I haven't really used cause I don't have a speaker setup of any kind. Well all of a sudden I was sitting here listening to music and *cue light bulb* POOF!!! I can hook this badboy up through my Ultra desktop! And it sounds great (if a little scratchy/poppy)! I KNEW there was a reason I've felt compelled to buy vinyl every now and again... well it was mainly cause later I intended to buy proper loudspeakers and vinyl setup. But this works out perfect.

Thanks Head Room!
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back