Story of a noob (me) going from mainstream headphones to ones of actual quality.
Aug 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

farhan

New Head-Fier
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I just wanted to share my story. For years I had been going through headphones, and being a bass head, I always went for the ones like Skullcandy Hesh and Skullcrushers and Beats etc., etc. But all my headphones were either too uncomfortable or would break easily or just look cheap or were too "cool" looking for my taste. So after spending hundreds of dollars on mainstream headphones, I stumbled upon head-fi and some other resources that directed me towards Sony MDR-V6. And I just got my V6s in the mail today. I put them on and couldn't believe how comfortable they were. Then I played (on my iPad) a few soundtracks and a clip that started with a "boom" sound and I was blown away! I was just thinking "WHY DIDN'T I FIND THESE HEADPHONES YEARS AGO?!" Then I put on the Beyerdynamic EDT 250 pads and was blown away by even MORE comfort.

The bass isn't as strong as some headphones I had before, but I can FEEL that it is leaps and bound better, quality wise. I cannot describe how much I like these and how much better they are than any others I own. I'm so happy!! :)

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 12
Welcome farhan. I'm happy for you, I'm sure everyone here can relate. When I went from the plethora of iPod earbuds to some AT cans a couple of years ago I realized the difference lol.

It is a fun but dangerously addictive hobby. Some self control is definitely required. :wink:
I'll leave you to rediscover your music..

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 12
Welcome to the club of people who cares about sound quality 
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks, guys. It's good to be here. Haha. I have to admit that I have much to learn. For example, I don't even know what the "AT" headphones are that you're referring to. Not sure what IEM means either, but see that term being used a lot here at head-fi :p

Looking forward to rediscovering my collection. It's mostly trance/house and film/video game soundtracks.

And oh yes, I totally understand the addiction.

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 12
Hehe, welcome to Head-Fi.  I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, with having spent way too much time listening to music without really putting thought into the headphones I was using, and recently discovering this place.  Discovering I'm a little bit of a basshead myself, I got the Sony MDR-XB500 within this past week, and god that's some lovely thump behind it.  I'm going to guess the AT headphones are referring to Audio Technica.

Oh yeah, JIC someone hasn't said it yet, we apologize for what's probably about to happen to your wallet.

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 12
Aha, thanks for explaining to me what those meant.

And Saoshyant, it's interesting that You bring up the XB500s because for me it was between that and the V6. Will probably end up getting those sometime in the future, though.

In regards to my wallet... My wallet is already a bit lonely because of my other expensive hobby (telescopes). Haha. But I guess it'll work out great if I combine headphones with my star gazing, eh'?

Going through my collection right now. 320kbps from beatport.com among other things. I can't quiet describe it, but the music doesn't seem as "loud" or thumping, it's softer and yet more clear and more defined and ultimately more satisfying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back