Struggling with upgrade
Apr 20, 2010 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 153

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been toiling over whether or not I should replace/upgrade my MicroAmp with a current model. I hate the line input being on the front of the amp but that seems like a stupid reason to get a new one. If I knew for sure that the new one sounded better it would make the decision easier

OR

Sell my '05 MicroAmp and '09 MicroDac and get a new Headroom Desktop.

What do you think?

(I know there are other threads, I've read them but somehow it makes me feel better to start my own
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 153
just the regular Desktop, the Ultra is WAY out of my budget

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 153
If that's the case, then I'd definitely be reluctant suggesting an upgrade to the regular desktop.

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 153
<sigh> there is NO way I could hold onto that kinda cash for that long. I'd be $1000 into saving and would buy something else <zero self control>

I wish HR still made the Ultra Micro!!!

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 153
You could always try the used forums.

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseCanJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always try the used forums.

sadly... I watch the FS forums more than the regular ones
frown.gif

I don't see much Headroom stuff go up for sale, I believe because it lasts forever and people keep it!

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 153
I may be biased but I think the new Micro Amp sounds a fair amount better than the '05 version. The '05 Desktop Module used 5002 intersil output buffers whereas the new Micro amp has a full class A diamond buffered output stage which hasn't been compromised to conserve battery life like the 05 micro's were due to their 9V battery option. The result in my opinion is a much smoother, dynamic and natural sound.

And, the inputs, two of them, are on the back. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 153
Thanks Jamey.

Any chance of an Ultra Micro coming back to your product lineup?

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Jamey.

Any chance of an Ultra Micro coming back to your product lineup?

Sorry I sold the Ultra Micro stack a few months ago, otherwise I can help you. But I agree wit Plonter, go save some money for the Ultra Desktop amp, you won't be regreted. If you have hard time saving, that I can help. Just send the money to me and I'll keep it for you until you have enough for the UDA
ksc75smile.gif
k701smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #14 of 153
don't wanna be an ass...but i'm sure glad i got an ultra micro stack
bigsmile_face.gif
I will hold it and never let it go!
anyway,if i had enough money and wasn't such a noob at that time.I would definitely get the ultra desktop and get it over with. it is a lot more comfortable,all things are in one package+you get full size connector together with a 3.5 connector as well which will save me the use of an adapter for my headphones. also,it's got a full size coax input in the back so i would use a coax instead of optical that i use now with my ultra's.

I think that if one have the ultra desktop he don't need to look back anymore,
I know I wouldn't.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #15 of 153
HA, no worries. Its funny, I think the only thing holding me back about upgrading is I'd have to wait two weeks to send in and upgrade my amp, and I just simply don't want to wait that long! Plus I'm having a hard time convincing myself that an Ultra would sound 900 bucks better... Anyone around here that can testify to that, having heard a regular desktop to an ultra?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back