Stop me, please.
Jul 29, 2009 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Scott549

100+ Head-Fier
I do not need any more IEMs at the moment. I have the Klipsch X5's, which I like a lot. I have Yuin PK2's, which I also use fairly often and like. I have the Head-Direct RE2's, which don't get much use lately because the X5's are just better. I have the PK3's as a backup to the PK2's.

I'm still intrigued by some of the phones I read about a lot on this site -- Phonak Audeo, RE0 at the sale price, and Nuforce NE-7M. Should I just forget about it, or should I be trying one of these?

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 31
Ugh, I know exactly how you feel right now. A few nights ago, I pulled the trigger on a Shure SRH840, even though I don't need them (but I may anyway because of college atmosphere). And I still dream about my old pair of UE triple.fi 10 Pro, even though I have a great pair of Shure SE530s to keep me occupied.

And now I'm getting ready to head into Speakerland. Woe is my wallet (and Paypal account).
frown.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 31
You know, the sensible thing to do is to shoot for the top right away and get a cheap IEM for backup if you need it. Think W3/UM3X/IE8/SE530/TF10 etc (or even JH-13 PRO if you can afford it) and NE-7M/RE0/PFE(although i would avoid them until Phonak comes out with their PFEs made with new materials as the first edition is prone to defects)/that new JVC wooden IEM and whatever low price bang for buck IEM you fancy.
Personally I don't have the money to to so, mainly because I bought IEMs with the money I had at the time instead of living with iBuds for another month or two and getting a high end IEM. Mind you, the W3/IE8 etc were going for high prices (in relation to now) back then.
So what I did do was use my IEMs for portables (spectacular SQ not needed) and full sized cans for home listening and real sound quality, as you get higher SQ for your money with fullsized cans.
Anyways, thats my Head-Fi story so far.
Next on the list is a DIY Millet Starving Student and a DAC. Oh the things head-fi does to your mind...

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 31
If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably go for the W3 or UM3X. But I like the X5's enough that I don't think I really need to take it to the top level.

It's funny because I don't have the same desire to upgrade and/or sample other models with speakers or regular headphones. I am perfectly happy with my Grado SR-60 headphones.

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And now I'm getting ready to head into Speakerland. Woe is my wallet (and Paypal account).
frown.gif

You have no idea of the pain and suffering involved.

Earlier this year, I thought that the new headphones had overstepped on price. So I went and bought the Quads and have about $4k into the still unfinished Orions. (I'm getting there.)

Then I went and bought the HD-800 anyway.

Be careful out there.
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have no idea of the pain and suffering involved.

Earlier this year, I thought that the new headphones had overstepped on price. So I went and bought the Quads and have about $4k into the still unfinished Orions. (I'm getting there.)

Then I went and bought the HD-800 anyway.

Be careful out there.
biggrin.gif

Heh, darned if you do, and darned if you don't.
tongue.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, darned if you do, and darned if you don't.
tongue.gif

I think I'm at a stopping point with speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Though I get the uneasy feeling I'll move to a place with some land so I can build a custom listening room.

It never really ends.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #14 of 31
Don't stop, until you hit the top end IEMs or custom IEMs. There will no more upgrade after that.
smily_headphones1.gif

OOo.. don't forget to by a good DAC/AMP too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back