Stop me, please.
Jul 29, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't stop, until you hit the top end IEMs or custom IEMs. There will no more upgrade after that.
smily_headphones1.gif

OOo.. don't forget to by a good DAC/AMP too...

There is ALWAYS another shiny bauble right around the corner...

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't stop, until you hit the top end IEMs or custom IEMs. There will no more upgrade after that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Until someone releases something better and even more high-end.

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, the sensible thing to do is to shoot for the top right away and get a cheap IEM for backup if you need it. Think W3/UM3X/IE8/SE530/TF10 etc (or even JH-13 PRO if you can afford it) and NE-7M/RE0/PFE(although i would avoid them until Phonak comes out with their PFEs made with new materials as the first edition is prone to defects)/that new JVC wooden IEM and whatever low price bang for buck IEM you fancy.
Personally I don't have the money to to so, mainly because I bought IEMs with the money I had at the time instead of living with iBuds for another month or two and getting a high end IEM. Mind you, the W3/IE8 etc were going for high prices (in relation to now) back then.
So what I did do was use my IEMs for portables (spectacular SQ not needed) and full sized cans for home listening and real sound quality, as you get higher SQ for your money with fullsized cans.
Anyways, thats my Head-Fi story so far.
Next on the list is a DIY Millet Starving Student and a DAC. Oh the things head-fi does to your mind...

hmmm this is arguable in a couple of ways. I myself find that SQ is indeed noticeable portable, portable doesnt always mean riding the subway you know. also the JH|13 (on their way to me shortly) are seemingly rewriting that rule as we speak. many older members are selling their fullsize gear or at least not listening to it anymore since getting JH|13. they also dont NEED a really expensive amp, source and cables to sound that way. source always helps, as does cables IMO, but whether the JH|13 actually NEED topshelf amplification is yet to be seen. so in these ways its actually cheaper

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I went and bought the Quads and have about $4k into the still unfinished Orions. (I'm getting there.)

Building your own Orions? <massive envy!> That is a project on my horizon some day.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Building your own Orions? <massive envy!> That is a project on my horizon some day.

Yep. I've got everything, but I'm in a dilemma over the cabinets. There's a big stick of Purpleheart in the garage I've had for a few years. It would make for a nice cabinet. However, I'm pressed for time, so finishing them might take 6-12 months. The other option is to spend another $2k to have them built. I'm leaning towards just ordering them. That would free up time this summer to build a couple more amps and refurbish the Quads.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm this is arguable in a couple of ways. I myself find that SQ is indeed noticeable portable, portable doesnt always mean riding the subway you know. also the JH|13 (on their way to me shortly) are seemingly rewriting that rule as we speak. many older members are selling their fullsize gear or at least not listening to it anymore since getting JH|13. they also dont NEED a really expensive amp, source and cables to sound that way. source always helps, as does cables IMO, but whether the JH|13 actually NEED topshelf amplification is yet to be seen. so in these ways its actually cheaper

I agree with you, SQ is noticeable portably, just personally I find myself not focusing on the music enough to need the detail in portable scenarios.
And yes, it looks like the JH-13 really is changing the game, this should be interesting to watch unfold and to see its soon to follow competition.
More so what I meant by the cans vs IEMs thing is stuff like the ksc-75 (bad example as it is a portable) costing what it does compared to some more expensive IEMs and even showing them up. If some $15 can can sound as good or better than my atrios that I paid $100 for, that says something in my eyes.
Mind you, I have yet to hear the ksc-75 but did pick up a pair of JVC Flats which are slightly inferior, and they come close enough to my atrios that I would expect the ksc-75 to best them.
Anyways, everything I said is in my opinion. Reality may differ, thats what head-fi can do to you. It messes with you every which way it can. Only some of us are strong enough to stop it.

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stop...

no...

don't....

LOL

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I read that as Onions
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm still a little freaked out by the JH13s, and agree completely that they're rewriting the rules, or at least majorly altering both my listening habits and rethinking my current gear stash.

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

PFE(although i would avoid them until Phonak comes out with their PFEs made with new materials as the first edition is prone to defects)

I recieved an eMail a couple days ago about a cable "issue" with them and was told to hold off sending them in for a cable replacement as the NEW cables are due out in September. OH, and they'll be a tad LONGER, Yay!! VERY welcome news.

Quote:

that new JVC wooden IEM

You MUST mean the Victor HP-FX500, after bingeing on IEM's these past 2 years or so, I have to say, these are my favorite IEM's... BY FAR!!

Actually, If I had to rate my "inventory" or IEMs, they'd go like this:

1) Victor HP-FX500 w/ de-tubed COMPLY P-Series Foam Tips

2) Phonak Audeo PFE (122) w/ COMPLY P-Series Foam Tips

3) etymotic ER*4-P w/ Phonak Audeo Silicone Tips Small

4) Sleek Audio SA-6 w/ COMPLY P-Series Foam Tips

5) JVC HA-FX300R w/ V-MODA BLISS Silicone Tips Large

6) Altec-Lansing MHP136 MUSX w/ COMPLY T-400 Foam Tips

7) V-MODA Bass Freq w/ V-MODA BLISS Silicone Tips Large

(I wonder where the RE0 [caught the summer $99.00 sale!!] and the Brainwavz Beta's will fall in MY lineup...)

I STILL WANT to start checking out FULL SIZED cans too... UGH will it EVER STOP??

Sure I guess when I close my and pray the headphone addiction all away!! LOLZ!

Aug 12, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Insanity is going to be the end result of this hobby. Might as well have an abundance of headphones to keep you company.

THANKS for that... I FEEL BETTER now! LOL!

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #29 of 31
lol...u can only stop if u stopped visiting this forum
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #30 of 31
all IEMs suck... and all full sized headphones sound pretty much like ibuds... so there's really no use in coming back here!

in real advice, just know that the most expensive gear wont always sound the best in your ears. there are lots of people that stepped down from high end audio to settle with mid-fi gear and are living happily ever after!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back