Stillpoints ERS Cloth works
Jul 11, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #16 of 32
I got my 100 sheets from Partsconnexion for a 15% discount. Ask them and they will give.

When using a power conditioner the biggest difference comes from wrapping the power cord between power conditioner and source. The power conditioner cleans the noise from the wall and outputs clean power, but if the output power cord isn't shielded it gets re-infected with noise.
Wrapping the power cord between wall and power conditioner barely made a difference since the apartment wiring is already infected.

I have PS Audio Quintet + Premier Power Plant with VD Genesis power cables. Wrapping the 9feet Genesis between Premier and DAC made one of the biggest differences I have heard (night and day). When I used a 5 feet Genesis for the DAC the difference from ERS Paper wasn't as big. The longer the cable is the bigger the difference!

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #17 of 32
Yeah, I watched your vids on your MySpace page, lol...

That makes sense re: the power cord between conditioner and source/components. You have a really nice one in the PPP, that's for sure. Aren't your cords already shielded though, or are they not enough shielding? I thought the VD cords all had ferrite powder inside them...does it not help for EMI, or just RF?

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't your cords already shielded though, or are they not enough shielding?

When I used the unshielded Valhalla power cables I heard a difference with 2 layers of ERS Paper. I tried 3 layers and I didn't hear a further improvement.

For shielded power cables a single layer should be enough.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #19 of 32
Did you use all 100 sheets? Do you have any scraps you'd care to part with?

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Did you use all 100 sheets? Do you have any scraps you'd care to part with?

I used all 100 sheets of ERS Paper and it wasn't enough to double wrap everything, I need more.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used all 100 sheets of ERS Paper and it wasn't enough to double wrap everything, I need more.

Damn, well...good luck with that. You should see if you can get it from Stillpoints in wallpaper-sized rolls. It has a really cool pattern to it.

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #22 of 32
Patrick, even though you are very meticulous and liberal in your application of ERS, would you think that say, two sheets in the top and bottom of a CDP, a DAC, and power conditioner, in addition to double-wrapping transformers in an amp, and double wrapping power cords and interconnect terminations would suffice for "most" people? I'm trying to figure how many sheets would be most effective, versus cost efficiency without going overboard.

Another thought on ERS, and carbon fiber in general...CF is very good as shielding for RF and EMI. Would it not be more cost effective to get a roll of something like this, and cut it to size/shape, and use it instead? For one, there's more fiber per square inch (instead of a sheet of paper "infused" with bits of it) providing 100% coverage, and its much more heat resistant...and it's not being targeted at audiopiles (bringing a huge markup). It's an industrial application product, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work as shielding...

Jul 11, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Patrick, even though you are very meticulous and liberal in your application of ERS, would you think that say, two sheets in the top and bottom of a CDP, a DAC, and power conditioner, in addition to double-wrapping transformers in an amp, and double wrapping power cords and interconnect terminations would suffice for "most" people? I'm trying to figure how many sheets would be most effective, versus cost efficiency without going overboard.

I first started with 32 sheets and it was barely enough to cover the whole system without double wrapping anything. It also depends on the length of the power cables. I had to buy more ERS Paper because I didn't have enough for the headphone cable which was 330cm long! Afterwards I found that the headphone cable benefited the most, it sounded like the volume was boosted with 3dB, it gave huge bass, dynamics and low-level detail!

I don't think that more than 50 sheets is needed for most people. But if you really want to cover every space possible, and double wrap all cables, then 200 sheets should be enough.

When putting it inside the casing, tape the edges of the ERS Paper, otherwise it might fry something from a short-circuit.

With ERS Paper it's important to separate it 1cm from the cable because the paper collects and temporarily stores the EMI entering it, and since the external EMI is constant, the storage field around the paper is constant as well. I put the ERS Paper hanging from the cable with scotch tape to separate the field and cable from each other. Here is a video guide: YouTube - ERS Paper part3

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #24 of 32
Well, I wrote Fibre Glast, asking them about the EMI/RF rejection properties of their CF sheets, and I found a company that can do thermal spraying to coat it with metallic compound to improve rejection (as opposed to CF's absorbtion proerties...). We'll see what they say. What, it may just work, and for much cheaper than ERS. If so, I may give it a shot, and if it works...who knows. Maybe a 1000% markup for a custom system tweak, and "member of the trade" status, lol...Hell, it's what they use on stealth planes...OMG, I want an all-carbon fiber system!

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #25 of 32
Shielding is either needed or it isn't. More shielding doesn't equate with better sound.

See ya
Steve

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #26 of 32
No, of course not, but if you can isolate EMI producing bits and pieces, so much the better. Digital equipment is really a) susceptible and b) a main producer of EMI...

Jul 18, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Damn, well...good luck with that. You should see if you can get it from Stillpoints in wallpaper-sized rolls. It has a really cool pattern to it.

I asked them 18 months ago and a roll of ERS Paper costs $6500 in Sweden. The roll is the same size as 225 sheets of ERS Paper. They offered me 30% discount ($4550), but it's still cheaper to buy it one sheet at a time from Partsconnexion without any discounts ($4500). When I cover my walls with ERS Paper, I will tape together small pieces.

Quote:

Patrick,

Listpriset för en rulle ERS med bredden 275 mm och längden 50 linear
yards, är 38 750 kr inkl moms. På detta pris kan jag erbjuda 30%
"mängdrabatt".

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #28 of 32
I'm still on the fence with this stuff...I want to try it out, but not sure if it'll make a big enough difference. Anyone else using it that has any advice? I'm thinking of ordering four sheets and a roll of the tape and using it like this:

CDP: one sheet inside the top of the unit, and a smaller piece covering the digital circuitry. Surrounding the power supply.

DIP: lining the inside, and a very small piece covering the clock. Surrounding the power supply.

DAC: Same as the DIP.

Amp: Wrapping the power supplies.

Cables: Wrapped around the connectors on all digital cables and interconnects, but suspended by using a cardboard tube to keep it from contacting the plugs themselves. Also using a tube to keep it away from the interconnect cable (the digital cables are well shielded, but the IC is just twisted pairs w/o shielding).

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked them 18 months ago and a roll of ERS Paper costs $6500 in Sweden. The roll is the same size as 225 sheets of ERS Paper. They offered me 30% discount ($4550), but it's still cheaper to buy it one sheet at a time from Partsconnexion without any discounts ($4500). When I cover my walls with ERS Paper, I will tape together small pieces.

Patrick you are too cool with your pictures of 100 lb power cables. I have tried to share some great tweaks with head-fi people but every time I mention anything they show up at my house with sheets on their heads and burning crosses so I do not tell anyone here about great stuff anymore. My question is this. With all your ERS paper are your schumann frequency generators still effective. When I slipped a half sheet in between my HR Deshtop power supply and amp my REM 8 only offered a slight improvement where as with no paper it is a huge SQ improvement. BTW I got a portable schumann freq gen set from EMF Safety Superstore- "Electromagnetic Field Detection & Protection". and it is the t**s with my portable grip. Their earthsafe wholehouse unit is quite a bit more powerful than Accoustic Revives and retails for $249 US....Satelliteguy

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSatelliteGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patrick you are too cool with your pictures of 100 lb power cables. I have tried to share some great tweaks with head-fi people but every time I mention anything they show up at my house with sheets on their heads and burning crosses so I do not tell anyone here about great stuff anymore. My question is this. With all your ERS paper are your schumann frequency generators still effective. When I slipped a half sheet in between my HR Deshtop power supply and amp my REM 8 only offered a slight improvement where as with no paper it is a huge SQ improvement. BTW I got a portable schumann freq gen set from EMF Safety Superstore- "Electromagnetic Field Detection & Protection". and it is the t**s with my portable grip. Their earthsafe wholehouse unit is quite a bit more powerful than Accoustic Revives and retails for $249 US....Satelliteguy

I don't have a schumann generator.

Have you tried separating the ERS Paper with 1cm or more? It sounds muddy and quiet if it's too close to the analog signal. Separating the ERS makes it loud, transparent and dynamic.

BTW. Yesterday I bought foam tubes! It is easy and goes fast to slide in the cable and wrap the foam tube with ERS Paper! It is separated 1-2 cm from the conductor. It looks prettier than toilet paper rolls!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back