Still Upgrade Time for the 940s, $1000 Budget
Aug 15, 2014 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TheAdmiralty

Head-Fier
You people can't get rid of me around this section, can you? 
blink.gif

Well, I'm back again, still looking to upgrade the same pair of SRH-940s that I was looking to replace several months ago.  Well, I've picked up some steam and my budget just doubled from $500 to $1000, so NOW it's time to get serious.  Random thoughts - after punching two 1.5mm holes through the tops of both cups, along with the SRH-1540 pads, these actually sound pleasantly warm on a Maverick D1 + Burr Brown OPAMPS.

As usual, I'm bottoming out my wallet here - I know I said I could be flexible last time around, but the four digit mark is going to be an absolute max this time.  Still looking mainly at closed cans, and every time I can add a bit more bass to the old 940s I smile just a bit more, though I'm at the point where detail is starting to suffer... I'd say I've got everything possible out of these.  A pair of LCD2's are definitely in budget, but I'd really like to go closed-back since I'm still a poor college student living around other people.  What would happen were someone to put a pair of the LCD-XC's wood panels in place of the aluminum plates on a pair of LCD2s?  I'm assuming something unpleasant, but it's worth wondering about, and they appear to have the same screw patterns.  I was also poking around the Fostex TH900, which sounds like the perfect match for me, but I'd have to find something either used or open-box, and I have to wonder why they didn't put a detachable cable on those things.  Also considered were the Alpha Dogs + a Schiit Asgard II, but I'm not sure if it would be worth getting a standalone amp over just dropping that money into a better pair of cans on my current Mav D1 alone.  It seems to do a pretty respectable job.  I could always go with the SRH-1540s like I said I was going to half a year ago, but there must be better options out there for twice the money.  Beyer's new cans in my budget don't seem too highly regarded at the moment, so that's out, and Denon seems to have basically ceased to exist.  Audio Technica's ATH-W5000's look interesting, but do they compare to the LCD2 at all, being in a similar price bracket?

I promise, this is the last time I'll be asking:  with this budget ($1K), what would you buy to replace an old pair of Shure SRH-940s?  Music tastes haven't changed - still mostly either rock/metal (Alter Bridge, Evanescence) or a massive collection of epic score (Two Steps from Hell, etc).  I am not a basshead, but I like my percussion to be deep and pounding as much as possible without sacrificing anything.  Any thoughts?  Whatever comes out of this thread is going to be in my mailbox in two weeks, so this is it.

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 17
It will probably be helpful to spend some time here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

My innitial thoughts are that the Fostex TH 600, TH 900 & Shure SRH 1540 are worth your attention.

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 17
You have impeccable timing - I was just pouring over that list.  I'm really looking into the TH600s - they seem like a 'poor' man's TH900.  I've also just noticed something interesting over at Lawton audio - they have some BEAUTIFUL wood cups made for these Fostex headphones, but my god are they expensive.  I'm going to take some more time flipping through that roundup to see what I can find...

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 17
I was going to recommend the TH600's myself... they're easy to drive, open sounding, and the slight warmth of the D1 probably would do quite well with them. Just because you have $1K doesn't mean spending all of it will guarantee happiness. ZMF's Vibro is another option to look at, as well as the Beyerdynamic T5P.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 17
...I have to necro the thread to ask this:

Are there any resources as to picking a pair of IEMs?  I've been flipping through them for a while and stumbled on Heir Audio, which I actually kinda like the looks of, but I have no clue whatsoever how to pick a pair of IEMs... I've never even heard a decent pair outside of the $0.50 earbuds that came with my phone.  Just a thought.  I might be interested in going with something ultraportable, but only if I know what I'm doing first.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #6 of 17
I wouldn't buy new Heir Audio IEM's. Management changed when the old owners started Noble Audio, and these new guys are a pain to deal with at times, and they changed some of the tunings compared to what most people know. I'd look to Noble Audio, unless you must have wood... The team with Noble is A+++ and I stand behind them in everything they do. I learned the hard way, two replacements and an upgrade to the new tuning under both owners.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 17
Then I'm glad you said that - it just seems like there are so many options out there from so many different 'boutique' manufacturers that I don't have a clue where to start.  I do like the wood faceplates on Heir Audio's units, but I'm not going to let something like that be the deciding factor.  On that note, I can't find reviews or impressions of anything from either company; I see a lot of talk about John Moulton, but the name means nothing at all to me (sorry, don't take that the wrong way if you read this
blink.gif
)... I just don't really translate the management of a company into a sound signature all that well.  At least with Circumaurals you have comparisons of just about everything to everything else to base things off of.  I can't even audition anything, seeing that I live in the technological dead-zone known as western Pennsylvania.  No way in hell would I go to any audiologist around here and tell them I'm getting a pair of CIEMs - I'd bet my next paycheck they don't even know what that means.

It's taken me four hours of nonstop surfing to get completely and utterly lost in the world of IEMS, and I don't even know where I started at this point. *sigh* I guess being the newest (read: lowest) employee in a butcher shop has made me hang onto my hourly wages a bit harder than most.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 17
...I have to necro the thread to ask this:

Are there any resources as to picking a pair of IEMs?  I've been flipping through them for a while and stumbled on Heir Audio, which I actually kinda like the looks of, but I have no clue whatsoever how to pick a pair of IEMs... I've never even heard a decent pair outside of the $0.50 earbuds that came with my phone.  Just a thought.  I might be interested in going with something ultraportable, but only if I know what I'm doing first.

Yes. Here's a Buyer's Guide. The rest of the site is excellent, especially the searchable list.

Regarding closed overs ears for metal, ZMF Vibro + tubes = 3D electric guitar solos!

PS Someone made a closed LCD2: http://www.head-fi.org/t/509710/audeze-lcd-2-impressions-thread/2715#post_10385664

Best luck!

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 17

...this is how I feel right now. 

It's tempting to shoot off an email to the guys at Noble, but I feel like they have more important things to be doing than giving their opinion to someone shopping for earphones.

I was up 'till five in the morning surfing this stuff.  I can find no reviews or thoughts on the N3 at all... I was reading about their being tuned to a "V" which sounds like something I'd like, but I still can't find any clear thoughts on how a $550 (actually more like $350 with a nice acrylic shell) pair of IEMs would compare to the headphones I have now in terms of depth, soundstage, and whatnot. I just can't shake the feeling that I'm putting this money into a sidestep rather than an actual improvement.  I do like the sounds of the N5 - I'm hearing reports that the N4's lows don't extend all that deep, and that's exactly why I'm ditching the 940s... I wonder if the guys over at Noble would be interested in Wizard-ing up a pair of universal acrylic N5s.  Looks like it would be $850 if it follows the same pricing scheme as the other 'Wizard'-series universals.

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #10 of 17
Email Noble! They'd love to help you pick something, Brannan Mason is all about that!

The N3's are basically an upgrade to Heir Audio's 3.AI which I own (upgraded to the new S tuning). I'll link a review I wrote with them in it soon. I'd expect better soundstage and more even lower treble compared to the ones I own, just due to historical trends and what Noble had focused on lately.

IEM's usually can't provide the full headphone experience because of the soundstage and less tactile bass response... But they play better out of portable devices and don't need crazy gear to sound great. Plus, portability is a huge plus.

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 17
Yep... I'm not unhappy with my 940s as long as they stay in one piece... for $299, they were probably one of the best purchases I've made in a long time.  The more I think about it, though, the more I like the thought of having something that sounds just as good in a portable package, since I do the typical amount of walking expected of someone constantly walking across campus.

I just sent along a message to the guys at Noble... can't wait to hear what they have to say back!

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 17
Here's that thread I promised, http://www.head-fi.org/t/726848/headphone-palooza-shoot-out-8-cans-reviewed-here. I use my 3.ai's for on campus too. Wearing cans is just too cumbersome and awkward, with no increase in sound quality due to there being lots of noise between classes and such that never can get blocked out so well by cans compared to well fitting IEM's (plus IEM"s sound better from a phone as most cans need moar power or whatever), IMHO.

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 17
Thanks!  Interesting review article you've got there... I'd love so much to get a pair of LCD2s, but between the weight, the size, and their completely open nature, I feel like I just wouldn't find myself wearing them too often.

You guys really aren't kidding about Noble's support.  I sent along what looked like a two page thesis essay to them at eight last night (man, I need to start paraphrasing things better); I just checked my maill and I now have a reply from Brannan explaining what they can do, and what would be best for me.  They'd be glad to make a pair of Noble N5W's in the two-tone amybona burl, and it would be $850 as expected judging by the rest of their pricing... $870 with an extra pair of tips.  I wonder if they have any other woods available.  $850 is a bit hard to swallow for a pair of little earphones and knocks out my budget for a (probably unneeded) Schiit Asgard II entirely, but I'm still a bit afraid I'll get them and not like what I hear.  Guess I've felt the same way about every other headphone I've owned... I really admire this company, though, and I think I'll put in an order as soon as some funds clear from piecing out the old desktop PC on eBay.  I'll never know if I don't give them a chance.  Looks like the lead-in time is around 2-3 weeks... That time's going to kill me, but I guess I can wait. 

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #15 of 17
The N3's might be a cheaper comparable option to the 5's, similar lifted bass, but more v-shaped treble. Yeah, I wish the 2's were closed sometimes so I could use them in more settings. The weight you get used to, the pads and headband are amongst the best I've tried, and there's still ways they could be improved.

Also, I'm glad you got a response from Noble! And you're not the only one with the problem of keeping things pithy, haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back