Struggling with upgrade
Apr 25, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #16 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paganini Alfredo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HA, no worries. Its funny, I think the only thing holding me back about upgrading is I'd have to wait two weeks to send in and upgrade my amp, and I just simply don't want to wait that long! Plus I'm having a hard time convincing myself that an Ultra would sound 900 bucks better... Anyone around here that can testify to that, having heard a regular desktop to an ultra?

I know what you mean..if somebody will take the ultra stack from me for two weeks i will be probably end in a mental institute!
biggrin.gif

paganini...what amp are you currently using? what are your headphones?
I didn't heard any headroom amp except the ultra micro (and the airhead) so i can't say about the differences between the desktops. I am 100% positive that it is there,but if it is 900$ worth that is totally up to you.

in this levels of sound (which I consider headroom as a top notch) we pay a lot for a rather small improvements...that's they way HI-FI works. I can tell you this,the difference between the regular desktop and the ultra will not be as going from a portable amp to a full size desktop (the difference between the airhead and the ultra micro's is HUGE) that's for sure, it is all about refinement really.
but it is one more step to sound heaven,and everyone to himself decide if it's worth the money.
for me it would definitely worth it.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #17 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that if one have the ultra desktop he don't need to look back anymore,
I know I wouldn't.

You don't look back... you look forwards.

I'm now contemplating pairing the UDDAC with an SPL Auditor. I don't wish to go balanced.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #18 of 153
Quote:

I know what you mean..if somebody will take the ultra stack from me for two weeks i will be probably end in a mental institute!
biggrin.gif

paganini...what amp are you currently using? what are your headphones?
I didn't heard any headroom amp except the ultra micro (and the airhead) so i can't say about the differences between the desktops. I am 100% positive that it is there,but if it is 900$ worth that is totally up to you.

in this levels of sound (which I consider headroom as a top notch) we pay a lot for a rather small improvements...that's they way HI-FI works. I can tell you this,the difference between the regular desktop and the ultra will not be as going from a portable amp to a full size desktop (the difference between the airhead and the ultra micro's is HUGE) that's for sure, it is all about refinement really.
but it is one more step to sound heaven,and everyone to himself decide if it's worth the money.
for me it would definitely worth it.

I have the regular desktop amp/dac with a DPS, listening with the Senn HD650. The sound I'm getting from these cans is just absolutely perfect for my tastes, couldn't be happier. Thing is I've only had this amp for like two months!

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #19 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't look back... you look forwards.

I'm now contemplating pairing the UDDAC with an SPL Auditor. I don't wish to go balanced.

right. I considered to go balance once but reading others comments and reviews about balance operation +lack of cash got me to stay single ended, and I decided that the price difference will probably not be worth for me.
I can get more headphones in that money.

Quote:

I have the regular desktop amp/dac with a DPS, listening with the Senn HD650. The sound I'm getting from these cans is just absolutely perfect for my tastes, couldn't be happier. Thing is I've only had this amp for like two months!

seems you got a hell of a setup, I would not rush to upgrade it too fast.
but the curiosity kills us...doesn't it? also the want for a better sound....damn head-fi!
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #20 of 153
Quote:

^^^ What headphones do you find synergize best with your Ultra stack Jalo? How do you like it next to your other amps?

The Ultra Stack is very good with my HD600, ESW10, ALO780 etc. I sold it to get the BUDA/UDAC/DPS triple and of course they are better than the Ultra stack.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #21 of 153
Quote:

don't wanna be an ass...but i'm sure glad i got an ultra micro stack
bigsmile_face.gif
I will hold it and never let it go!

You are not, and I agree with you that the Ultra Micro stack from headroom has the best price value ratio. I really don't mind keeping the ultra Micro Amp except that I wanted to buy the new Ultra Dac and the Buda just match the UDAC better in terms of size. I don't think the UDA is that much of an upgrade from the Ultra Micro Amp, but the BUDA is more of a real upgrade.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #22 of 153
Quote:

right. I considered to go balance once but reading others comments and reviews about balance operation +lack of cash got me to stay single ended, and I decided that the price difference will probably not be worth for me.
I can get more headphones in that money.

You probably will hate me for saying this but then you'll thank me after you've done it. The BUDA is really fun and nice. I don't think its worth the upgrade from Ultra Micro Amp to UDA. I think the improvement is like less than 5%. But the BUDA is much different, smoother, rounded, more dynamic than the UDA/Ultra Micro Amp. The next thing you need to upgrade is the UDAC. Much better than the Ultra Micro DAC.
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #23 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably will hate me for saying this but then you'll thank me after you've done it. The BUDA is really fun and nice. I don't think its worth the upgrade from Ultra Micro Amp to UDA. I think the improvement is like less than 5%. But the BUDA is much different, smoother, rounded, more dynamic than the UDA/Ultra Micro Amp. The next thing you need to upgrade is the UDAC. Much better than the Ultra Micro DAC.
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

thanks for the comments. so the BUDA is that good? I guess the sound differences you hear is thanks to the balanced operation because the buda and the ultra micro share the same electronics. I think i need to hear it for myself someday to hear the difference. that's amount of money i don't want to spend without listening for myself first.

I am also very curious about the udac. but I want to audition it with my current setup to really hear the difference.
I agree that the ultra desktop will not be a worthy upgrade to the ultra micro because they also share the same electronics,but the OP has the regular micros so that's is probably a worthwile upgrade..don't you think?

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #24 of 153
Quote:

seems you got a hell of a setup, I would not rush to upgrade it too fast.
but the curiosity kills us...doesn't it? also the want for a better sound....damn head-fi!
bigsmile_face.gif

I forgot to add my evil smiley in my last message about looking forward and not back.
very_evil_smiley.gif

These cans and amps aren't going anywhere and they're improving them as the prices come down. I'll be waiting for a while before I try something else.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #25 of 153
I think one of you guys with an Ultra Micro Stack or Ultra Desktop DEFINITELY need to update to the BUDA setup... (and sell me your old single ended Ultra really cheap!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #26 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think one of you guys with an Ultra Micro Stack or Ultra Desktop DEFINITELY need to update to the BUDA setup... (and sell me your old single ended Ultra really cheap!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

markkr,you will be the first on my list if/when i will upgrade.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #27 of 153
Quote:

markkr,you will be the first on my list if/when i will upgrade.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #28 of 153
Quote:

thanks for the comments. so the BUDA is that good? I guess the sound differences you hear is thanks to the balanced operation because the buda and the ultra micro share the same electronics. I think i need to hear it for myself someday to hear the difference. that's amount of money i don't want to spend without listening for myself first.

I am also very curious about the udac. but I want to audition it with my current setup to really hear the difference.
I agree that the ultra desktop will not be a worthy upgrade to the ultra micro because they also share the same electronics,but the OP has the regular micros so that's is probably a worthwile upgrade..don't you think?

Well, you know Headroom return policy. You can always try it out before making that decision. I do think the Buda and UDAC are clearly better than their predecessor by a noticeable amount.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #29 of 153
Quote:

Well, you know Headroom return policy. You can always try it out before making that decision. I do think the Buda and UDAC are clearly better than their predecessor by a noticeable amount.

I am afraid that I WILL like it
biggrin.gif

also,I am in a "bang for the buck" thing now..buying some nice cheapos,very impressive so far.

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #30 of 153
Quote:

Moving from the desktop to the ultra desktop made for a noticeable difference. Improvement? I've been faltering where my opinion of the added value is concerned when compared to the actual cost. There seems to be more clarity for sure, but the house sound remains which is what I'm primarily interested in.

I think I'd rather go for a different sound than move further up the HeadRoom amp ladder. I'll likely stick with their DAC though. Of course, I may change my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back