Stillpoints ERS Cloth works
Feb 26, 2008 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Tgun5

Head-Fier
Stillpoints ERS cloth is a self –stick treatment that comes in 8 x 10 sheets. I have grown to love this stuff.

Specifically, ERS rejects and absorbs EMI and RFI interference and it does so very efficiently. I say this because it doesn’t take full coverage to make a audible improvement. ERS does the best job if attached internally to your equipments case. I noticed an immediate improvement just laying one sheet on the top of both my CD player and preamp.

Most of us have bought in to the idea that EMI and RFI are detrimental to our entire audio chain. This is evidenced by the many power conditioners that are now sold to eliminate the same. The problem is that these only solve the RFI interference that exists in the power line. RFI is present in every part of your audio chain. According to Stillpoints, digital gear not only is more affected by EMI/RFI but actually produces RFI internally! For this reason, they feel the ERS works even better on digital gear.

This reminds me of a RFI toy that I had as a child. If you are over 50, you may remember the “radio rocket” which was nothing more than a transistor, potentiometer, and earphone. You would find ANY metal, attach the alligator clip, and you had a radio. Any metal object contained enough RFI to be an antenna. We would use fences, garage door tracks, and lamp cords – anything metal worked. This was a great toy back in the 60’s and proves that RFI is everywhere. Think of the increase of it since the 1960’s!

Stillpoints ERS works, and from a price standpoint, they are a steal. These sheets improve the sound across the board and do so in a similar manner to any well-designed EMI/RFI filtration product. This includes removing a level of grain that you previously didn’t realize was there. Inner detail and focus, and transparency can improve dramatically. Dramatic is a description that is easy to use considering that these sheets are only $20 a piece. I also gained an improvement in soundstage width. I treated my entire system with four sheets and actually went overboard on the CD player. This is the efficiency I spoke of earlier. There is an improvement with just one sheet on the inside top of you components. You gain slightly more using it on the bottom inside panel as well. Mounting it on the sides is overkill and a waste of material. I ended up covering only the power supply in my Aesthetix Calypso, and the top inside panel of my Magnepan 3.6 crossovers.

As with any tweak, ERS does require some experimentation. I read all the printed reviews to get a starting point for my use. I did initially mount a sheet above the analog boards in my CD player and after 6 hours, removed it. Although there was an improvement using it there, the highs were slightly too prevalent with it in place. In some analog circuits, the presence of EMI/RFI is tuned into the frequency response of the device. ERS can effect of the amplitude of the high frequency and/or the low frequency extremes resulting in a less than desirable balance.

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 32
I must say that I agree. Based on your description, I found the non-adhesive version on TweekGeek.com and ordered the 4-Pak of 8 x 11 sheets. I installed a layer above and below my computer's PSU, a layer over the HeadRoom Desktop PSU feeding my DAC, and a layer wrapped around the top three sides of the transformer on my Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD tube amp. The first thing I noticed was that an obscuring glare that I hadn't explicitly noticed before was missing from the highs. With that out of the way, a nicely wider and more natural dynamic range presented itself, along with more inner detail across the acoustic spectrum - resulting in a more realistic and natural sound all around. My favorite improvement is in how well-recorded concert grand piano sounds: with all the spectral richness and eloquent timbral versatility and expressiveness of a live concert grand harp - with deep tonality and smooth transition of sonic qualities through all octaves. And I still have a sheet left with which to put a layer above and below my CD player's PSU. At this point in my rig's development, this is more improvement than I thought would be possible for the $70 I spent for this 4-pak of Stillpoints ERS cloth sheets. I've been listening through my favorite music across all genres with a silly grin on my face for hours now. If you're thinking you want some of what I've been having, it's the heady, intoxicating draught of a purer elixir of audio going down smooth over the sonic palate from which the harshness of interference impurities has been filtered out by the Stillpoints ERS cloth sheets. Cheers!!!

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tgun5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stillpoints ERS cloth is a self –stick treatment that comes in 8 x 10 sheets. I have grown to love this stuff.

Specifically, ERS rejects and absorbs EMI and RFI interference and it does so very efficiently. I say this because it doesn’t take full coverage to make a audible improvement. ERS does the best job if attached internally to your equipments case. I noticed an immediate improvement just laying one sheet on the top of both my CD player and preamp.

Most of us have bought in to the idea that EMI and RFI are detrimental to our entire audio chain. This is evidenced by the many power conditioners that are now sold to eliminate the same. The problem is that these only solve the RFI interference that exists in the power line. RFI is present in every part of your audio chain. According to Stillpoints, digital gear not only is more affected by EMI/RFI but actually produces RFI internally! For this reason, they feel the ERS works even better on digital gear.

This reminds me of a RFI toy that I had as a child. If you are over 50, you may remember the “radio rocket” which was nothing more than a transistor, potentiometer, and earphone. You would find ANY metal, attach the alligator clip, and you had a radio. Any metal object contained enough RFI to be an antenna. We would use fences, garage door tracks, and lamp cords – anything metal worked. This was a great toy back in the 60’s and proves that RFI is everywhere. Think of the increase of it since the 1960’s!

Stillpoints ERS works, and from a price standpoint, they are a steal. These sheets improve the sound across the board and do so in a similar manner to any well-designed EMI/RFI filtration product. This includes removing a level of grain that you previously didn’t realize was there. Inner detail and focus, and transparency can improve dramatically. Dramatic is a description that is easy to use considering that these sheets are only $20 a piece. I also gained an improvement in soundstage width. I treated my entire system with four sheets and actually went overboard on the CD player. This is the efficiency I spoke of earlier. There is an improvement with just one sheet on the inside top of you components. You gain slightly more using it on the bottom inside panel as well. Mounting it on the sides is overkill and a waste of material. I ended up covering only the power supply in my Aesthetix Calypso, and the top inside panel of my Magnepan 3.6 crossovers.

As with any tweak, ERS does require some experimentation. I read all the printed reviews to get a starting point for my use. I did initially mount a sheet above the analog boards in my CD player and after 6 hours, removed it. Although there was an improvement using it there, the highs were slightly too prevalent with it in place. In some analog circuits, the presence of EMI/RFI is tuned into the frequency response of the device. ERS can effect of the amplitude of the high frequency and/or the low frequency extremes resulting in a less than desirable balance.

You really should try Stillpoints other products as well. The results are not subtle. Very noticeable with each addition. Speakers and CD player showed most improvements. Worth every penny.

Paul

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 32
ERS paper may or may not make a difference, and until you write back with the results of an objective comparison (or try an objective comparison ourselves) we'll never know.

Please find a friend, give him one piece of regular paper and one piece of ERS, cover your eyes, and ask him to place one and then the other on your CD player and let you listen carefully to both. Then write back to use here describing what differences you heard in configuration A and configuration B. Then, AFTER YOU HAVE WRITTEN DOWN YOUR IMPRESSIONS, have him tell you which was which, and let us know. So easy! So useful! Thanks!

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Then write back to use here describing what differences you heard in configuration A and configuration B. Then, AFTER YOU HAVE WRITTEN DOWN YOUR IMPRESSIONS, have him tell you which was which, and let us know. So easy! So useful! Thanks!

This is, for better or worse, a DBT (double blind test) free forum. The wisdom of that is currently being debated in http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/wh...haters-303421/

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

ERS paper may or may not make a difference, and until you write back with the results of an objective comparison (or try an objective comparison ourselves) we'll never know.

Please find a friend, give him one piece of regular paper and one piece of ERS, cover your eyes, and ask him to place one and then the other on your CD player and let you listen carefully to both. Then write back to use here describing what differences you heard in configuration A and configuration B. Then, AFTER YOU HAVE WRITTEN DOWN YOUR IMPRESSIONS, have him tell you which was which, and let us know. So easy! So useful! Thanks!

RF shielding is legitimate and easily proven to work.

Mar 12, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RF shielding is legitimate and easily proven to work.

What does this statement have to do with me trying to determine (via objective means) whether or not a piece of something called Stillpoints ERS Paper can actually improve the sound of a DAC merely by sitting on top of it?

Mar 12, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 32
If this stuff is really good why has none made a rig carrying bag with an ERS cloth lining? As a matter of fact, I think I might try that because my AE-2 is quite sensitive to mobile phone signals.

Mar 12, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

What does this statement have to do with me trying to determine (via objective means) whether or not a piece of something called Stillpoints ERS Paper can actually improve the sound of a DAC merely by sitting on top of it?

Good point. I don't want to swat the hornet's nest, but RF shielding has widely accepted industrial applications, is easily demonstrated to work and is effective as claimed.

Whether or not it works when placed on top of a DAC remains to be seen. You're right.

Mar 12, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #11 of 32
I like to put ERS Paper everywhere I can, it gives a drier sound. It's like it dries out the water from the mud and gives more sand in the music. It's great for transients!

Benchmark DAC1
l_0d993e6c31c5385a64e0a8e5b9a81d00.jpg

Benchmark DAC1
l_e611e2502b331768690d091f68124e19.jpg

PS Audio GCC-100
l_817c4eae8358d8cd73843fad66181097.jpg

PS Audio P300 Power Plant
l_3b3da682c82ce080c39ac779acfc465d.jpg

PS Audio Premier Power Plant
l_6cdfbfee27a844f0b06dca87b3e8e504.jpg

Cary 303/300 CD player
l_c0d65db91bf1acfde94d6a9e05527c7d.jpg

l_c2552c28ab0608c531411b16c967ed22.jpg

Mar 12, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #12 of 32
I've got a couple small sheets affixed to the underside of the top of my Rega Apollo. Noticed some minor differences which were similar to what others have claimed, more separation between notes, better dynamics, and less background noise. Nothing major, but didn't seem to make anything sound worse - too clinical, too dry. As far as comparing it to clip-on ferrite chokes, I've tried one of those as well (before trying the ERS paper), on the CDP's power cord, both near the IEC and near the wall outlet. Didn't hear any difference. As always, YMMV.

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 32
Ok, well, Patrick's approach may be a bit much, but if one wanted to go a bit easier in the application of this stuff, what do you guys recommend as "essential" uses of ERS? Wrapping power supplies, I'm sure, but what else?

Would lining the insides of my DAC & CDP housing be as effective as using it liberally on parts of the DAC/CDP? What about a solid state amp? would one sheet inside the housing be enough, or (again) would wrapping the power supplies be the best application? What about the power conditioner?

What's the best deal going on this stuff right now, by the way?

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #15 of 32
I'd just like to know how he came up with the cash for his VD power cords...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back