Struggling between Philips Fidelio X1 and AKG K712 Pro. Any Ideas?
Oct 10, 2013 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TitaniteXtreme

New Head-Fier
I am not an Audiophile, but I am serious about my music, I hope I can own a good headphones to enjoy music. I love bass, currently I am choosing between Fidelio X1 and K712 Pro, which is within my budget. Any advices will be very welcome~~

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 14
Might be helpful to know what sources are the headphones going to be plugged into?
(DAC & amp?)

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 14
  I am planning to use a Fiio E17. I am also consider buying Audinst HUD-MX2. It is an entry level dac amp, which I think it fits my budget and needs.

Did you figure out what you'll be buying?

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 14
  Did you figure out what you'll be buying?

I bought the Fiio E17 and AKG K712 Pro. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 14

Oh oh how are they!! Do you find the bass adequate? Any sibilance? 

I think is quite nice, so far very satisfied with it. 

This is a balance sounding headphone, so I think the bass is just nice, not too strong, not too weak. But if you compared to bass heavy headphones (such as Sony XB500 I am using), it definitely have less impact.

So far I didn't notice any sibilance. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 14

I think is quite nice, so far very satisfied with it. 

This is a balance sounding headphone, so I think the bass is just nice, not too strong, not too weak. But if you compared to bass heavy headphones (such as Sony XB500 I am using), it definitely have less impact.

So far I didn't notice any sibilance. 
wink_face.gif

One last question!! Would you consider these intimate sounding or thick sounding?

Nov 3, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #9 of 14

One last question!! Would you consider these intimate sounding or thick sounding?

K712 is a balance sounding headphone, with emphasis on the mid range. One reason I bought K712 is because personally I like mid-emphasize headphones. The mid range of this headphone will sound more intimate.

It is not thick sounding, instead it sounds very airy.

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #10 of 14

K712 is a balance sounding headphone, with emphasis on the mid range. One reason I bought K712 is because personally I like mid-emphasize headphones. The mid range of this headphone will sound more intimate.

It is not thick sounding, instead it sounds very airy.

Thanks!! I'm looking at this and the newly released Shure SRH1540… yes I know it's a closed back. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #12 of 14

That Shure SRH1540 with a carbon fibre design does looks very sexy~ 
biggrin.gif
 One thing I like about closed back headphones is that I think their bass impact and slam is slightly better than open back headphones. 
basshead.gif

I think it's just me but I find the design of the SRH1840 more stylish… seems to exude more class. I'm pretty sure they're 'gonna be heavier in the bass but from earlier reviews, they seem to be recognized as more "Hi-Fi" than the 1840.

Nov 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #13 of 14

I think it's just me but I find the design of the SRH1840 more stylish… seems to exude more class. I'm pretty sure they're 'gonna be heavier in the bass but from earlier reviews, they seem to be recognized as more "Hi-Fi" than the 1840.

Ya, I agree with you, I think that the SRH1840 do looks more professional to me.

Sep 1, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #14 of 14
I was stuck with same issue, X1 or 712, I went for 712, will land tomorrow.

I needed cans for gaming/music/movies, did hear these are a good all round set, gamers praise them, and the little added bass makes them a little more fun, not as harsh as say 701.

Just need a good amp now, optical input, running off usb power would help.

As for now they will run on a Asus Xonar U7 external sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back